Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

portwood

Post by portwood »

JeffPorter wrote:...having said all that, I'll see you with my sleeping bag outside Summerhill!
As much as I would love to buy a few, no beer (or whisky) is worth long lines - even at Summerhill (been there, done that, not doing it again!)
@markhamwhisky

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

portwood wrote:
JeffPorter wrote:...having said all that, I'll see you with my sleeping bag outside Summerhill!
As much as I would love to buy a few, no beer (or whisky) is worth long lines - even at Summerhill (been there, done that, not doing it again!)
I'm also finding it hard to believe that any beer is worth $7.25 for a 355ml bottle...

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

Lots of great Ontario stouts I'll continue drinking instead of paying that price.
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

CoolB wrote:Lots of great Ontario stouts I'll continue drinking instead of paying that price.
No, there is not "lot's" of great BA Ontario stouts.

The decent ones are similar prices.

Cafe del Bastardo is $17 per 750ml.
GLB Solstice $15 per 650ml.
Bellwoods $12 to $13 per 500ml.

....and this beer is imported.....so you have additional fee's costs associated with it.

Gordoftherings

Post by Gordoftherings »

CoolB wrote:Lots of great Ontario stouts I'll continue drinking instead of paying that price.
I'll bite. Like what?

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

KBS is a bucket list beer. Pricey yes, but I doubt you'll find anywhere cheaper, ever. No way I can pass up getting a few. Also I like having the small serving size.

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

lol wow so what are we saying here? Some of you all may not appreciate our Ontario stouts but I have found many that I enjoyed enough to consider a great Ontario stout. Good enough that at the price of KBS I'll be more then happy to sink that money into locals rather then an import.

I like the entire Bolshevik line. Winey bastard is fantastic. Had Rat Queen from barncat the other day. Another great option. Foreign exchange from The exchange brewery is little known but fantastically made. Brimstone's chicory stout is very good. Just to name a few.

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

Not saying I wont buy a KBS but I wont buy in quantity and I wont go out of my way to get it..... at that price.

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

CoolB wrote:lol wow so what are we saying here? Some of you all may not appreciate our Ontario stouts but I have found many that I enjoyed enough to consider a great Ontario stout. Good enough that at the price of KBS I'll be more then happy to sink that money into locals rather then an import.

I like the entire Bolshevik line. Winey bastard is fantastic. Had Rat Queen from barncat the other day. Another great option. Foreign exchange from The exchange brewery is little known but fantastically made. Brimstone's chicory stout is very good. Just to name a few.
Forgot Solstice. I just had that Monday night. Another great option.

Gordoftherings

Post by Gordoftherings »

CoolB wrote:lol wow so what are we saying here? Some of you all may not appreciate our Ontario stouts but I have found many that I enjoyed enough to consider a great Ontario stout. Good enough that at the price of KBS I'll be more then happy to sink that money into locals rather then an import.

Was just curious man. Not being combative. I will say however that none of the beers you listed hold a candle to KBS as far as I am concerned (preference) and that both of the barrel aged beers you listed are more expensive per ounce than KBS is. Not to mention the small format is wonderful. I'm all for supporting local breweries, I just feel that there aren't very many beers coming out of Ontario that are in the same league as KBS.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

portwood wrote:
Nah...was joking...

Way too old to wait in line for just about anything these days...

Doing that with Westy was experience enough...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Not sure what the fuss is about the KBS price...it's a 12% very long aged beer with expensive ingredients.

Cafe Del Bastardo might be the best Imperial Stout this province has made, but that's quite a bit more expensive than KBS.

Add me to the list of people who love the 12 oz bottles!

If I had to pay 15 bucks for 2 12 oz bottles vs 14 for one 750 ml...I'm buying the smaller bottles all day long...

Ontario brewers, God Bless em, should take note...most of us don't want to drink 3/4 of a litre of heavy stouts in one sitting.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

No big deal, $7.25 a bottle. What does everyone pay for a pint out?

So buy 1 bottle take it home relax and enjoy it and then cross it off the list and move on.

I will buy , I just don't know how many. It depends on how far I have to drive and how many are on the shelf.

I'm with Jeff, line up ....forget it!

That Westie sale was a mess ......do it like Utopia...you don't get through oh well!

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

there are very few world class barrel-aged stouts coming out of ontario.
BOYD and Skeleton Key (recent batches) are pretty much the entire list. some vintages of Winey Bastard as well, perhaps.
we're so bloody behind on making great barrel-aged beer, it's ridiculous

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

Those are decent options at fairly reasonable price points, however, no where near comparable to KBS in my opinion. If you would prefer to drink those beers....good on ya. You'll be better off financially! :)