Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Gavin

Post by Gavin »

BeerIsGood wrote:Wow! Regarding the Founders issue...while I don’t generally like to get involved in these type of discussions on a beer page (it’s one of the reasons I come here), I will say this: judging companies and making purchasing decisions on moral/ethical grounds can be a very slippery slope. Own any Apple products? Checked their human rights/employment practices? Sure you know where your spouses diamond came from? Got any lithium batteries? 50% of the worlds cobalt comes from the DRC. Do you know what it’s like there for the citizens? Certain that Ontario produce wasn’t picked by exploited or blackmailed migrant workers? Check out a doc called Migrant Dreams if you doubt me. Feeling confident that the fish you just ate wasn’t caught using the very destructive techniques of Bottom Trawling or Explosion Fishing? How many animals died to test your cosmetics or shampoo? If you drilled down deep enough, IMO you wouldn’t buy much based on the moral judgment idea.
If you can't do absolutely everything, then it's not worth doing anything. Got it :roll:

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

People here like beer, and since there are so many choices, it’s very easy to display moral indignation about one brewery and easily move on to the next. However, when the moral outrage involves a product in which the choices are far fewer, people will back peddle and attempt to justify their decisions. I went to a documentary film festival in March and many of the films were about environmental degradation. People whaled and carped immediately after the films about how horrible it was...then drove the 1km home in their SUV’s rather than walk. First world problems...the discussion of things...as long as you don’t REALLY have to change.

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

No 2018/2019 Christmas or Winter list until Nov 12th :/ what's the point?

tyke66a

Post by tyke66a »

Apparently most of the Christmas packs and stock, ie Fullers Vintage Ale, will not be listed online until after Remembrance Day as a mark of respect. Fullers Vintage Ale is out in select stores now. By the way the LCBO has messed up the Imperial Stout calling it Fullers Brewers Reserve Imperial Stout. Fullers has only brewed 5 Brewers Reserve ales so far and they are listed as 1-5 and there is NO imperial stout. They are all beers that were cask conditioned in sherry, whisky,cognac etc barrels. To my dismay we are not getting Samuel Smiths Winter Welcome for the second year running
:cry: :cry:

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Ffs no Sam Smiths again?? Yet every year we get the horrible fucking “Bah Humbug”. Marketing at its best, I guess.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

sofakingdrunk wrote:Ffs no Sam Smiths again?? Yet every year we get the horrible fucking “Bah Humbug”...
For such a massive buyer with so many resources the LCBO is really on autopilot with some seasonal releases (AKA the 'ahh fuck it' releases.)
In Beerum Veritas

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

drops Nov 5th @ LCBO in Amsterdam Flight pack with 3 other beers.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

JaseWescott wrote:Image

It's about time. Of course there's a catch though, being in a mix pack will make it prohibitive to stock up. Hopefully they offer some interesting options and not just their boring core brands.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Can you maybe just get it from their retail store in singles?

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

Double Tempest Day is November 17, so I don't see why they wouldn't have it as singles by then.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

seangm wrote:
JaseWescott wrote:Image

It's about time. Of course there's a catch though, being in a mix pack will make it prohibitive to stock up. Hopefully they offer some interesting options and not just their boring core brands.
Take the tempest and return the other three...?

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Masterplan wrote:
seangm wrote: It's about time. Of course there's a catch though, being in a mix pack will make it prohibitive to stock up. Hopefully they offer some interesting options and not just their boring core brands.
Take the tempest and return the other three...?
Hah! That might be an option if they're already listed at the LCBO.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Napalm Frog wrote:Double Tempest Day is November 17, so I don't see why they wouldn't have it as singles by then.
Unfortunately it doesn't look likely, I was digging through comments on their IG and they said it'll only be in the mix pack this time.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

seangm wrote:
Napalm Frog wrote:Double Tempest Day is November 17, so I don't see why they wouldn't have it as singles by then.
Unfortunately it doesn't look likely, I was digging through comments on their IG and they said it'll only be in the mix pack this time.

So it seems the mixed pack is : starke Pilsner;boneshaker;space invader and Tempest.
———I’ll but it(maybe a couple) to get my hands in some Tempest, after a couple years without. I actually quite enjoy the Space Invader as well.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

sofakingdrunk wrote:
seangm wrote:

So it seems the mixed pack is : starke Pilsner;boneshaker;space invader and Tempest.
———I’ll but it(maybe a couple) to get my hands in some Tempest, after a couple years without. I actually quite enjoy the Space Invader as well.
Quite a good mix pack, actually. Not had the Starke Pilsner since the day we signed David Price. At least the beer hasn't buggered off to Boston and won a world series ring. As long as there's not a glass thrown in, I'll probably buy a few of these.