Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:If there’s a bottle limit at Summerhill then why wouldn’t there be a bottle limit online?
Has this been confirmed? Or are you just assuming that the LCBO will for some reason have the good sense to set a limit (like the brewery itself did)? Not trying to be rude; I honestly didn't see any limit mentioned over the past few pages of this thread, but I guess I might've missed it.

I live in the sticks (where there are no 'limited releases' anyhow) and don't use the online ordering system, so I genuinely have no idea if setting beer bottle limits is a common practice.

I suppose after the KBS roll-out I just don't expect the LCBO to give half a shit about consumers having an equal chance to buy this beer. Why should they care whether or not everyone who wants a bottle gets one, or if one guy buys up the whole shipment at once? They've got their money either way, and the second scenario is far less of a hassle for them.

portwood

Post by portwood »

darmokandjalad wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote:If there’s a bottle limit at Summerhill then why wouldn’t there be a bottle limit online?
Has this been confirmed? Or are you just assuming that the LCBO will for some reason have the good sense to set a limit (like the brewery itself did)? Not trying to be rude; I honestly didn't see any limit mentioned over the past few pages of this thread, but I guess I might've missed it.
I don't know if it will apply to this particular release - or any other beer - but can confirm they have applied bottle limits to online ordering.
A couple of days ago they released Lot 40 Cask Strength* and while trying to order 2, I got a message of a 1 bottle limit. Buuuuut that appears to have been a simple nuisance - I closed out the order, then proceeded to place another one (along with a Wiser's 35 yo). A couple of minutes later I received an email that both orders were shipped. I'll report back if one of them is taken back.

* for those not following whisky (similar nonsense as happens in "craft" beer), Lot 40 CS is the first (substantially) higher than "normal" proof Canadian Whisky on the market: 55% ABV, 100% rye grain (most Canadian "rye" contains very little to no rye at all), distilled to low proof (as opposed to what goes into most Cdn Whisky which is distilled to near flavourless "neutral" alcohol), no chill filtration. This one has been hotly anticipated for months (if not decades) and the release has been trickling for a few weeks to a handful of stores in Toronto - including a downtown posh "popup" store. The fear was this would be a "Summerhill-like" release available only to those living close to Rosedale.
@markhamwhisky

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

portwood wrote:
* for those not following whisky (similar nonsense as happens in "craft" beer), Lot 40 CS is the first (substantially) higher than "normal" proof Canadian Whisky on the market: 55% ABV, 100% rye grain (most Canadian "rye" contains very little to no rye at all), distilled to low proof (as opposed to what goes into most Cdn Whisky which is distilled to near flavourless "neutral" alcohol), no chill filtration. This one has been hotly anticipated for months (if not decades) and the release has been trickling for a few weeks to a handful of stores in Toronto - including a downtown posh "popup" store. The fear was this would be a "Summerhill-like" release available only to those living close to Rosedale.
yeah, i snagged one as well. looks like it's a bottle that you work through slowly over time. the online sale was a very nice surprise seeing the weird, random store allocations it currently has (and yes, it's in rural ontario)

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

darmokandjalad wrote:
Has this been confirmed? Or are you just assuming that the LCBO will for some reason have the good sense to set a limit (like the brewery itself did)?
I don’t know and I wasn’t assuming. I was stating IF there is a bottle limit at Summerhill then why wouldn’t there be one if it was online instead? And IF there isn’t a bottle limit at Summerhill then what’s the difference of a hoarder buying them all at Summerhill or buying them all online? At least if it was only online we’d (I also live in the sticks) also have a chance at it.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

S M A

Post by S M A »

BakaGaijin wrote:
walz22 wrote:Awesome, thanks.
Backwoods is listed now.
Backwoods Bastard and Breakfast Stout showing stock now. But I just don't understand why Peterborough and Ottawa get all the good releases!! :P

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I was assuming there would be a bottle limit based on the BCBS release a couple of years ago (Summerhill only; 1 bottle limit - though, curiously, there weren't enough people in line and in the result anyone could grab a second bottle if they wished. At $35 a pop I stuck at one).

Akikodjiwan

Post by Akikodjiwan »

S M A wrote:
BakaGaijin wrote:
walz22 wrote:Awesome, thanks.
Backwoods is listed now.
Backwoods Bastard and Breakfast Stout showing stock now. But I just don't understand why Peterborough and Ottawa get all the good releases!! :P
Thanks for the tip!

portwood

Post by portwood »

that Breakfast Stout label seems a bit off...

... oh, yeah, its Ontario ... wouldn't want to advertise beer in baby's porridge instead of milk. Might upset the dairy board ...

but its ok for Nickelbrook to objectify women to sell beer ...

:roll:
@markhamwhisky

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

portwood wrote:that Breakfast Stout label seems a bit off...
I'm surprised 'Backwoods Bastard' gets a pass. Not changed to 'Backwoods Rascal" or "Backwoods Na'er-do-well".

"Backwoods of Single Mom By Choice."
In Beerum Veritas

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

... oh, yeah, its Ontario ... wouldn't want to advertise beer in baby's porridge instead of milk. Might upset the dairy board ...

When it was here a couple years back as the brewery feature, they did have the baby label.

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

MatttthewGeorge wrote: I was stating IF there is a bottle limit at Summerhill then why wouldn’t there be one if it was online instead?
Yes, that seems logical. The sentiment of my original post was rooted in the fact that I don't trust the LCBO to know any better, regardless of whether they do it online or in store. I've learned to be a pessimist when it comes to this sort of topic ;)
MatttthewGeorge wrote:And IF there isn’t a bottle limit at Summerhill then what’s the difference of a hoarder buying them all at Summerhill or buying them all online? At least if it was only online we’d (I also live in the sticks) also have a chance at it.
Fair enough. I was simply intimating that, either way, a lot of people are going to be disappointed, whether they have to stand in a line or refresh a web browser page over and over.

I guess the main difference is that if it's online, then the people who get a bottle will be more widely distributed across the province, instead of concentrated in a 25 km radius around Summerhill. So I understand your point as to why the online method is the 'least bad' option. If there's a bottle limit too, then great - as you said earlier, that's the best way to do it.

And to the others who responded, thank you for the clarification. It doesn't surprise me that they'd do bottle limits with a rare expensive whiskey, but the LCBO doesn't have a history of treating beer the same way that it treats spirits (or wine). Like everyone else, I'll just have to wait and see if it ends up being a clusterf**k or not. I don't plan on trying to get a bottle anyway but it'll be interesting to see how they handle it.

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

I don't think this has anything to do with Ontario. The original complaint about the label with the kid on it (which was some time last year, I believe) came from the New Hampshire state government (I think?). I recall reading about it at the time. My reaction was exactly the same as yours - an eye roll.

I don't know if they just changed all of the breakfast stout labels, or if they simply came up with a second version of the label (sans child) for use in jurisdictions run by sanctimonious wankers. But it looks like we're getting the sanctimonious wanker variant.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

darmokandjalad wrote:

I don't think this has anything to do with Ontario. The original complaint about the label with the kid on it (which was some time last year, I believe) came from the New Hampshire state government (I think?). I recall reading about it at the time. My reaction was exactly the same as yours - an eye roll.

I don't know if they just changed all of the breakfast stout labels, or if they simply came up with a second version of the label (sans child) for use in jurisdictions run by sanctimonious wankers. But it looks like we're getting the sanctimonious wanker variant.
Its looks to be a 2nd version of the label. Picked breakfast stout up in buffalo in mid oct (before I knew...) and it has the kid on it.

gjkerr

Post by gjkerr »

Going to be a BCBS release at King St/Portland LCBO on Black Friday ... I’ll just leave that here.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Here’s one more thing I’ll just leave...

There’s going to be a good amount of CBS, 800 cases or so...

And it’s going to be cheap. 8.50. Shh! I should delete this post in a day or so...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John