Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

What time will you be at the brewery in case I can get a group together
Reliable Beer Critic

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

I guess we timed out
Reliable Beer Critic

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

It's probably best to shoot Peter an email if you're going up there.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

peterchiodo wrote:I released Invictus to Europe and the USA prior to Canada because Ontario bloggers/BTers are very hard on Ontario brewers--sometimes rightly and sometimes not...
Perhaps we are as you say. I try to give any promising brew or brand a chance, for example Bench Brewing Co. is exciting right now just with how well they put their beers together, no gimmicks just great character. So I jump to try each new Bench brew I see and they never disappoint. It's shocking when a few breweries really stand out that I wasn't expecting. I doubt we could say all 'Ontario Brewers' are alike.

At any rate aiming to create a flagship FM product (no expense spared) can only be great for increasing the intl. marketability of the company brand so that's great. Also looking forward to trying Deep Tracks, cheers.
In Beerum Veritas

peterchiodo

Post by peterchiodo »

Belgian wrote:
peterchiodo wrote:I released Invictus to Europe and the USA prior to Canada because Ontario bloggers/BTers are very hard on Ontario brewers--sometimes rightly and sometimes not...
Perhaps we are as you say. I try to give any promising brew or brand a chance, for example Bench Brewing Co. is exciting right now just with how well they put their beers together, no gimmicks just great character. So I jump to try each new Bench brew I see and they never disappoint. It's shocking when a few breweries really stand out that I wasn't expecting. I doubt we could say all 'Ontario Brewers' are alike.

At any rate aiming to create a flagship FM product (no expense spared) can only be great for increasing the intl. marketability of the company brand so that's great. Also looking forward to trying Deep Tracks, cheers.
Sorry Sammy...I was here until 9pm yesterday.....just craziness going on...
I'm back on Sunday.....Does later afternoon work for a group? I'm thinking 4ish? You can definitely email me at peter at theflyingmonkeys.ca

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

Did anyone get up to Flying Monkeys on Sunday? How was it?

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

My bottle of Invictus just showed up, but at 17.5%, not sure when I'm gonna crack it open...

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Napalm Frog wrote:My bottle of Invictus just showed up, but at 17.5%, not sure when I'm gonna crack it open...
Same here. Interesting that the packaging says "Vintage 2015", didn't realize it was brewed back then, thought it would have been a 2016.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

Ordered two Invictus bottles from online. My preference would be to try one, but had to do two to satisfy the $50 minimum order. LCBO's minimum order threshold is definitely reasonable, but I wish they would allow customers to purchase single bottles like with Invictus so we could mix and match, instead of entire boxes of a single beer costing hundreds. Yes, you can return most of the order when purchasing, but I always get the stink eye from employees since its a time consuming procedure. I've never paid $38 for beer before, even for a bottle of Westy bought on Ebay eons ago. I don't doubt that it will be a very fine beer given the positive reviews elsewhere but I've broken my rule of never paying more than $20 for a bottle of beer, twice in this case. See what you made me do Peter :P ? Any chance we could see Invictus on the shelves? BTW, good job with the Raspberry Stout!

peterchiodo

Post by peterchiodo »

Lukie wrote:Ordered two Invictus bottles from online. My preference would be to try one, but had to do two to satisfy the $50 minimum order. LCBO's minimum order threshold is definitely reasonable, but I wish they would allow customers to purchase single bottles like with Invictus so we could mix and match, instead of entire boxes of a single beer costing hundreds. Yes, you can return most of the order when purchasing, but I always get the stink eye from employees since its a time consuming procedure. I've never paid $38 for beer before, even for a bottle of Westy bought on Ebay eons ago. I don't doubt that it will be a very fine beer given the positive reviews elsewhere but I've broken my rule of never paying more than $20 for a bottle of beer, twice in this case. See what you made me do Peter :P ? Any chance we could see Invictus on the shelves? BTW, good job with the Raspberry Stout!
Luke,

I apologize for making you do the purchase but I promise if you don't like the first bottle I'll personally buy the second back.
Unfortunately, Invictus will never make it to the shelf as we honestly brew it for my personal consumption.....
Can we talk about the $20 rule you just broke? If you're managing to get stuff from Westbrook for under $20, please count me in on your next order!
Mexican cake is one of my all-time favs.

Peter

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

I think he meant the westy 12 trappist, not westbrook
peterchiodo wrote:
Lukie wrote:Ordered two Invictus bottles from online. My preference would be to try one, but had to do two to satisfy the $50 minimum order. LCBO's minimum order threshold is definitely reasonable, but I wish they would allow customers to purchase single bottles like with Invictus so we could mix and match, instead of entire boxes of a single beer costing hundreds. Yes, you can return most of the order when purchasing, but I always get the stink eye from employees since its a time consuming procedure. I've never paid $38 for beer before, even for a bottle of Westy bought on Ebay eons ago. I don't doubt that it will be a very fine beer given the positive reviews elsewhere but I've broken my rule of never paying more than $20 for a bottle of beer, twice in this case. See what you made me do Peter :P ? Any chance we could see Invictus on the shelves? BTW, good job with the Raspberry Stout!
Luke,

I apologize for making you do the purchase but I promise if you don't like the first bottle I'll personally buy the second back.
Unfortunately, Invictus will never make it to the shelf as we honestly brew it for my personal consumption.....
Can we talk about the $20 rule you just broke? If you're managing to get stuff from Westbrook for under $20, please count me in on your next order!

Peter

peterchiodo

Post by peterchiodo »

Yes, I did indeed know what Luke meant......(I had a 2012 Westy last weekend).......but I'd take a Westbrook Mexican Cake over it any day of the week).
spinrsx wrote:I think he meant the westy 12 trappist, not westbrook
peterchiodo wrote:
Luke,

Peter

mikeneri81

Post by mikeneri81 »

I have my 2 bottles of Invictus on their way to my local LCBO as we speak. I've always been a fan of FM, especially The Barrel Aged Manifesto. :o

I have no doubt this will be great. :)

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

July 12, 2017

Zodiak by Omnipollo http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/brunsw ... WdrsrgpWVs
IPA - American / $3.60 (473 mL can) / Ontario, Canada

July 11, 2017

Unibroue Collection Pack
Gift / $13.25 (6 x 341 mL bottle) / Quebec, Canada

Das Spritzhaus by Abe Erb Brewing
Hefeweizen / $2.85 (473 mL can) / Ontario, Canada

Black Bellows White
N/A / $3.25 (473 mL can) / Ontario, Canada

Éphémère Sureau (Elderberry) by Unibroue
Fruit Beer / $14.25 (6 x 341 mL bottle) / Quebec, Canada

July 8, 2017

Farmer's Daughter by Whitewater Brewing Co.
Blonde Ale / $2.85 (473 mL can) / Ontario, Canada

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

GtownRandy wrote:July 12, 2017

Zodiak by Omnipollo http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/brunsw ... WdrsrgpWVs
IPA - American / $3.60 (473 mL can) / Ontario, Canada
You think Henok of Omnipollo came to brew this beer here or did he give the recipe to brunswick? I'm guessing the latter.