Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

squeaky wrote:
IPA_Lover wrote:
Great, so is that bottle of Bellwoods 2014 Motley Cru I have laying around going to taste like crap now?
The Motley is a different beast because of all the Brett and the barrels. It's got a whole lot more going on than just being an IPA. That said, I probably wouldn't hang on to it for months and months. I'm going to drink my last sometime this summer.
Has anybody recently opened a bottle of the 2014 Motley Cru? If so, very interested to hear your thoughts. I absolutely loved the beer when it was new, and have been holding onto my last two bottles. I am torn between drinking it now due to a fear that aging won't help much and holding on to it just because I don't want it all to be gone! If anybody thinks it is improving (or the reverse), I'd love to hear it.
Ren

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

^ I would Warrant that Motley Crue will never become Poison.
In Beerum Veritas

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Opened my last two weeks ago, still really good but not as stellar as it was the day it dropped....not too far off though but certainly not improving.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

PeenSteen wrote:Opened my last two weeks ago, still really good but not as stellar as it was the day it dropped....not too far off though but certainly not improving.
I was there. Good, not great. Brett is there, but any dry hopping has faded.

beerguykw

Post by beerguykw »

Belgian wrote:^ I would Warrant that Motley Crue will never become Poison.
Well done, sir.

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

KC still out at king and spadina... have to ask for it.

IPA_Lover

Post by IPA_Lover »

Belgian wrote:^ I would Warrant that Motley Crue will never become Poison.
Agreed, nicely done. :)
^^^Hop-head ^^^

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

I've got a bottle of the 2013 Motley Crue sitting in the fridge.....any thoughts on what it will be like? I'm rather new to the "aging" beer game.

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

sofakingdrunk wrote:I've got a bottle of the 2013 Motley Crue sitting in the fridge.....any thoughts on what it will be like? I'm rather new to the "aging" beer game.
Had my last one about a month ago. It had been sitting unrefrigerated in the dark since release. Still very good, lots of port flavour, no real oxidation that i could detect. I wouldn't recommend hanging onto it for much longer, though. I don't think further aging will do it any favours as a year+ didn't have much impact one way or the other, in my opinion.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

In my cellaring/aging experience (been testing it out with for about 3 or 4 years now) I've really only had a few brews that I thought were better. Other than that, really not much detectable difference at all.

I aged a bottle of Flying Monkeys Matador for about a year, and found it do be much nicer. A tad less cedar flavour, and more citrusy, almost flowery hop flavour. Enjoy that one more was a surprise for me.

The other I enjoyed more after a year were the Stormy Monday and Cuvee Van De Keizer Blauw.

Imperial Stouts are far and away my favourite style of beer, so I was hoping for a lot more from aging some of them, but in all honestly, I've found either no difference, or a negative change in most I've tried so far.

And I do age in a dark basement in a cool room.

It's true what they say I guess... cellaring experiences are a completely personal think. I'll continue to do it with some trappist and belgian style ales (ie. saison, sours, lambic, etc.), as well as with barley wines... but I think I'm moving away from doing so with RIS's. I need to start drinking some stuff, but find once I've cellared stuff, it's like I want to keep it forever and now drink it. :D

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

I've got two bottles of Cuvee Van De Keizer Blauw that i've been sitting on for over a year. May open one and see how she is. I havn't really done toomuch tasting, as far as aged beers go. I've got a bunch of stuff in the basement, but havn't really dipped into it very much. I drank a Rocheforte 8 with just under a year of age on it......and thought it was much better than fresh. I've got a 2012 Amsterdam Tempest sitting there and a couple 2013's. Aslo have a few Dupont Saisons.....anyone give me an idea how long i should hold on to those? I've got 2 four packs of Founders breakfast stout down there also, not sure how long/how well those will fare.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

sofakingdrunk wrote:I've got two bottles of Cuvee Van De Keizer Blauw that i've been sitting on for over a year. May open one and see how she is. I havn't really done toomuch tasting, as far as aged beers go. I've got a bunch of stuff in the basement, but havn't really dipped into it very much. I drank a Rocheforte 8 with just under a year of age on it......and thought it was much better than fresh. I've got a 2012 Amsterdam Tempest sitting there and a couple 2013's. Aslo have a few Dupont Saisons.....anyone give me an idea how long i should hold on to those? I've got 2 four packs of Founders breakfast stout down there also, not sure how long/how well those will fare.
For whatever it's worth, when Amsterdam release the double tempest and included the three-year vertical tasting with a purchase, I thought the beer really fell off a cliff in the third year sample I tasted. Aged one year was my favourite, iirc, but they were all considerably better than the 3 year. So I'd probably drink the 2012 soonish. Maybe this fall if you're like most people and start craving stouts when the evenings start getting a little cooler?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Dupont Saison is a Vieille Provision. Can love it long time.
In Beerum Veritas

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

squeaky wrote:
sofakingdrunk wrote:I've got two bottles of Cuvee Van De Keizer Blauw that i've been sitting on for over a year. May open one and see how she is. I havn't really done toomuch tasting, as far as aged beers go. I've got a bunch of stuff in the basement, but havn't really dipped into it very much. I drank a Rocheforte 8 with just under a year of age on it......and thought it was much better than fresh. I've got a 2012 Amsterdam Tempest sitting there and a couple 2013's. Aslo have a few Dupont Saisons.....anyone give me an idea how long i should hold on to those? I've got 2 four packs of Founders breakfast stout down there also, not sure how long/how well those will fare.
For whatever it's worth, when Amsterdam release the double tempest and included the three-year vertical tasting with a purchase, I thought the beer really fell off a cliff in the third year sample I tasted. Aged one year was my favourite, iirc, but they were all considerably better than the 3 year. So I'd probably drink the 2012 soonish. Maybe this fall if you're like most people and start craving stouts when the evenings start getting a little cooler?

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like i'll be opening the 2012 soon then, maybe i'll wait for a coolish fall night and sit outside and do a back to back 2012/2013.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Belgian wrote:Dupont Saison is a Vieille Provision. Can love it long time.
Good news....down to only 3 bottles left and I havn't seen any in the lcbo for over a year. Hopefully it returns soon so i can re-stock. Whats the longest you've held onto one?