Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

boney wrote:
Robohop destroys everything else hoppy that the LCBO currently or has ever carried. Giddyup!
Yeah - this will be awesome.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Frere Ambroise wrote: AYINGER BRAU-WEISSE

Folks - just heard from the agent for this brand... LCBO had it listed incorrectly and it will be $3.95/bottle. Still - pretty decent price for a pretty decent beer.
Weihenstephaner is still a great deal at $.80 cheaper. I'd sell both of their souls to satan for Franziskaner, because it has nicer clovey phenolics and a remarkably balanced taste... actually might go get some in Buffalo. Never mind then!
In Beerum Veritas

Alpha10

Post by Alpha10 »

ROBOHOP!!

JProulx

Post by JProulx »

Frere Ambroise wrote:
JProulx wrote:
Eli wrote:I am not sure if it means it's coming back but the Ayinger Weisse no longer has the discontinued tag on it

AYINGER BRAU-WEISSE
LCBO 273656 | 500 mL bottle
Price $ 2.75
Damn, that would be nice. One of my favourites, for sure.
Folks - just heard from the agent for this brand... LCBO had it listed incorrectly and it will be $3.95/bottle. Still - pretty decent price for a pretty decent beer.

Cheers,
Barry
Thanks for the update. That's an okay price for it. I'll still buy some, but definitely won't be making multiple trips.[/i]

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

PeenSteen wrote:GLB Robohop
Any idea on the format of it? I'd assume bombers like every other Tank Ten release...?

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Kekumba wrote:
Any idea on the format of it? I'd assume bombers like every other Tank Ten release...?
Hope it's cans, it would be the difference between me buying multiple cans over a single bomber
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Hawks28

Post by Hawks28 »

icemachine wrote:
Kekumba wrote:
Hope it's cans, it would be the difference between me buying multiple cans over a single bomber
it will be bombers.

JProulx

Post by JProulx »

Hawks28 wrote:
icemachine wrote:
Kekumba wrote: Any idea on the format of it? I'd assume bombers like every other Tank Ten release...?
it will be bombers.
That's very, very disappointing. I'm with icemachine. Large format is substantially reducing the quantity of beer I will buy, and the total amount I will spend. I hope the brewers are making a good margin on those bottles.

ckoop

Post by ckoop »

JProulx wrote:
Hawks28 wrote:
icemachine wrote: it will be bombers.
That's very, very disappointing. I'm with icemachine. Large format is substantially reducing the quantity of beer I will buy, and the total amount I will spend. I hope the brewers are making a good margin on those bottles.
yep, i only buy large format now if it's something new i haven't tried or something cool to share. and then i usually won't rebuy it unless it's great. i'd rather spend 10 bucks on a sixer of a good ipa then say 7-8 on a great bomber like stone's enjoy by since i'll get one sitting out of the bomber compared to 6 out of the sixer as i usually average one bottle a day.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

JProulx wrote:That's very, very disappointing. I'm with icemachine. Large format is substantially reducing the quantity of beer I will buy, and the total amount I will spend. I hope the brewers are making a good margin on those bottles.
I've pretty much stopped buying the 650ml+ bottles. I want 500ml or less preferably in cans (but not down to those stupid puny Duggan bottles.)

Other than on tap, no GLB Orange Peel this summer. :-(
lister

JProulx

Post by JProulx »

lister wrote:
JProulx wrote:That's very, very disappointing. I'm with icemachine. Large format is substantially reducing the quantity of beer I will buy, and the total amount I will spend. I hope the brewers are making a good margin on those bottles.
I've pretty much stopped buying the 650ml+ bottles. I want 500ml or less preferably in cans (but not down to those stupid puny Duggan bottles.)

Other than on tap, no GLB Orange Peel this summer. :-(
My prime example is Ten Bitter Years. I bought the **** out of that in bottles when I was near their retail store, and was so excited when they announced LCBO availability. I've bought exactly one bomber of it. It just doesn't make sense to buy that size of bottle for beer.

I wish a local brewer could shed some light on why bombers have become the go-to. Is it a shelf space thing? Profit margin? Ease of production? LCBO requirement? Or are new brewers just following the herd, since bombers seem to be one of the modern standards (the other being the much-superior 473mL can)?

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

This is why I have been buying lots of RPA when its fresh. I appreciate that they've ditched their bombers for that beer and its even cheaper now than it used to be at thw brewery...finding fresh stock will be a challenge.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

JProulx wrote:I wish a local brewer could shed some light on why bombers have become the go-to. Is it a shelf space thing? Profit margin? Ease of production? LCBO requirement? Or are new brewers just following the herd, since bombers seem to be one of the modern standards (the other being the much-superior 473mL can)?
I, too, would like to know the answer to this question.

I'm of the same sentiment as the other comments made here. I don't mind a bomber now and again, but I find it limits when I will have it. A tall can or a 500 mL bottle I can have almost anytime.

Baulz

Post by Baulz »

JProulx wrote: I wish a local brewer could shed some light on why bombers have become the go-to. Is it a shelf space thing? Profit margin? Ease of production? LCBO requirement? Or are new brewers just following the herd, since bombers seem to be one of the modern standards (the other being the much-superior 473mL can)?
Do the math, price per ml of beer. Why sell a 500ml can for $2.95 when you can sell a 650ml bomber for $6+.

Also I do think the bombers stand out more at the LCBO, theres so many cans fighting for shelf space.

JProulx

Post by JProulx »

Baulz wrote:
JProulx wrote: I wish a local brewer could shed some light on why bombers have become the go-to. Is it a shelf space thing? Profit margin? Ease of production? LCBO requirement? Or are new brewers just following the herd, since bombers seem to be one of the modern standards (the other being the much-superior 473mL can)?
Do the math, price per ml of beer. Why sell a 500ml can for $2.95 when you can sell a 650ml bomber for $6+.

Also I do think the bombers stand out more at the LCBO, theres so many cans fighting for shelf space.
It's not hard to come up with possible explanations. But without the numbers, we have no certainty.

Why sell a 500mL can for $2.95 when you can sell a bomber for $6? Profit margin might be better on a can, due to lower cost of production. Gross profit may be higher on a can because of volume sales. A can may be more accessible to a beer every-man, as distinct from craft beer enthusiasts. Without the numbers, or some further information, we can only speculate.