Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

PeenSteen wrote:Founders KBS - Being sold as a single, Over 9000 bottles ordered so more than enough to go around
Duchesse De Bourgone
I wonder if KBS will be in 750 ml bottles, their website lists two sizes which seems to be new for 2017. Makes more sense to me if it's being sold in singles.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

PeenSteen wrote:Founders KBS - Being sold as a single, Over 9000 bottles ordered so more than enough to go around
Duchesse De Bourgone
Very nice additions, look forward to these two.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Since peen mentioned 'being sold as a single' I assume this is 12oz size. Plus I cant see 9000 750ml bottles of kbs coming to the lcbo
seangm wrote:
Duchesse De Bourgone
I wonder if KBS will be in 750 ml bottles, their website lists two sizes which seems to be new for 2017. Makes more sense to me if it's being sold in singles.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

spinrsx wrote:Since peen mentioned 'being sold as a single' I assume this is 12oz size. Plus I cant see 9000 750ml bottles of kbs coming to the lcbo
seangm wrote:
Duchesse De Bourgone

I definitely can. As a pure non statistical but very astute observation, LCBO loves 750ml. I'm betting on the large version hitting our shelves.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

9000 big bottles just seems to be massive to me, no? I know KBS gets decent release in the US, but 9000 big bottles in one jurisdiction? Doesn't that seem huge?

How man bottles of things like Boulevard Quad, or Kentucky Bastard did the LCBO put out for sale?

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

12oz bottles of KBS

When it's big bottles it's usually around 3500 bottles and thats on the high end

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

I've been proven wrong and I'm happy it's 12 oz.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Kbs release is first week of April in the states, hopefully at the lcbo around the same time.

Im happy it's in small bottles too

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Agreed, happy to be wrong as well. 12 fl oz is perfect for double/imperial strength beers.

portwood

Post by portwood »

seangm wrote:Agreed, happy to be wrong as well. 12 fl oz is perfect for double/imperial strength beers.
Another "agree", and the more imports we see in this size while local brewers insist on >=473ml, the more imports I'll buy while leaving the locals on the shelf!!!
@markhamwhisky

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

PeenSteen wrote:12oz bottles of KBS

When it's big bottles it's usually around 3500 bottles and thats on the high end
Awesome, thanks.

In terms of quantities though, what does 9000 bottles look like for a release? How does it compare to say, the Great Lakes Tank 10s, or something else? That seems huge to me, but I have no real grasp of scale.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Founders KBS goes for 21.99 USD+tax for a 4-pack on the totalwine webpage, so we will be looking at about $8-$9 for a single here in ontario?

Peen: trying to put 9000 bottles into perspective - do you know how many cans of Ten Fidy came to Ontario?

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

spinrsx wrote: Peen: trying to put 9000 bottles into perspective - do you know how many cans of Ten Fidy came to Ontario?
Somewhere around the same amount if I remember correctly. Somewhere between 8500 and 10,000. A good judge would be he Stone Xocoveza when it comes out, there are 8630 bottles of that ordered and 9216 of KBS. Unless you are out of the province for the first 2-3 weeks after this comes out I don't think anyone here is going to get shut out. This is a pretty substantial number of bottles coming and I suspect pricing will be around the $7-8 mark so not exactly cheap enough for everyone buy by the case.

Its also safe to assume that Summerhill will get 1000+ bottles of this that will sit there for a while in typical Summerhill fashion since they aren't keen on transferring beer out and it's not a 'beer-centric' area of the city, no matter how much the LCBO thinks otherwise. IMO the only reason it is a boutique beer location is based solely on the size of the building itself and not an accurate reflection of the craft beer market in Toronto/Ontario, Summerhill has the largest collection of 3-6 month old locally brewed IPA/APA's I have ever seen anywhere.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

So let's say $32 a 4-pack vs 22 US (not bothering with tax) at todays rate (1.36x22)=29.92 Canadian plus whatever crap you have to deal with getting to the USA and importing it back, the price is excellent. This is case worthy at that price.

nickw

Post by nickw »

PeenSteen wrote:
spinrsx wrote:Its also safe to assume that Summerhill will get 1000+ bottles of this that will sit there for a while in typical Summerhill fashion since they aren't keen on transferring beer out and it's not a 'beer-centric' area of the city, no matter how much the LCBO thinks otherwise. IMO the only reason it is a boutique beer location is based solely on the size of the building itself and not an accurate reflection of the craft beer market in Toronto/Ontario, Summerhill has the largest collection of 3-6 month old locally brewed IPA/APA's I have ever seen anywhere.
I'd agree with you on this for sure. But, as someone who works nearby, it's great as I never feel I need to rush somewhere to get bottles of a relatively limited release.

Do you have any insight into which LCBO locations are most 'beer-centric' or have the best traffic/sales/interest in craft beer? I mean, we can all likely think of a few, but I'm curious if it's something the LCBO might know as well?