Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Pretty much what JProulx and Kel Varnsen wrote! Though my buying of bombers is probably even less than them. Right now the only bomber beer that has me by the short & curlies is Nutcracker. Damn you Ken! :P

In addition sharing bombers isn't the easiest thing to do for me to do. The girlfriend and I are rarely in agreement on the types of beer typically in bombers. The Southern Tier bombers kill me because she doesn't want any and they're high ABV which I tend not to like in beer especially of that much quantity.
lister

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

mahcinesquad wrote:
Belgian wrote:I'd sell both of their souls to satan for Franziskaner, because it has nicer clovey phenolics and a remarkably balanced taste... actually might go get some in Buffalo. Never mind then!
Franziskaner sounds delicious right now.
Hey I'll be over there in ten days, and I think even near Hamburg I can buy Franziskaner - plus the local market carries EVERY beer from Kloster Andechs - all delicious in bottle for some reason...
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JProulx wrote:If beer were more susceptible to resealing, it would be less of a concern. That's why it's not a problem with wine... you don't have to drink the full 750mL all at once. You can have it tomorrow, or in a week.
If I open a beer cold without agitating it, a champagne stopperworks wonders to keep it fresh and drinkable for a few days.

Still, I'm less likely to just open a 750ml based on size VS a 330-341ml. It's purely mental perception, sorry to tell brewers who mean well.

And my recommendation - I would personally not still serve a wine that's been oxidizing for 3-7 days. It's still amazing to cook with since heat changes it anyway, but wine fairly rapidly loses its aromas leaving you with a leafy-dry and sour, puckering taste.
In Beerum Veritas

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

liamt07 wrote: When we're talking about hopped to heck IPAs, vanilla porters and the like, are we still catering to a group of people who cares about "classier" packaging?
Because packaging and marketing still make a difference to a a significant portion of the market. I agree with you, and I personally could care less about packaging as long as the content is good but we are a small percentage of the market unfortunately.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

JerCraigs wrote:
liamt07 wrote: When we're talking about hopped to heck IPAs, vanilla porters and the like, are we still catering to a group of people who cares about "classier" packaging?
Because packaging and marketing still make a difference to a a significant portion of the market. I agree with you, and I personally could care less about packaging as long as the content is good but we are a small percentage of the market unfortunately.
I think most of the people (including me) on this site are beer geeks or closet beer geeks. Marketting and fancy packaging is required when you expect beers to have a little shelf time. The beers we geeks run after are brewery only, special releases, or on tap only.

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

liamt07 wrote:I feel like if you have a canning line, you should be using it to your greatest abilities. There is literally nothing negative you can say about canned beer (or so I believe).
I agree completely; any brewery that has a canning line should employ it at every opportunity.

The only thing bottles really have going for them is aesthetics, which unfortunately is a relevant consideration for many consumers. I don't necessarily dislike the bomber format, I just find them usually overpriced and a little inconvenient for most styles, compared to more affordable tallboys or 4/6-packs.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

surprised no one in toronto's invested in a good canning line. guess the added cost and space of having one in addition to a bottling line is nuts.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

atomeyes wrote:surprised no one in toronto's invested in a good canning line. guess the added cost and space of having one in addition to a bottling line is nuts.
it takes up a ton of space too, mostly because you then also need storage for a bazillion cans. anyone who's currently labeling their bottles just needs one stack of bottles and a bunch of labels, but most of 'em are pre-printing cans so you need a big footprint for each brand. some have come on board with blank cans and stickers, but that's not the norm. it's interesting visiting Gilbertson & Page because, in addition to distributing all the malt in the area, they're also a storage location for cans. tons of pallets stacked 40' high of all your favourite locals. betting that ain't free.
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

Ya, anyone that has been in the new Amsterdam brewery can see how much storage space the cans take up. A good 1/5 of the floor space stacked to the ceiling. Looks like they might have recently acquired the warehouse space next door to them (almost doubling their space) since there was a new door installed in the wall and a forklift driving in and out. I bet they can store loads more cans now!

Comparing brewery size, I don't know where GLB can store all their cans. No where near the vertical space. Guess they must be in Fergus a lot.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

according to cdnbeernews we will see these in may
PeenSteen wrote:Phillips Amnesiac
Phillips Hoperation Tripel Cross
http://www.canadianbeernews.com/2014/04 ... o-ontario/

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

spinrsx wrote:according to cdnbeernews we will see these in may
PeenSteen wrote:Phillips Amnesiac
Phillips Hoperation Tripel Cross
http://www.canadianbeernews.com/2014/04 ... o-ontario/
That says they're coming as part of a BC beer promotion. Maybe the summer feature is "BC"?

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

The next feature is Mikkeller

Also, these are coming:

St.Bernardus Wit
Houblon Chouffe (in a 750ml this time)
Wellington Chocolate Milk Stout
Hop City Lawn Chair
Hop City Hop Bot IPA
Grand River Tailgate
Railway City Witty Traveller

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

PeenSteen wrote:The next feature is Mikkeller

Also, these are coming:

St.Bernardus Wit
Houblon Chouffe (in a 750ml this time)
Wellington Chocolate Milk Stout
Hop City Lawn Chair
Hop City Hop Bot IPA
Grand River Tailgate
Railway City Witty Traveller
yes!
St Berny Wit is so fucking underrated. it will be a great summer/patio beer.
and i really dig Houblon Chouffe. The yeast character with the bitterness works wonderfully. and the alcohol is hidden to hell. a dangerous summer beer. hopefully, the stuff we get still tastes fresh.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

Belgian wrote:
mahcinesquad wrote: Hey I'll be over there in ten days, and I think even near Hamburg I can buy Franziskaner - plus the local market carries EVERY beer from Kloster Andechs - all delicious in bottle for some reason...
Interesting...I bought a few bottles of Kloster Andechs the last time I was there and was rather disappointed. I thought it tasted better on tap, but then again it might have been the atmosphere sitting out on the terrace with the oom-pah band ;)

The thing I could not find last time is the Schneider Weiss Eisbock. That was a quest of mine that failed. And despite a rumor that it was coming to the LCBO, it seems to have not.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

from black oaks fb feed: Black Oak Saison coming soon to the Lcbo.