Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

dhurtubise

Post by dhurtubise »

Belgian wrote:
admviolin wrote:I LOVE the St. Louis. US prices are around $3-4, Volo is about $12.

A better Gueuze than the Cuvee Rene, really sour up front but not alot of complexity like more expensive gueuzes.
Right, the Belle Vue Gueuze the LC had some 15 years ago was well worth the $36.00 for a twelve-case. These simpler Gueese have a place, sadly not the St. Louis for me (*shudder*) and the Belle Vue is made no more (got to say it really kicked some ass alongside Tex-Mex food from Coyote Willie's at Queen and Broadview...)

Anybody have experience/opinions with good "everyday" Gueuze that are solid amazing beers just not overpowering? I still haven't even tried the DreiFonteinen ones I picked up...
Hi Belgian.

I think I'm understanding your question correctly, but I'm not sure.

Lambics (and by extension Geuze which is a blended Lambic) are generally classified in two categories.

1. Traditional Lambic
2. Commercial Lambic

Of the beers you mentioned in your post, the Bellevue Geuze is a commercial Lambic, all of Girardin products fall firmly into the Trad Lambic category and judging by your reaction to the St-Louis ("yeesh"), you could have had either their sweet commercial Geuze or their wonderfully sour traditional Geuze Vieille Provision - depending on your predilections. Trois Fontaines, or Drie Fontenen only exports Traditional Lambic but they have the most delectable /remarkable sweet commercial Lambic in their café located in Beersels, just south of Brussels). In fact, their little kriek I had there was an aha! moment as in... "That is why that style exists!"

Traditional and commercial Lambic are so different from one another that there is virtually no chance even an amateur beer drinker could not recognize both styles independently once they've had one of each.

Traditional Lambic are characterized first by a very potent sourness that can be off putting the first few times you have one (especially if you start off with some of the more robust examples - ie. Girardin or Cantillon products). This is lent to them by the microbiota that pervades the air in the Senne River Valley in the coldest months of the year - read a blend of some 300+ organisms that inoculate the wort, most notably lactic acid producing bacteria and a variety of wild yeast. Next they are ALWAYS dry because the blend of organisms in the beer will ferment the base beer down so much that it becomes perfectly safe for diabetics (SPG 1.001-1.003 for the home brewers out there). Then it is never hoppy. They use old stale hops, only in the boiling (primary hop) process to extract their antiseptic properties, and a 3 hour boiling of the wort virtually guarantees that none of the herbal hop character remains. Finally, they are typically amongst the most effervescent beers produced in the world.
A Geuze will be produced by blending old Lambic (typically 18-24 months) with young ones (6 months) to the desired acidity.

Commercial Lambic used to be produced by taking a young Lambic and sweetening it with surgars or fruit varietals, and serving them very shortly afterwards. The sugars would ferment out fairly quickly, and the beer would become dry as the microbiota would consume them, rendering them more like a traditional Lambic if not drunk soon enough. What the commercial Lambic producers have been doing, is killing the base beer (heating it up) so that the microorganisms are dead and cannot ferment out the added sugars so that the beer remains sweet. I believe the common practice now is to use either a very young Lambic, or I suspect more likely they are blending a young Lambic (5-10%) with a lager. Then they sweeten it with their chosen sugars/fruit and carbonate it. This results in slightly sour (if you look for it) beer that is characterized by a predominant sweetness.

So to answer one of your questions, I no longer like any of the commercial Geuze, but I do remember when I did. I remember Boon Geuze as being slightly better then Bellevue, Liefman's (edit:sorry-I meant Lindemans), Mort Subite, Chapeau and the rest of their gang. Of the commercial Lambic, Leifmans (edit: sorry - Lindemans) is generally noted as the best producer, but Chapeau made excellent ones - in fact my fovorite ones- i think they use a reasonable young lambic before sweetening it.

The commercials is a path many of us go through until we discover and start to appreciate the traditional variety. I agree with you that there is a room, a place for these types of beer. I often serve it to women who don't like beer (commercial fruit Lambic) and it is a good path to discovering their true crown jewels, the traditionals.
Last edited by dhurtubise on Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Liefmans is not a producer of lambic beers. They produce sour brown ales generally referred to as Oude Bruin. We periodically bring in their Goudenband. We also regularly bring in De Ranke's Cuvee and Kriek both of which are Oude Bruins blended with Girardin lambic. We have just received our first shipment of Timmermans Oude Gueuze which we will be bringing in regularly. Anyone interested should contact us at espritagencies@sympatico.ca.

Stroonze

Post by Stroonze »

Peter, what has caused the delay with the goudenband?

dhurtubise

Post by dhurtubise »

esprit wrote:Liefmans is not a producer of lambic beers. They produce sour brown ales generally referred to as Oude Bruin. We periodically bring in their Goudenband. We also regularly bring in De Ranke's Cuvee and Kriek both of which are Oude Bruins blended with Girardin lambic. We have just received our first shipment of Timmermans Oude Gueuze which we will be bringing in regularly. Anyone interested should contact us at espritagencies@sympatico.ca.

Yes, you are right about Liefman's. I was thinking Lindemans.

I'm interested in Timmermans for sure!

Also very interested in both De Ranke's products as well as their XX Bitter.

Stroonze

Post by Stroonze »

Thanks for the PM Peter.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

We are submitting an order to the LCBO next week for De Ranke Cuvee and Kriek as well as the XX Bitter and we'll bring in anything else from De Ranke that someone might be interested in. Again, please e-mail us directly at espritagencies@sympatico.ca.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Girardin White is a great everyday Gueuze Belgian.

dhurtubise

Post by dhurtubise »

esprit wrote:We are submitting an order to the LCBO next week for De Ranke Cuvee and Kriek as well as the XX Bitter and we'll bring in anything else from De Ranke that someone might be interested in. Again, please e-mail us directly at espritagencies@sympatico.ca.
Great news! Thanks Peter. You are providing ontarians with an indispensable service. :)

dhurtubise

Post by dhurtubise »

iguenard wrote:Girardin White is a great everyday Gueuze Belgian.
Yes. It's a Trad Lambic, but not one of the most assertive. I'd argue that any of the traditional Geuze is an "everyday Geuze". :)

Commercial (sweet) and traditional (sour and dry) are better, more useful descriptors. Someone might think of Mort subite Geuze or st-Louis Geuze as "every day" gueuze. I certainly do not.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

in case people don't read the lcbo debate thread..
esprit wrote:after an absence of some 11 years, SMUTTYNOSE of New Hampshire is coming back. Their ROBUST PORTER will be part of the AUTUMN release this year.
lcbo is on fire with porters lately. Deschutes, founders, great lakes, now this!

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

dhurtubise wrote:
iguenard wrote:Girardin White is a great everyday Gueuze Belgian.
Yes. It's a Trad Lambic, but not one of the most assertive. I'd argue that any of the traditional Geuze is an "everyday Geuze". :)

If you'd drink Cantillon Gueuze everyday, I wouldn't want to be your stomach. Girardin is barnyard plenty without the lactic punch of a Cantillon. Id drink that shit everyday. Always available in Quebec through private orders, and comes in a convenient 330ml format.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

this has a product number now:

315754 - Worthington's White Shied - 500ml

http://www.molsoncoors.com/en/Brands/Gl ... hield.aspx

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Sam Adams Cold Snap
3M Gose
TDD Saison Du Tracteur
Railway City Shambock
Cameron's Rye Bock
Thornbridge Chiron
Samuel Smith Organic Apricot Ale
Williams Brothers Fraoch Heather Ale
Mcewan's Scotch Ale (coming back)
Innis & Gunn Smokin' Gunn
Southern Tier Compass

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

PeenSteen wrote: Southern Tier Compass
this looks interesting. I'm guessing more than a few of these are part of the summer release based on the styles

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

PeenSteen wrote:Sam Adams Cold Snap
3M Gose
TDD Saison Du Tracteur
Railway City Shambock
Cameron's Rye Bock
Thornbridge Chiron
Samuel Smith Organic Apricot Ale
Williams Brothers Fraoch Heather Ale
Mcewan's Scotch Ale (coming back)
Innis & Gunn Smokin' Gunn
Southern Tier Compass
That looks better than the Spring Release!