Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

Count me in as another person really excited for KBS, especially considering the 12oz bottle.
nickw wrote:Do you have any insight into which LCBO locations are most 'beer-centric' or have the best traffic/sales/interest in craft beer? I mean, we can all likely think of a few, but I'm curious if it's something the LCBO might know as well?
I would guess Dundas and Dovercourt LCBO would be one of the main beer-centric locations. It's nearby all the west end breweries and they carry every special/seasonal release. I regularly find super fresh IPAs there as the turnover seems to be high since the store isn't huge.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

so around $200 for a case of KBS. Has anyone had a 2013, 2014 etc KBS lately? How is it drinking?

It seems a little thin to cellar for more than a couple of years, but some feedback would be appreciated.

Jerk_Store

Post by Jerk_Store »

spinrsx wrote:so around $200 for a case of KBS. Has anyone had a 2013, 2014 etc KBS lately? How is it drinking?

It seems a little thin to cellar for more than a couple of years, but some feedback would be appreciated.
My guess is it depends on how KBS is drinking when fresh. The 2015 was considerably thinner than the 2016. The general feeling out there is that KBS isn't a beer that ages particularly well. For myself, I probably won't buy more than 10 bottles and drink them over a couple of years, no more.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Also, how is it we go from no founders in ontario to scoring one of their most prized beers?

Will we be seeing more founders products after kbs? Wasnt there mention of the all day ipa coming?

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

spinrsx wrote:Also, how is it we go from no founders in ontario to scoring one of their most prized beers?

Will we be seeing more founders products after kbs? Wasnt there mention of the all day ipa coming?
It does seem kind of sporadic how Founders comes in. has it been 2 or 3 years now since we had a bunch of their beers....Porter, Backwoods Bastard, etc.

Would be great if that Backwoods returned again....tasty beer that one!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

El Pinguino wrote:[Would be great if that Backwoods returned again....tasty beer that one!
Agree, the one I had at the Wren they charged me for a 'regular' Dirty Bastard but it was a phenomenally smooth BA treatment.
In Beerum Veritas

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

This spring at the lcbo: "RoboHop Imperial IPA. The 8.5% Imperial IPA will, for the first time, be released to LCBO stores in a 473ml can and will retail for $5.00"

Official Rotating IPA Schedule for LCBO Release 2017

Lake Effect IPA: December to late February

RoboHop Imperial IPA: March to April

Octopus Wants to Fight IPA: March to May

Sunnyside Session IPA: Mid May to September

Karma Citra IPA: September to November

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

spinrsx wrote:This spring at the lcbo: "RoboHop Imperial IPA. The 8.5% Imperial IPA will, for the first time, be released to LCBO stores in a 473ml can and will retail for $5.00"

It's great to finally have a schedule for these releases. Looks like things will be about the same as last year, based on those release windows.

Wonder if this means they aren't going to bother with My Bitter Wife anymore (at least, as far as LCBO releases go)? Not that it's a big deal, since MBW's hop profile was probably my least-favourite of all the GLB T10 IPAs.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

darmokandjalad wrote:
spinrsx wrote:This spring at the lcbo: "RoboHop Imperial IPA. The 8.5% Imperial IPA will, for the first time, be released to LCBO stores in a 473ml can and will retail for $5.00"

It's great to finally have a schedule for these releases. Looks like things will be about the same as last year, based on those release windows.

Wonder if this means they aren't going to bother with My Bitter Wife anymore (at least, as far as LCBO releases go)? Not that it's a big deal, since MBW's hop profile was probably my least-favourite of all the GLB T10 IPAs.
On their instagram post someone brought that up, as well and Audrey Hopburn, Limp Puppet, among others which obviously includes Thrust! They are going to continue to make them all, just brewery only. Glad Robo is in a can now too.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Any word on the founders ipa? Rest of the beers mentioned here have come and gone
PeenSteen wrote:Amsterdam 18 Hands Rustic Pale Ale
Wellington Kentucky Cow
Mill St. Lune De Sang
Stone Vertical Epic
Founders All Day IPA
Refined Fool Ripsnorter

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

spinrsx wrote:Any word on the founders ipa? Rest of the beers mentioned here have come and gone
PeenSteen wrote:Amsterdam 18 Hands Rustic Pale Ale
Wellington Kentucky Cow
Mill St. Lune De Sang
Stone Vertical Epic
Founders All Day IPA
Refined Fool Ripsnorter
If there's any beer that's best drank in the winter after substantial aging under poor circumstances it's Founders all day IPA :(

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Napanee's Blacklist will be coming to the LCBO in the spring. Solid beer if you haven't tried it.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

the next game of thrones beer has been announced, I would assume the lcbo will be getting this like all of the previous ones

http://www.gq.com/story/ommegang-game-o ... d-the-knee

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Speaking of the GoT series, any idea when we might see the Valar Dohaeris (tripel) at the L? I think it was released last fall.

xocoatl

Post by xocoatl »

Provost Drunk wrote:Speaking of the GoT series, any idea when we might see the Valar Dohaeris (tripel) at the L? I think it was released last fall.
Last one was about a 6 month lag between release by brewery and release by LCBO, so I would expect to see the tripel in next couple months, and the new one releasing in May to be sometime next fall....