Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing current and upcoming LCBO, Beer Store and Grocery Store releases and policies.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9757
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Postby Belgian » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:55 pm

BakaGaijin wrote:Also, Knob Creek Small Batch is literally everywhere. This bourbon recently shocked the world...

Yes I've seen that figuratively everywhere, for the price I'm considering getting it . Even get an extra bottle for someone's milestone birthday. Good linked article thanks!
In Beerum Veritas
User avatar
MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly
Posts: 759
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:45 pm
Location: Woolwich, ON
Contact:

Postby MatttthewGeorge » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:08 am

BakaGaijin wrote:Also, Knob Creek Small Batch is literally everywhere. This bourbon recently shocked the world at the San Francisco World Spirit Awards winning Best Bourbon in blind tasting.

http://fredminnick.com/best-bourbon-the ... rits-2015/


The one that won is listed at the LCBO as just Knob Creek Bourbon, not the Knob Creek Single Barrel, correct?
untappd/tweetbox/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge
BakaGaijin
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:41 pm
Location: Burlington

Postby BakaGaijin » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:20 am

MatttthewGeorge wrote:
BakaGaijin wrote:Also, Knob Creek Small Batch is literally everywhere. This bourbon recently shocked the world at the San Francisco World Spirit Awards winning Best Bourbon in blind tasting.

http://fredminnick.com/best-bourbon-the ... rits-2015/


The one that won is listed at the LCBO as just Knob Creek Bourbon, not the Knob Creek Single Barrel, correct?


Yes.
User avatar
skootles
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:55 pm
Location: Toronto

Postby skootles » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:11 pm

According to Wellington's Instagram page, Terrestrial India Brown Ale is coming to the LCBO in late May.

I never got a chance to try this last year (given that I have no means of getting to Guelph) so I'm looking forward to it.


Image

Terrestrial India Brown Ale is being Re-Booted for Spring 2015! This unique hybrid beer strikes a beautiful balance of roasted malts and aromatic hops by bringing together the rich malt complexity of an English-style brown ale with 5 varieties of American-style hops: Chinook, Centennial, Cascade, Sorachi Ace, and Amarillo. Terrestrial India Brown is a dark mahogany brown in colour with a delightfully hoppy aroma, robust malt body, and a pronounced bitter finish. After winning a Gold Medal at the 2012 Canadian Brewing Awards, we’re happy to bring this beer back for spring 2015! Available in 750 mL bottles at the brewery on Friday April 24th and on LCBO shelves in late May. Cheers! #WellyReBooted #craftbeer #OntCraftBeer
midlife crisis
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1952
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:00 pm
Location: Toronto

Postby midlife crisis » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:42 am

atomeyes wrote:went to Leaside today to look for Weller12.
they have it at the tasting bar. did it side by side with Eagle Rare and another bourbon (wish i could remember).
the gent working there poured me other glasses, like Remy Martin ($115/bottle), Chartreuse ($100/bottle) and yeah, life was good.
charged me nadda.
bought the Weller b/c i thought it would make a very, very nice Manhattan due to its oak character. not loving it.
sorry if that's sacriledge :)


My current favourite Manhattan ingredients are Sazerac rye and Doolin sweet vermouth (just a touch).
User avatar
spinrsx
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2249
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:27 am
Location: Ottawa

Postby spinrsx » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:17 am

black oak just tweeted that this will be at the lcbo next week for $8.95:

Image
Masterplan
Posts: 478
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:00 am

Postby Masterplan » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:34 am

spinrsx wrote:black oak just tweeted that this will be at the lcbo next week for $8.95:

Image


Interesting coincidence I drank an Epiphany No. 1 from my cellar last night...
liamt07
Bar Fly
Posts: 597
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:36 pm
Location: Downsview/Toronto

Postby liamt07 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:53 pm

"Imperial Pilsner."

No thanks.

Also, how long have Black Oak been lagering?
TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2584
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:40 pm
Location: Mississauga
Contact:

Postby TheSevenDuffs » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:10 pm

liamt07 wrote:"Imperial Pilsner."

No thanks.
My thoughts exactly.
User avatar
Kish84
Bar Fly
Posts: 602
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:41 pm
Location: Kitchener

Postby Kish84 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:23 pm

liamt07 wrote:"Imperial Pilsner."

No thanks.

Just curious, are you saying "No thanks" to the style, Black Oak doing it, or the price?
"There's always money in the banana stand."
User avatar
boney
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1209
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 3:49 pm
Location: Hamilton

Postby boney » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:37 pm

If you don't dig lagers as a category, that's cool. Honestly, though, good, flavourful lagers are far more rare and harder to brew than most ales and thus are a little underrepresented in our market. I love well made lagers, so this is a definite "try" for me.

Edit: Would understand cringing at the price a little, though.
liamt07
Bar Fly
Posts: 597
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:36 pm
Location: Downsview/Toronto

Postby liamt07 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:49 pm

Kish84 wrote:
liamt07 wrote:"Imperial Pilsner."

No thanks.

Just curious, are you saying "No thanks" to the style, Black Oak doing it, or the price?


All three.
liamt07
Bar Fly
Posts: 597
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:36 pm
Location: Downsview/Toronto

Postby liamt07 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:10 pm

boney wrote:If you don't dig lagers as a category, that's cool. Honestly, though, good, flavourful lagers are far more rare and harder to brew than most ales and thus are a little underrepresented in our market. I love well made lagers, so this is a definite "try" for me.

Edit: Would understand cringing at the price a little, though.


Who said anything about me not digging lagers?

"Imperial Pilsners" are, in my opinion, an oxymoronic bastardization of what can be a very nice style (a simple German or Bohemian pils). I've had a few Imperial Pilsners and I've yet to be impressed by any of them.

If they wanted something for this limited release series, why couldn't they stick with something a tad more traditional like a baltic porter or doppelbock? :/
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9757
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Postby Belgian » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:45 pm

boney wrote:Edit: Would understand cringing at the price a little, though.

I would like to try it, but it's probably cheaper than nine bucks on tap.

Liam may have a point about 'don't re-invent a round wheel' but Eggenberg has made some arguably good extreme lagers.
In Beerum Veritas
User avatar
boney
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1209
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 3:49 pm
Location: Hamilton

Postby boney » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:13 am

liamt07 wrote:
boney wrote:If you don't dig lagers as a category, that's cool. Honestly, though, good, flavourful lagers are far more rare and harder to brew than most ales and thus are a little underrepresented in our market. I love well made lagers, so this is a definite "try" for me.

Edit: Would understand cringing at the price a little, though.


Who said anything about me not digging lagers?

"Imperial Pilsners" are, in my opinion, an oxymoronic bastardization of what can be a very nice style (a simple German or Bohemian pils). I've had a few Imperial Pilsners and I've yet to be impressed by any of them.

If they wanted something for this limited release series, why couldn't they stick with something a tad more traditional like a baltic porter or doppelbock? :/


Fair enough. I've had a number of Imperial Pilsners that I've enjoyed, especially from Jacks Abby and Mikkeller, so different strokes, I guess. I'd never turn down a Baltic Porter, either.

Return to “LCBO, Beer Store and Grocery Stores”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron