Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Coronaeus wrote:Another screwup for the CBS At Summerhill today. The Founders website said that it would go on sale at 9:30 and to line up at 8:30. It has since been changed to 11:00 on their site. The good people at the LCBO were willing to sell to those silly few who got here before opening so that we wouldn’t have to wait another couple hours. They have stopped that and now anyone arriving will have to wait until 11:00 to buy. Probably sold about 8 to 10 cases prior to the halt. . On top of that, the night crew put it all out on the floor despite the fact that they were supposed to wait until 11:00. It has all been moved back into storage.

No limits to begin, but if it starts to sell too quickly they will begin to set limits, or so I overheard. So, if you need it today and want a lot, get here and line up. Or wait two weeks and buy a case when it has become a shelf turd.
Wow, they just can't get anything right for this one. Hopefully it doesn't shake Founders' confidence in the LCBO, we've been getting a lot of their stuff lately and I'm pretty happy about it.

distr0

Post by distr0 »

I sure hope founders doesn't take any hit for the LCBO selling so many bottles at 75%+ off

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

distr0 wrote:I sure hope founders doesn't take any hit for the LCBO selling so many bottles at 75%+ off
I imagine Founders has invoiced/will invoice the LCBO for the bottles they've sent here, and the accounting error is entirely on the LCBO. They wouldn't have any recourse to pay the supplier less because they undercharged.
Last edited by seangm on Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

My understanding is it is usually the importer who gets screwed for stuff like that, not the original brewery. I'm not sure how they handle thing being rung in wrong, since that must be hard to track.

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

Coronaeus wrote:Another screwup for the CBS At Summerhill today. The Founders website said that it would go on sale at 9:30 and to line up at 8:30. It has since been changed to 11:00 on their site. The good people at the LCBO were willing to sell to those silly few who got here before opening so that we wouldn’t have to wait another couple hours. They have stopped that and now anyone arriving will have to wait until 11:00 to buy. Probably sold about 8 to 10 cases prior to the halt. . On top of that, the night crew put it all out on the floor despite the fact that they were supposed to wait until 11:00. It has all been moved back into storage.

No limits to begin, but if it starts to sell too quickly they will begin to set limits, or so I overheard. So, if you need it today and want a lot, get here and line up. Or wait two weeks and buy a case when it has become a shelf turd.
They just can't get this one right.

The LCBO setting limits is pointless. At the BCBS release, it was one bottle per person but you could get back for another one. Couldn't you just leave the store, come back in and buy the limit again?

I was in California last year when Firestone Walker released Parabola. They were scanning drivers licenses to make sure people only bought one. They didn't do anything with my Canadian passport I used as ID, so I probably could have gone back everyday and bought more. It's not a perfect system but they were trying.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Craig wrote:My understanding is it is usually the importer who gets screwed for stuff like that, not the original brewery. I'm not sure how they handle thing being rung in wrong, since that must be hard to track.
Ah, yes I can see that happening, although in this case as an importer I'd push back pretty hard since it was employee error at store level. Management should have been a lot more organized and prepared for this release, definitely a fail at every level. That said, I wasn't above taking advantage of their mistake :lol:

distr0

Post by distr0 »

or, you know, allow retail stores to exist that might actually give a shit about beer

mtomlins

Post by mtomlins »

distr0 wrote:or, you know, allow retail stores to exist that might actually give a shit about beer
If I could, I would 'Like' this comment a thousand times!!

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

Does anyone know if the LCBO will list CBS on their website today? It'd be great to know if there's CBS in stock later today before going up to Summerhill.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

I was there at 9:34, walked in to see the sign say CBS @ 11am. I had to go to work for 10am, so I bailed. I had some friends there now saying the first 20 people who got a number are having a guided tasting with the CEO of founders at summerhill right now.

Edit: apparently just the ceo talking about CBS the whole time.
Last edited by DeMarco on Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Urotsukidoji

Post by Urotsukidoji »

I bought 4 CBS at the Heartland LCBO in Mississauga on Monday.... took them forever to key in properly as they were still not scanning.... prob still have some

skootles

Post by skootles »

Christ they really fucked this one up. I had friends who were waiting in line this morning and were told they couldn't buy any so they left.

I was at the Liberty Village LCBO today and saw an employee grab a couple packs for someone from the back but ultimately didn't let him buy it after checking something at the register, I guess they're waiting until tomorrow.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

distr0 wrote:I sure hope founders doesn't take any hit for the LCBO selling so many bottles at 75%+ off
Anyone know what they did when the KBS was sold for 7 something per 4 pack versus per bottle?
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

HeliKOOPter

Post by HeliKOOPter »

According to my local LCBO, CBS will not be sold until January as they received word that the bar code is not going to be active until then.

I feel as though this was a note from HQ as a "please stop bugging us about it". When I mentioned that I had ordered a case (and two cases of backwoods that had been sold) to this specific location, the beer person seemed to feel bad that they had already sold most of the case prior to receiving the memo.

I'll be checking out a few other LCBOs to see if this message is consistent, but I'm curious how he cases were being sold/treated at Summerhill throughout the day.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Coronaeus wrote:Another screwup for the CBS At Summerhill today... Or wait two weeks and buy a case when it has become a shelf turd.
^ Perhaps a malapropism. It's 'optional cellar inventory.' 8)
In Beerum Veritas