Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

Belgian wrote:Anyone new to beer who missed the Westvleteren 12 LC release a few years ago (not the smallest debacle in history :lol: ) should know the Rochefort 10 is considered just about as great as Westy, in blind tastings some think it's better. Plus it's a quarter of the going price; like Orval, Roche 10 an absolute steal here.
Not to mention the St Bernardus 12 is available too (under $10 for 750ml) which many people claim is the closest thing to Westy 12 since the brewery took over production while the abbey was under renovation and reportedly kept the yeast strain and recipe for their own use after the fact.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

biegaman wrote:
Belgian wrote:Anyone new to beer who missed the Westvleteren 12 LC release a few years ago (not the smallest debacle in history :lol: ) should know the Rochefort 10 is considered just about as great as Westy, in blind tastings some think it's better. Plus it's a quarter of the going price; like Orval, Roche 10 is an absolute steal here.
Not to mention the St Bernardus 12 is available too (under $10 for 750ml) which many people claim is the closest thing to Westy 12 since the brewery took over production while the abbey was under renovation and reportedly kept the yeast strain and recipe for their own use after the fact.
Exactly. And St. Sixtus now uses the Westmalle yeast for the Westy brews, just to mix it up some more. I've never heard complaints about the quality and consistency of St. Bernie, it's a hell of a beer.
In Beerum Veritas

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

I think a one year old Rochefort 10 blows westy out of the water.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

while fantastic, westy's really overrated imho. i'd take a rochefort 10 over it any day.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

jeremyg wrote:while fantastic, westy's really overrated imho. i'd take a rochefort 10 over it any day.
Hype tends to do that. Westy has a cool story and they produce a limited supply, so their extra .1% rating on the ratings site that pushes them ahead of the other Trappists gets exaggerated. They whole "best beer in the world" thing was really pushed around these parts (I mean Ontario, not BT), I think. It was enough of a hook to get papers writing about it, which got casual and semi-casual drinkers especially interested in it. I mean if it's the best beer in the world, you gotta try it once, right? That said, I don't know any hardcore beer geeks who still think it's a particularly special beer compared to its peers.

I prefer Rochefort 10 too, but I wouldn't tell anyone they're wrong for preferring the Westy. They're both really good and very well made, so it really just comes down to little variations in flavour preferences. It's obviously over priced though, unless you get it from the source.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

I haven't had a bottle of Rochefort 10 in a little while now... but that's because every time I grab one, I am completely underwhelmed and find it to be very... vinegary is the best word for it for me I guess. There just always seems to be something off, and I can't be so unlucky that I am always getting bad bottles. However, I love the Rochefort 8, and have no problem personally putting it above the 10. So damn good. The St. Bernardus Abt 12 is my favourite though.

Never got a chance to test out the Westy.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

The official beer of Toronto Beer Week will be available at the LCBO this year, which is a first for us.
We’ll cut to the chase. As a drinker you’re likely interested in the latest most flavourful beers in the block, and once again the folks at TBW will be delivering great taste in spades (or more appropriately bottles) this Fall. To coincide with the 2015 edition of Toronto Beer Week, we’re pleased to announce that our official beer will be a Bourbon Barrel-Aged Rye Porter, brewed by our good friends at Amsterdam Brewery. This delicious concoction is the latest in a lineup that commenced with an Imperial Porter in 2012, Quadrupel in 2013 and Farmhouse Ale in 2014.

Around 2,200 500ml limited edition bottles will be released through LCBO stores in the GTA – we’ll let you know where and when you can get your hands on this beauty closer to the date. With nine months aging in Four Roses Bourbon barrels we expect hints of caramel, vanilla and spice to overlay a rich malty background. And did we say it’s warming? At 10% this is definitely a beer to toast the lengthening nights and the onset of Fall. In fact, it sounds like the perfect way to unwind after shovelling the first snowfall (if you can make your stash last that long).

We’re finalizing a few details right now, but hope to host tastings at LCBO stores in every borough of the city on the opening weekend of TBW, when you’ll also be able to pick up bottles at the low, low price of $7.95. Why the mention of boroughs I hear you ask? Have we rolled back the clock to pre-amalgamation? In a way we have – the current city of Toronto is comprised of the six boroughs of Etobicoke, York, North York, East York, Old Toronto and Scarborough – and as Toronto Beer Week is supposed to be representative of the whole city we wanted our beer to be available everywhere within its borders. In fact that’s part of the reason we’ve named 2015’s official brew: Six Boroughs Bourbon Barrel-Aged Rye Porter.
Label and bottle mockup here: http://torontobeerweek.com/six-boroughs ... ye-porter/

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

"will be released through LCBO stores in the GTA"

bahhh

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

spinrsx wrote:"will be released through LCBO stores in the GTA"

bahhh
You do understand that the name of the event is Toronto Beer Week, yes?
lister

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Craig wrote:I mean if it's the best beer in the world, you gotta try it once, right? That said, I don't know any hardcore beer geeks who still think it's a particularly special beer compared to its peers.
Exactly, just as someone might see a Robert Parker WS 100-score wine and buy it for that reason, not knowing much or anything about wine or having the benefit of a broader experience to access even better wines for possibly less.

It's actually kind of funny! I mean I would certainly drink some different batches & vintages overseas just to learn more about the Westy beers, but not for big bucks or bragging rights.
In Beerum Veritas

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

I do. Why can't the rest of ontario celebrate too? :)

I'm just jealous.. it sounds like an interesting beer.
lister wrote:
spinrsx wrote:"will be released through LCBO stores in the GTA"

bahhh
You do understand that the name of the event is Toronto Beer Week, yes?

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

spinrsx wrote:I do. Why can't the rest of ontario celebrate too? :)

I'm just jealous.. it sounds like an interesting beer.
See OCB Beer Week :wink:

The rest of Ontario (let alone Canada) rarely celebrates Toronto anything. I suppose a beer could be a good start.

If you're serious about wanting a bottle and come to Toronto often I can grab a bottle for you.
lister

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

A porter aged in a Four Roses barrel? Does this have any relationship with the Great Lakes beer that had a weekend run at Buster Rhinos a while back? Same ABV, too. Was yummy as heck, high hopes for this.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Smuttynose Finest Kind IPA 6-Pk
Tree Hophead Black IPA

sphilp

Post by sphilp »

Might not be news, but news to me, Horizon told me 3 new Stone beers coming in November and they should get through faster than this release going forward. lines up roughly with the winter release so maybe the RIS or vanilla porter?