Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

midlife crisis wrote:
Very little. Had a few different Sierra Nevada's at Cask Days. They were good, but hardly knocked my socks off. "Great" U.S. beer that puts our local brewers to shame is largely a myth IMO, at least insofar as what we're likely to get on tap. I'll continue to support Great Lakes, Nickel Brook and others, thanks.
if you're using their one-off non-carbed cask beer as your measuring stick for Sierra Nevada, then you may need to re-assess stuff and things.
fresh Torpedo and Pale Ale are forces to reckon with and if you think that's "myth" then i don't know how i can continue this conversation with you, sir/madame.
Kish84 wrote:
A local brewery that I'll leave nameless was complaining about these new beers coming through. They were pretty much told to make better beer to compete with the US brews.
just blink twice if it was Trafalgar.

Anyways, if you look at the politics behind us getting in non-Ontario kegs and the cost associated with it and the # of keg agencies (read: monopoly), you think that, if it goes according to plan, SN would have an aggressive take on entering Ontario, if they're bothering to enter here. i don't mean "Molson" aggressive, but i can't see why Volo, C'est What, the Only, etc etc all end up having their beer on tap.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

midlife crisis wrote:
atomeyes wrote:so...
when should we expect the influx of Sierra Nevada, Stone and BrewDog?

better question: when will be getting these regularly on tap?

even better question: what positive and/or negative effect will great US beer on tap have on many of the mediocre Ontario craft beer we're currently drinking (likely due to a lack of other options)?
Very little. Had a few different Sierra Nevada's at Cask Days. They were good, but hardly knocked my socks off. "Great" U.S. beer that puts our local brewers to shame is largely a myth IMO, at least insofar as what we're likely to get on tap. I'll continue to support Great Lakes, Nickel Brook and others, thanks.
There are some great Ontario beers. I like me some Karma Citra, Lake Effect, and Thrust! as much as the next hophead, however, how often can I get these at the LCBO throughout the year? A couple of weeks per year tops...if at all? How often can I find these beers on tap in the 'burbs? Almost never.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

atomeyes wrote:
Kish84 wrote:A local brewery that I'll leave nameless was complaining about these new beers coming through. They were pretty much told to make better beer to compete with the US brews.
just blink twice if it was Trafalgar.
Haha nice.

"So what's it to be - bowels in or bowels out? Oh you're confused... I'll decide for you then if you'll permit me..."
In Beerum Veritas

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

skootles wrote:

Apparently starting next year (for Sierra Nevada at least).

http://bensbeerblog.com/2014/11/17/sier ... o-ontario/
"Von Teichman noted that, at Cask Days, Narwhal Imperial Stout and Northern Hemisphere Wet Hop IPA were among the first California casks to run out so they seem like likely candidates for the Ontario market."

That wet hop...so...good...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

JeffPorter wrote:
skootles wrote:

Apparently starting next year (for Sierra Nevada at least).

http://bensbeerblog.com/2014/11/17/sier ... o-ontario/
"Von Teichman noted that, at Cask Days, Narwhal Imperial Stout and Northern Hemisphere Wet Hop IPA were among the first California casks to run out so they seem like likely candidates for the Ontario market."

That wet hop...so...good...
I also hope he noticed they were some of the few that didn't "randalize" their casks with chilli peppers and botanicals. Lots of folks going to the Cali booth wanted to try the base beer, not some wired variant, so they went for the SN stuff.

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

groulxsome wrote:I also hope he noticed they were some of the few that didn't "randalize" their casks with chilli peppers and botanicals. Lots of folks going to the Cali booth wanted to try the base beer, not some wired variant, so they went for the SN stuff.
Can you let him know AFTER he brings Narwhal to the Ontario market?

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

Great Lakes Pompous Ass is coming to the LCBO soon according to this tweet.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

So when should we expect this return of Kuhnhenn in Ontario?

Obviously ^ it's impressively costly and rare (with the elusive-yet-compellingly-mysterious 'Table Presence') so the El Zibbio HAS to get it, right?

(And then someone can write praise about it in the broadsheets so that non-beer drinkers will go beserk lining up for it at dawn... you know, the usual!)
In Beerum Veritas

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

Belgian wrote:So when should we expect this return of Kuhnhenn in Ontario?

Obviously ^ it's impressively costly and rare (with the elusive-yet-compellingly-mysterious 'Table Presence') so the El Zibbio HAS to get it, right?

(And then someone can write praise about it in the broadsheets so that non-beer drinkers will go beserk lining up for it at dawn... you know, the usual!)
It seems like they brewed enough considering the ridiculous 3 case limit.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

ChrisK wrote:It seems like they brewed enough considering the ridiculous 3 case limit.
(Does some quick math) yeah they should just round it off and say 'OK if you bring us a thousand dollars, you can have ONLY three cases/36 bottles because buying more would be obscene.' :)

Though if I were committed to a beer trading network, I could send out that beer to quite a few people and exchange a lot of happiness in return. That's cool if you have time and resources for it.
In Beerum Veritas

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

So how much is a single bottle of that stuff? And it isn't listen yet. Any idea when it should be coming?

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

Blasphomet wrote:So how much is a single bottle of that stuff? And it isn't listen yet. Any idea when it should be coming?
Did I miss something? Raspberry eisbock is non coming to the LCBO. It came out this weekend at Kuhnhenn, for $30 a bottle.

ECBS

Post by ECBS »

instantkamera wrote:
Blasphomet wrote:So how much is a single bottle of that stuff? And it isn't listen yet. Any idea when it should be coming?
Did I miss something? Raspberry eisbock is non coming to the LCBO. It came out this weekend at Kuhnhenn, for $30 a bottle.
You did not miss anything. Except maybe one BTer's usual sarcasm being interpreted as fact by another BTer :)

Would LCBO stock something like this in the future? Perhaps.

Would Kuhnhenn choose to deal with the LCBO when it already has a sea of groupies lined up at its door at 6 a.m. (5 hours before opening) on a cold day solely to purchase $360 12-packs of 12 oz. bottles? Perhaps not.

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

ECBS wrote:Would Kuhnhenn choose to deal with the LCBO...?
If they wanted to ship the 4D up here again, I'd gladly buy as many bottles as I could.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

I am far to lazy to go back and/or pay attention to previous posts. :)