Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing current and upcoming LCBO, Beer Store and Grocery Store releases and policies.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

jrenihan
Posts: 175
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:36 am

Postby jrenihan » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:01 pm

squeaky wrote:
IPA_Lover wrote:
Great, so is that bottle of Bellwoods 2014 Motley Cru I have laying around going to taste like crap now?


The Motley is a different beast because of all the Brett and the barrels. It's got a whole lot more going on than just being an IPA. That said, I probably wouldn't hang on to it for months and months. I'm going to drink my last sometime this summer.


Has anybody recently opened a bottle of the 2014 Motley Cru? If so, very interested to hear your thoughts. I absolutely loved the beer when it was new, and have been holding onto my last two bottles. I am torn between drinking it now due to a fear that aging won't help much and holding on to it just because I don't want it all to be gone! If anybody thinks it is improving (or the reverse), I'd love to hear it.
Ren
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9762
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Postby Belgian » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:27 pm

^ I would Warrant that Motley Crue will never become Poison.
In Beerum Veritas
PeenSteen
Bar Fly
Posts: 716
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:41 pm
Location: Toronto

Postby PeenSteen » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:55 pm

Opened my last two weeks ago, still really good but not as stellar as it was the day it dropped....not too far off though but certainly not improving.
liamt07
Bar Fly
Posts: 597
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:36 pm
Location: Downsview/Toronto

Postby liamt07 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:50 pm

PeenSteen wrote:Opened my last two weeks ago, still really good but not as stellar as it was the day it dropped....not too far off though but certainly not improving.

I was there. Good, not great. Brett is there, but any dry hopping has faded.
User avatar
beerguykw
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:37 am

Postby beerguykw » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:33 am

Belgian wrote:^ I would Warrant that Motley Crue will never become Poison.


Well done, sir.
rfrf
Posts: 213
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:55 am

Postby rfrf » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:24 pm

KC still out at king and spadina... have to ask for it.
IPA_Lover
Posts: 182
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:26 am
Location: Toronto

Postby IPA_Lover » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:53 pm

Belgian wrote:^ I would Warrant that Motley Crue will never become Poison.


Agreed, nicely done. :)
^^^Hop-head ^^^
sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly
Posts: 722
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:55 am
Location: Guelph

Postby sofakingdrunk » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:21 pm

I've got a bottle of the 2013 Motley Crue sitting in the fridge.....any thoughts on what it will be like? I'm rather new to the "aging" beer game.
ChrisK
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 3:07 pm
Location: Toronto

Postby ChrisK » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:25 pm

sofakingdrunk wrote:I've got a bottle of the 2013 Motley Crue sitting in the fridge.....any thoughts on what it will be like? I'm rather new to the "aging" beer game.


Had my last one about a month ago. It had been sitting unrefrigerated in the dark since release. Still very good, lots of port flavour, no real oxidation that i could detect. I wouldn't recommend hanging onto it for much longer, though. I don't think further aging will do it any favours as a year+ didn't have much impact one way or the other, in my opinion.
User avatar
Blasphomet
Posts: 446
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:07 am

Postby Blasphomet » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:58 pm

In my cellaring/aging experience (been testing it out with for about 3 or 4 years now) I've really only had a few brews that I thought were better. Other than that, really not much detectable difference at all.

I aged a bottle of Flying Monkeys Matador for about a year, and found it do be much nicer. A tad less cedar flavour, and more citrusy, almost flowery hop flavour. Enjoy that one more was a surprise for me.

The other I enjoyed more after a year were the Stormy Monday and Cuvee Van De Keizer Blauw.

Imperial Stouts are far and away my favourite style of beer, so I was hoping for a lot more from aging some of them, but in all honestly, I've found either no difference, or a negative change in most I've tried so far.

And I do age in a dark basement in a cool room.

It's true what they say I guess... cellaring experiences are a completely personal think. I'll continue to do it with some trappist and belgian style ales (ie. saison, sours, lambic, etc.), as well as with barley wines... but I think I'm moving away from doing so with RIS's. I need to start drinking some stuff, but find once I've cellared stuff, it's like I want to keep it forever and now drink it. :D
sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly
Posts: 722
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:55 am
Location: Guelph

Postby sofakingdrunk » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:43 am

I've got two bottles of Cuvee Van De Keizer Blauw that i've been sitting on for over a year. May open one and see how she is. I havn't really done toomuch tasting, as far as aged beers go. I've got a bunch of stuff in the basement, but havn't really dipped into it very much. I drank a Rocheforte 8 with just under a year of age on it......and thought it was much better than fresh. I've got a 2012 Amsterdam Tempest sitting there and a couple 2013's. Aslo have a few Dupont Saisons.....anyone give me an idea how long i should hold on to those? I've got 2 four packs of Founders breakfast stout down there also, not sure how long/how well those will fare.
User avatar
Craig
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1672
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:23 am

Postby Craig » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:47 am

sofakingdrunk wrote:I've got two bottles of Cuvee Van De Keizer Blauw that i've been sitting on for over a year. May open one and see how she is. I havn't really done toomuch tasting, as far as aged beers go. I've got a bunch of stuff in the basement, but havn't really dipped into it very much. I drank a Rocheforte 8 with just under a year of age on it......and thought it was much better than fresh. I've got a 2012 Amsterdam Tempest sitting there and a couple 2013's. Aslo have a few Dupont Saisons.....anyone give me an idea how long i should hold on to those? I've got 2 four packs of Founders breakfast stout down there also, not sure how long/how well those will fare.


For whatever it's worth, when Amsterdam release the double tempest and included the three-year vertical tasting with a purchase, I thought the beer really fell off a cliff in the third year sample I tasted. Aged one year was my favourite, iirc, but they were all considerably better than the 3 year. So I'd probably drink the 2012 soonish. Maybe this fall if you're like most people and start craving stouts when the evenings start getting a little cooler?
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9762
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Postby Belgian » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:21 am

Dupont Saison is a Vieille Provision. Can love it long time.
In Beerum Veritas
sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly
Posts: 722
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:55 am
Location: Guelph

Postby sofakingdrunk » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:40 pm

squeaky wrote:
sofakingdrunk wrote:I've got two bottles of Cuvee Van De Keizer Blauw that i've been sitting on for over a year. May open one and see how she is. I havn't really done toomuch tasting, as far as aged beers go. I've got a bunch of stuff in the basement, but havn't really dipped into it very much. I drank a Rocheforte 8 with just under a year of age on it......and thought it was much better than fresh. I've got a 2012 Amsterdam Tempest sitting there and a couple 2013's. Aslo have a few Dupont Saisons.....anyone give me an idea how long i should hold on to those? I've got 2 four packs of Founders breakfast stout down there also, not sure how long/how well those will fare.


For whatever it's worth, when Amsterdam release the double tempest and included the three-year vertical tasting with a purchase, I thought the beer really fell off a cliff in the third year sample I tasted. Aged one year was my favourite, iirc, but they were all considerably better than the 3 year. So I'd probably drink the 2012 soonish. Maybe this fall if you're like most people and start craving stouts when the evenings start getting a little cooler?




Thanks for the heads up. Looks like i'll be opening the 2012 soon then, maybe i'll wait for a coolish fall night and sit outside and do a back to back 2012/2013.
sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly
Posts: 722
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:55 am
Location: Guelph

Postby sofakingdrunk » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:41 pm

Belgian wrote:Dupont Saison is a Vieille Provision. Can love it long time.


Good news....down to only 3 bottles left and I havn't seen any in the lcbo for over a year. Hopefully it returns soon so i can re-stock. Whats the longest you've held onto one?

Return to “LCBO, Beer Store and Grocery Stores”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests