Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

spinrsx wrote:
PeenSteen wrote:4 packs of DDC Aphrodite should be hitting stores next week
do you mean Aphrodisiaque?
It's probably Aphrodisiaque. IIRC they had to change the name for the Ontario market so people wouldn't think it's actually an aphrodisiac. Social responsibility and all that.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

Lol...I just traded for some Aphro.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

I need a break from new beers to get through the ones I have.

It has slowed but there are more beers being pumped in from Ontario breweries to make up for the difference.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

cfrancis wrote:I need a break from new beers to get through the ones I have.

It has slowed but there are more beers being pumped in from Ontario breweries to make up for the difference.
Yep, I've been that way for the past half year. Buying less of a wider variety of beers. Only a few favourites I'll buy a bunch of.
My supply needs to dwindle away....not planning to buy any cans/bottles for a few months unless they're one-offs!

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Masterplan wrote:
spinrsx wrote:is it just me, or are there not as many new beers coming to the lcbo as there used to be. (not that its ever been a whole lot.. but still)

the winter release only had like 6 beers as part of it, and the spring release that is normally announced by now is non existent. Not to mention that they scrapped the brewery feature thing.
That was one of the trade offs for beer in grocery stores...more availability less selection.
I'm not sure that I understand the rationale behind this trade-off. If macro brands and more mainstream craft offerings are now more widely available in grocery stores, shouldn't this free up more shelf space at the LCBO for seasonal/specialty releases? One of the ways that the L could keep beer consumers coming through their doors would be by offering a more unique selection of offerings not otherwise available. I'm not denying that we are seeing less selection, just wondering why this is happening.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Because, deep down, the LCBO doesn't give a crap about beer.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

The seasonal release program is stupid and highlights the stupidity behind how beer is selected for these programs. The LCBO puts out a request for agents to submit products for these releases. The request is usually really far in advance. If agents only submit shit beer, then, the seasonal release will be shit. Each agent is only allowed to submit two products for each release. The program relies on agents.....most of which have not done a very good job. The LCBO needs to change the way they acquire new product.

portwood

Post by portwood »

midlife crisis wrote:Because, deep down, the LCBO doesn't give a crap about beer.
... or anything else except wine (and bottom shelf mass movers)
@markhamwhisky

portwood

Post by portwood »

BakaGaijin wrote: The LCBO needs to change the way they acquire new product.
... and they way(s) they sell it
@markhamwhisky

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Curious as to what the agents that use this board have to say about this. Is the lcbo even asking for submissions any more?
BakaGaijin wrote:The seasonal release program is stupid and highlights the stupidity behind how beer is selected for these programs. The LCBO puts out a request for agents to submit products for these releases. The request is usually really far in advance. If agents only submit shit beer, then, the seasonal release will be shit. Each agent is only allowed to submit two products for each release. The program relies on agents.....most of which have not done a very good job. The LCBO needs to change the way they acquire new product.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Provost Drunk wrote:
Masterplan wrote:
spinrsx wrote:is it just me, or are there not as many new beers coming to the lcbo as there used to be. (not that its ever been a whole lot.. but still)

the winter release only had like 6 beers as part of it, and the spring release that is normally announced by now is non existent. Not to mention that they scrapped the brewery feature thing.
That was one of the trade offs for beer in grocery stores...more availability less selection.
I'm not sure that I understand the rationale behind this trade-off. If macro brands and more mainstream craft offerings are now more widely available in grocery stores, shouldn't this free up more shelf space at the LCBO for seasonal/specialty releases? One of the ways that the L could keep beer consumers coming through their doors would be by offering a more unique selection of offerings not otherwise available. I'm not denying that we are seeing less selection, just wondering why this is happening.
The trade off wasn't about shelf space at the lcbo, it was to appease the beer store who didn't want to compete with grocery stores on the same product.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

portwood wrote:
midlife crisis wrote:Because, deep down, the LCBO doesn't give a crap about beer.
... or anything else except wine (and bottom shelf mass movers)
Exactly. LCBO is first and foremost interested in sales of wine, with spirits a distant second and beer (with a few notable exceptions, which are decreasing) pretty much an afterthought. I wouldn't blame the agents though. I think the agents, by and large, do a good job given the multiple constraints placed before them.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Masterplan wrote:
Provost Drunk wrote:
Masterplan wrote:
The trade off wasn't about shelf space at the lcbo, it was to appease the beer store who didn't want to compete with grocery stores on the same product.
Interesting. But not sure I understand why less selection is important to TBS. If the LCBO focused more on seasonal/speciality beers and designated less less shelf space to macros, wouldn't this funnel more consumers to TBS for their macro fix?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Provost Drunk wrote:
Masterplan wrote:
Provost Drunk wrote: I'm not sure that I understand the rationale behind this trade-off. If macro brands and more mainstream craft offerings are now more widely available in grocery stores, shouldn't this free up more shelf space at the LCBO for seasonal/specialty releases? One of the ways that the L could keep beer consumers coming through their doors would be by offering a more unique selection of offerings not otherwise available. I'm not denying that we are seeing less selection, just wondering why this is happening.
Interesting. But not sure I understand why less selection is important to TBS. If the LCBO focused more on seasonal/speciality beers and designated less less shelf space to macros, wouldn't this funnel more consumers to TBS for their macro fix?
The owners of TBS are best served if the only stuff on the shelves in either store is Macro.They don't actually need to care if you buy your beer in the LCBO or TBS, since their profits are similar either way. What they really care about is limiting access to alternatives.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Craig wrote:
The owners of TBS are best served if the only stuff on the shelves in either store is Macro.They don't actually need to care if you buy your beer in the LCBO or TBS, since their profits are similar either way. What they really care about is limiting access to alternatives.
I feel incredibly stupid for temporarily forgetting who owns TBS - it all makes sense now. Was this access vs. selection trade-off expressly disclosed as part of the agreement to allow beer sales in grocery stores or are we speculating that it must have been a condition given the downward tick in the L's recent selections? Either way it reeks of anti-competition. Par for the course in the world of Ontario beer sales I suppose.

I was fairly agnostic on the whole beer in grocery stores thing - it's not difficult for me go to an LCBO to buy beer and I didn't anticipate any of the big grocery chains carrying a selection that I found particularly interesting. Given the price of access is selection, I am firmly of the opinion that we're worse-off under the new regime (and yes, I appreciate that I am being a little Toronto/urban-centric in viewing things through the lens of having easy access to a lot of good LCBOs).