Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Frere Ambroise wrote:
lister wrote:Impatiently waiting for St. Ambroise's Maple in can or bottle form...
Ahhh... please send an email to http://hellolcbo.com/app/ask/session/L3 ... akhxT2w%3D

We submitted our Maple 4pack last year. And LCBO declined it. No reason. :o

Just curious -- would you prefer the Maple in the bottle or can format? I am recommending we keep our "fall, winter, spring" seasonals in bottles -- that being the Pumpkin, Scotch, and Maple while suggesting our summer seasonal (Raspberry) appear in cans. Thoughts?

Regarding the Oatmeal Stout - likely will be in LCBO by the fall.

Cheers,
Barry
Still haven't tried the Maple yet, but heard great things. I've always thought St. Amby's IPA would be a good English IPA regular in Ontario, but hey, what do I know?
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Frere Ambroise wrote:
lister wrote:Impatiently waiting for St. Ambroise's Maple in can or bottle form...

Just curious -- would you prefer the Maple in the bottle or can format?
Ugh. You'd think this is the exact sort of thing they'd jump at. I'd say bottle... for no rational reason at all.
Craft beer hipster before it was cool

Jonah Hex

Post by Jonah Hex »

Frere Ambroise wrote:Ahhh... please send an email to http://hellolcbo.com/app/ask/session/L3 ... akhxT2w%3D

Just curious -- would you prefer the Maple in the bottle or can format? I am recommending we keep our "fall, winter, spring" seasonals in bottles -- that being the Pumpkin, Scotch, and Maple while suggesting our summer seasonal (Raspberry) appear in cans. Thoughts?
Email sent. The draft version was great when it was last here. I'm hoping to have that again soon! Damn, I was really looking forward to those Maple ale 4 packs. :(

Any chance resubmitting the Maple ale as single cans or single bottles would be accepted this year? I don't really care about the format, I just want the good stuff inside! ;)
Scott T.
No, I will not "beam you up."

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Frere Ambroise wrote:Ahhh... please send an email to http://hellolcbo.com/app/ask/session/L3 ... akhxT2w%3D
Done!
:evil: Bastards! You'd think a maple product screams Canadian and they'd be all over that!

I do hope kegs will be coming to Toronto at some point. I think I drank about a quarter of the keg at Bar Hop last time. :P
I generally prefer cans. They're smaller, more uniform in size, fit in my fridges better and 0% chance of getting lightstruck.

Why the difference in format between the seasonals?
lister

ECBS

Post by ECBS »

Done. Thanks for the info, Barry!

Frere Ambroise

Post by Frere Ambroise »

Why the difference in format between the seasonals?
No real reason -- that it just my personal preference as I visualize the colder weather brews in bottles in my fridge while the Raspberry is in a can in a cooler while camping.

Also - I get the notion that 473ml format of Scotch and even Pumpkin and Maple might be "too much rich" flavoured beer for one sitting. Where as 341ml bottle is just about right. IMO. The tartness with the Raspberry is okay in the larger format - again, IMO.

Thanks for the LCBO emails folks!

I don't want to sabotage this topic to be St. Ambroise thread - so send me a PM if you like.

Cheers,
Barry

Grey

Post by Grey »

Frere Ambroise wrote: Ahhh... please send an email to http://hellolcbo.com/app/ask/session/L3 ... akhxT2w%3D

declined for no reason? ugh. E-mail sent. 8)
Just curious -- would you prefer the Maple in the bottle or can format?
I prefer bottles but cans are fine too.

Since we're on the subject of St-Ambroise, did the India Pale Ale ever show up? (LCBO product #357814)

Frere Ambroise

Post by Frere Ambroise »

Since we're on the subject of St-Ambroise, did the India Pale Ale ever show up? (LCBO product #357814)
Again - LCBO declined. So we brought the IPA 6packs to TBS. It's been on the shelves since November.

For locations, check out: http://www.thebeerstore.ca/beers/st-amb ... a-pale-ale

I had some on the weekend with some nice Rogan Josh & Channa Masala. Yummy.

Cheers,
Barry

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

PeenSteen wrote: Anchor Porter
That's kind of exciting. I was always surprised we don't get more Anchor products up here. I mean Steam and Liberty Ale are both awesome beers, and they have been in the LCBO for so long, I really wonder why they haven't tried to branch out before now.

nickw

Post by nickw »

Kel Varnsen wrote:
PeenSteen wrote: Anchor Porter
That's kind of exciting. I was always surprised we don't get more Anchor products up here. I mean Steam and Liberty Ale are both awesome beers, and they have been in the LCBO for so long, I really wonder why they haven't tried to branch out before now.
The Porter's been in Manitoba's MLCC for a while, so it's not as if it's market size.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

nickw wrote:The Porter's been in Manitoba's MLCC for a while, so it's not as if it's market size.
It's also available in Taiwan. That's the first and only place I think that I've had Anchor Porter. The bottle market there has grown by leaps and bounds since I first visited about 6-7 years ago. Draft has been a slower climb but it's improving.
lister

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

lister wrote:
nickw wrote:Anchor Porter's been in Manitoba's MLCC...
It's also available in Taiwan...
^ In-laws? :) That is one very impressive beer for one that's not too heavy weight:
Bottle - not at all what I was expecting and I love it. Has aromas ant taste of chocolate and fruit, and an earthy-sour taste that is great, plus a solid dry hop note on the palate. A bit milky and a hint of sweet spiciness. Absolutely unique beer, only thing close to it was Guinness Foreign Extra Stout (the dry sourness.) Dark brown with big tan head.RB 4.0 / 5
In Beerum Veritas

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Belgian wrote:^ In-laws? :)
Yeah...
lister

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Frere Ambroise wrote:
So we brought the IPA 6packs to TBS. It's been on the shelves since November.
Didn't know about this...this is great news...I quite like this nice English IPA.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Eli

Post by Eli »

I am not sure if it means it's coming back but the Ayinger Weisse no longer has the discontinued tag on it

AYINGER BRAU-WEISSE
LCBO 273656 | 500 mL bottle
Price $ 2.75