Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

napoleon wrote:Sure there will be a line, but based on that price point, I probably won't be in it. I certainly liked the normal version, but not nearly enough to pay this much.
I think the original one I tried was mind-blowing, back around 2009. So much big velvety bourbon character. The second one was I think a coffee edition, good but there are many its equal. These were both from USA bottle shops, no fuss and I liked that the first one was a 330 ml because even then I shared it.

Am curious about the Vanilla one. I still have some Double Tempests and GLB Bourbon stuff kicking around!

BBCS tried in 2009 notes "Bourbon Barrel imparts toasted-coconut and candy-corn buttery flavors. Truly deep rich velvety and subtle... THICK! Black as the hour of despair. Like a liqueur of coffee and cocoa with brash American oakwood, plus rich nutty dry finish, vanilla, and butterscotch. FEELS like a whiskey finish. HOT. Big beer."
In Beerum Veritas

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

Belgian wrote:
napoleon wrote:Sure there will be a line, but based on that price point, I probably won't be in it. I certainly liked the normal version, but not nearly enough to pay this much.
I think the original one I tried was mind-blowing, back around 2009. So much big velvety bourbon character. The second one was I think a coffee edition, good but there are many its equal. These were both from USA bottle shops, no fuss and I liked that the first one was a 330 ml because even then I shared it.

Am curious about the Vanilla one. I still have some Double Tempests and GLB Bourbon stuff kicking around!

BBCS tried in 2009 notes "Bourbon Barrel imparts toasted-coconut and candy-corn buttery flavors. Truly deep rich velvety and subtle... THICK! Black as the hour of despair. Like a liqueur of coffee and cocoa with brash American oakwood, plus rich nutty dry finish, vanilla, and butterscotch. FEELS like a whiskey finish. HOT. Big beer."
That reminds me of my review of Great Lakes (US) Barrel Aged Blackout Stout. It was the first BB stout I'd had, and warmed the front of my nose with a boozy heat 8)

HeliKOOPter

Post by HeliKOOPter »

RE: BCBS Vanilla Rye

So for those who lined up for Westy, what is a realistic time to be among the first 100?

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

admviolin wrote:After buying a case of the Rodenbach vintage, I'm ok with missing this release. One day I'll try BCBS, but for now I'll stock up on dragon's milk :)
Dragon's Milk is great and all (and I'm happy that it's hitting again since I stumbled across all the variants in Detroit a month or so ago and would like to do a whole tasting), but it doesn't hold a candle to BCBS - let alone *their* variants (of which, admittedly, I've only had the barleywine). This is worth the price, and I'm frankly happy that the bottle limit is so low, so everyone gets a try and muling isn't really feasible beyond like one extra bottle (though Im sure the worst of them will find a way).

Keep in mind, Vanilla didn't even go to NY/MI last year at all, so this is a rare treat indeed.

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

HeliKOOPter wrote:RE: BCBS Vanilla Rye

So for those who lined up for Westy, what is a realistic time to be among the first 100?
If I recall, the takeaways from the Westy release were:

- It was beyond hyped everywhere (newsprint, TV), not just locally, but in the US as well.
- There was a lot more notice for that release.
- The release was staggered over several days, with the hype building higher each day as more and more people got stood in lines, got shut out, complained/boasted to friends/coworkers, made the morning and evening news, etc.

No single store ever got more than like 100 "units" or so, and you were fine that first day getting in line at Summerhill or QQ at 8 I think. With a solid 200+ units here coupled with:
- the fact that it's really "just one bottle"
- the fact that plebs have other shit to do on {a workday|black friday} than get in line for a beer they have never heard of.
- the fact that the "GTA Brews" fb group has 900 users and the post about this only 23 likes

makes me think you will be good if you show up an hour before open.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

admviolin wrote:reminds me of my review of Great Lakes (US) Barrel Aged Blackout Stout. It was the first BB stout I'd had, and warmed the front of my nose with a boozy heat 8)
Nice!
I realize my review should have said 'toasted-coconut and caramel-corn and buttery flavors.' Candy-corn makes no literal sense.
In Beerum Veritas

mojo

Post by mojo »

You think I'll get a bottle if I show up at, like, 2pm? Can't be bothered to wake up before noon 8)

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Possibly... depends how many Mules people bring beforehand.

Expensive Green P parking + rush hour + crappy wet weather means you *should* be able to get down there around 8 and still walk away with a bottle. This ain't Hill Farmstead circa 2013.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I simply don't have a boner for 8am Goose Island BBCS. That's leaving the house way too early, and I'm already here drinking beer I actually like. If someone can steal a second bottle I'll give you 20 bucks. Thanks!
In Beerum Veritas

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I'm already in line....

At the Metro near my house.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Anyone in line?

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

spinrsx wrote:Anyone in line?
About 12 back from the front on the blue chair. Looks like maybe 50 people in line now.
GTA Brews - Toronto's Homebrew Club - http://www.gtabrews.ca/

Eric's Brewing Blog - Advanced Homebrewing for the Intermediate Brewer - http://www.ericbrews.com/

MeltedOzark

Post by MeltedOzark »

spinrsx wrote:Anyone in line?

About 120 people in line now. Thought it would be busier.

brew-san

Post by brew-san »

There are supposedly 222 bottles.. Posted in I guess the wrong thread. I'm in the middle of the bridge ticket no 72.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

I'm in line in Ottawa. Just me and two crackheads talking about the aliens they partied with last night.