Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

GtownRandy wrote:That's great. What about the rest of the province?
4000 bottles are headed outside of the GTA. I'd call your local LCBO.

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

A few new additions coming soon!

MANITOULIN Bridal Veil Pale Ale
—LCBO#: 498642 | 473 mL can
5% abv $3.05

Junction Craft Engineers IPA
—LCBO#: 508739 | 473 mL can
6.2% abv $2.85

Barnstormer Accelerated Stall IIPA
—LCBO#: 498469 | 473 mL can
8.4% abv, 80+ IBU $3.25

Bench Brewing 20 Mile Farmhouse Ale
—LCBO#: 508515 | 473 mL can
5.3% abv, $2.95
highly rated by a few BT'ers on ratebeer

Lake of the Woods Big Timber Ipa
—LCBO#: 498725 | 473 mL can
6% abv, $3.05

Prince Edward County Brewco
Dunes Beach Beer Kolsch
—LCBO#: 494823 | 473 mL can
4.8% $2.95

Collective Arts Prophets & Nomads
—LCBO#: 511030 | 473 mL can
4.5% $3.25

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The Founders KBS is still kicking around Summerhill. I tried one, it's nice with the chocolate on the coffee-bourbon finish.

I have to say the Backwoods Bastard is their best beer for me.
In Beerum Veritas

B1tman1ac

Post by B1tman1ac »

Belgian wrote:The Founders KBS is still kicking around Summerhill. I tried one, it's nice with the chocolate on the coffee-bourbon finish.
wait . . . there's bourbon in dem der KBS' ?!?!? :o

I might need to pop another one just to double check :wink:

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Belgian wrote:I have to say the Backwoods Bastard is their best beer for me.

The Truth!
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

Because we all love overpriced beers: Flying Monkeys Invictus is $38 for 750 mL.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

Napalm Frog wrote:Because we all love overpriced beers: Flying Monkeys Invictus is $38 for 750 mL.
I had to look into why it was so expensive. "A beautiful Russian Imperial Stout solera aged in Andalusian sherry barrels and Buffalo Trace/ Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon Barrels over a year and blended into an incredible 17.5% abv elixir."

Personally wouldn't buy a bottle, but I am very curious.

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

the greeks seem to like it! : https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/flying-mo ... ed/395993/

they're doing something interesting at least, unlike other boring old guard breweries like hockley, neustadt, trafalgar, old credit etc., who don't seem to be keeping up with the times as much as great lakes or nickel brook.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

So.... board tasting?
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

GtownRandy wrote:the greeks seem to like it! : https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/flying-mo ... ed/395993/
Yes, but the Belgians are taking a dimmer view and I'm more inclined to listen to them with matters of beer ;)

I'd be curious to try this one, but likely won't at this price point.

portwood

Post by portwood »

DeMarco wrote:
Napalm Frog wrote:Because we all love overpriced beers: Flying Monkeys Invictus is $38 for 750 mL.
I had to look into why it was so expensive. "A beautiful Russian Imperial Stout solera aged in Andalusian sherry barrels and Buffalo Trace/ Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon Barrels over a year and blended into an incredible 17.5% abv elixir."

Personally wouldn't buy a bottle, but I am very curious.
The words "Pappy van Winkle" in any alcohol discussion are worth at least 50% bump in price.
So, this is really a $19 beer ... :lol:
@markhamwhisky

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

GtownRandy wrote:unlike other boring old guard breweries like hockley, neustadt
So what's wrong with boring? Not every brewery has to experiment and push boundaries.

I love trying new, exciting stuff, but if a brewery's business model is to keep a steady, stable market with a basic portfolio, nothing wrong with that.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Fuuuuuuck no

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

GtownRandy wrote:the greeks seem to like it! : https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/flying-mo ... ed/395993/

they're doing something interesting at least, unlike other boring old guard breweries like hockley, neustadt, trafalgar, old credit etc., who don't seem to be keeping up with the times as much as great lakes or nickel brook.
yeah, but...
spoonakos (46) - - DEC 22, 2016
Best Imperial stout ever tasted. Black color with medium brown head. Aroma: caramel, wood, whiskey, chocolate, bourbon, coffee, cogniac, toffee. Taste: caramel, chololate, whiskey, alcohol, very sweet with cognac notes. Sweet aftertaste. Full body. Low carbonation.
when you tell me that Flying Monkeys is making the best imp stout you've ever tasted, i assume that it's the first imperial stout you've ever tasted

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Yes. Cannot be taken seriously. Is Flying Monkeys even on tap in Greece? I presume not.

I'm not a ticker, so this is a serious question -- does this happen a lot on RB and/or BA? Are there many ratings that are either obviously fake or at least questionable?