Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

Thanks, I came here looking for an update on the Bastard Box. Let's see if this sneaks in before Christmas.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

DeMarco wrote:I LOVE LIVING IN THE CITY!

"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

spinrsx wrote:So there was a 'delay at the lcbo receiving department' so the new stone beers are late. But we might see them sometime next week.
Canada Post is always swamped at Christmas, you have to expect delays. lol!

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

The bastard box got to my LCBO on December 23rd or 24th with an enjoy my date of Jan 6th. Way to go LCBO. BTW the Depth Charged Double Bastard was amazing.
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

CoolB wrote:The bastard box got to my LCBO on December 23rd or 24th with an enjoy my date of Jan 6th. Way to go LCBO. BTW the Depth Charged Double Bastard was amazing.
It arrived the first week of October... just saying...
Same for the Smoked Porter and Coffee Milk Stout and those haven't even begun to roll out yet.

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

biegaman wrote:
CoolB wrote:The bastard box got to my LCBO on December 23rd or 24th with an enjoy my date of Jan 6th. Way to go LCBO. BTW the Depth Charged Double Bastard was amazing.
Same for the Smoked Porter and Coffee Milk Stout and those haven't even begun to roll out yet.
Are the porter and stout also Stone offerings?

I'm hoping to see Fat Tug soon too. A friend out west said to look for it nearly a month ago and as of yesterday it's only in 3 lcbo outlets so far.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

CoolB wrote:
biegaman wrote:
Are the porter and stout also Stone offerings?

I'm hoping to see Fat Tug soon too. A friend out west said to look for it nearly a month ago and as of yesterday it's only in 3 lcbo outlets so far.
My bottles are dated 10.27.15...

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

Masterplan wrote:
My bottles are dated 10.27.15...
Pretty sure mine were dated 10.27.15 as well but with a Stone enjoy by sticker on the box of Jan 6th.

*edit* I'm guessing you were talking about the fat tug but oddly enough I'm pretty sure the bastard bottles were the same (or close) date.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

For those put off by the "Enjoy By Jan 6th" note on the Bastard Box, it's worth noting the following:

- Stone emphasizes the freshness of their hoppy beers so much that they give then pretty tight "Enjoy By" dates. In this case, the beers were all bottled in October (at least in the box I got), so they are suggesting a 90 day freshness limit. That might make sense for beers with a "brighter" character, like the IPA, but for the Bastards, I think it's a bit conservative, and they should still be a pretty solid form for a while longer.

- On top of that - while Arrogant Bastard and Oaked A.B. have "Drink Fresh" printed on the bottle, the other two say "Drink Fresh or Age", which makes the "Enjoy By" date on the outside of the box extra misleading.

So while it's a drag that the LCBO once again let something linger in the warehouse a bit longer than they should've, in this case I don't think it's a disaster. I'll let you know for sure once I've had a chance to drink 'em.

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

All four I had were great. Both double bastard's could easily be aged and fall really close to barley wine territory.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

4 packs of DDC Aphrodite should be hitting stores next week

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

is it just me, or are there not as many new beers coming to the lcbo as there used to be. (not that its ever been a whole lot.. but still)

the winter release only had like 6 beers as part of it, and the spring release that is normally announced by now is non existent. Not to mention that they scrapped the brewery feature thing.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

spinrsx wrote:is it just me, or are there not as many new beers coming to the lcbo as there used to be. (not that its ever been a whole lot.. but still)

the winter release only had like 6 beers as part of it, and the spring release that is normally announced by now is non existent. Not to mention that they scrapped the brewery feature thing.
That was one of the trade offs for beer in grocery stores...more availability less selection.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Brewery features are done with. From what I understand scheduled releases will be smaller than before with more non-release new items (fat tug, Aphrodite etc.) showing up at random times sometimes lining up with the seasonal releases that also show up at random times.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

PeenSteen wrote:4 packs of DDC Aphrodite should be hitting stores next week
do you mean Aphrodisiaque?

or is actually this? http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1141/145266/