Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

midlife crisis wrote:
portwood wrote:
portwood wrote:ocd & short attention span
AND ... looking at the current trend in whisky prices, I gave up on WWW forum at the right time
long-timers here may disagree but beer is offering much better value than whisky at the moment (and no, cheap rot-gut Canadian Whisky doesn't count).

when Glenfarclas, one of my faves and all time great QPR distilleries, comes back with 27% price increase on the "105" and 23% on the 25 year old since last Fall, you know things are squirly in the Scotch world!!!!
Interesting. Didn't know that. What would your three "best value" whiskies be at the moment, under $75-80 say?
And Highland Park's range increased by a lot last year, and Lagavulin 16. Now Highland Park 10 (why was this even made?) is selling for what the 12 was priced at a couple years back.

My everyday scotches at the LCBO were Quarter Cask, Highland Park 12 and something more sherried, like Glenfarclas or for cheaper Glenfiddich 15, the only Glenfiddich that is worth anything.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

AugustusRex wrote: And Highland Park's range increased by a lot last year, and Lagavulin 16. Now Highland Park 10 (why was this even made?) is selling for what the 12 was priced at a couple years back.

My everyday scotches at the LCBO were Quarter Cask, Highland Park 12 and something more sherried, like Glenfarclas or for cheaper Glenfiddich 15, the only Glenfiddich that is worth anything.
Sadly, there is no such thing as an affordable every-day scotch at the LCBO anymore. Between the brands raising prices and the crap Canadian dollar, yikes the LCBO's markup looks even more painful.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

napoleon wrote:Sadly, there is no such thing as an affordable every-day scotch at the LCBO anymore. Between the brands raising prices and the crap Canadian dollar, yikes the LCBO's markup looks even more painful.
Philosophically they should only raise prices of spirits enough to maintain socially responsible drinking, while in practice they do seem to pass on the pain of currency changes in a very linear way, while maintaining same per cent margin as before and therefore possibly making even more money from the even-higher price. The pain seems artificially-created, monopolistic and unnecessary.

Perhaps someone could clarify if that's really so. Yes, prices of spirits are a stupendous shock in Ontario compared to stateside. So much that if I don't want to shop for beer in Buffalo I feel obliged to grab a bottle of vodka or something to save money and subsidize my trip across.
In Beerum Veritas

zaireeka

Post by zaireeka »

Has anyone seen if the LC is bringing in any bourbon for bourbon week?

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

zaireeka wrote:Has anyone seen if the LC is bringing in any bourbon for bourbon week?
The LCBO doesn't "bring in bourbon" for events like this.
I doubt t the LCBO even knows about bourbon week.

One of the founders of this site organizes bourbon week. I applaud the initiative, however, its still in its infancy and has potential.

zaireeka

Post by zaireeka »

BakaGaijin wrote:
zaireeka wrote:Has anyone seen if the LC is bringing in any bourbon for bourbon week?

One of the founders of this site organizes bourbon week. I applaud the initiative, however, its still in its infancy and has potential.
Ok. I just recalled the lcbo had some kind of whiskey event on last year, around the same time that included some good bourbons. It must not be a regular thing.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

zaireeka wrote:
BakaGaijin wrote:

Ok. I just recalled the lcbo had some kind of whiskey event on last year, around the same time that included some good bourbons. It must not be a regular thing.
You must be referring to the dinner that the LCBO and Diamond Estates put on for Pappy Van Winkle bottles. Those bottles get released in the U.S. around this time of year and I imagine the LC and Diamond would do something similar again in a few months. Pappy is extremely overrated in my opinion, but, if you manage to get some...enjoy!

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

coming this winter apparently

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

spinrsx wrote:coming this winter apparently

Glad to see Kentucky Bastard back as I really liked it,just like most beers from Nickelbrook.

Winter is Coming

Post by Winter is Coming »

Didn't Old Kentucky Bastard used to be $12.95?

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Loool yeah but people bought it at that shit price, so why not raise it? Good beer though, and I love Nickel Brook. I'll probably buy one bottle, but they are fucking us out of wanting to buy more.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

In regards to Kentucky Bastard pricing....if that bottle had a Bellwood's label on it the price would $18 as Bellwoods sell their Barrel Aged stouts in 500 ml bottles for $12.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

huh?

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

anyways.

a bunch of beau's, eh? pass.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

I'd rather spend 7.95 on 650ml of dragons milk (which is also coming this winter)
Winter is Coming wrote:

Didn't Old Kentucky Bastard used to be $12.95?