Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Seemed like anyone who arrived by 9:30 opening time or just after got a bottle. Not at all the mayhem that surrounded Westy. Really well organized by Goose Island (not LCBO) staff, with numbered tickets, coffee and donuts, and free toques. Well done.

walz22

Post by walz22 »

Agreed, the free items to keep the people in line happy were a nice touch.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Self-serve coffee was especially nice.

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

midlife crisis wrote:Seemed like anyone who arrived by 9:30 opening time or just after got a bottle. Not at all the mayhem that surrounded Westy. Really well organized by Goose Island (not LCBO) staff, with numbered tickets, coffee and donuts, and free toques. Well done.
There was enough for second bottles if you wanted to line up after and wait again too.

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

LCBO and Goose Island definitely both worked on the event. LCBO social media manager was there and the summerhill store manager was also there, both engaging with the Goose and Breakfast Television folks. Hope to see more LCBO coordinated releases in the future, easy location to get to compared to Queens Quay.
GTA Brews - Toronto's Homebrew Club - http://www.gtabrews.ca/

Eric's Brewing Blog - Advanced Homebrewing for the Intermediate Brewer - http://www.ericbrews.com/

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Anyone know if amsterdam tempest is coming back to the lcbo this year? Id like to keep my vertical going..

MeltedOzark

Post by MeltedOzark »

rfrf wrote:
midlife crisis wrote:Seemed like anyone who arrived by 9:30 opening time or just after got a bottle. Not at all the mayhem that surrounded Westy. Really well organized by Goose Island (not LCBO) staff, with numbered tickets, coffee and donuts, and free toques. Well done.
There was enough for second bottles if you wanted to line up after and wait again too.
Did anyone actually do that? I overheard an LCBO employee emphasizing the one bottle limit. Didn't know you could do that. Maybe it's best I didn't find out so as to avoid spending $70 on 1.3L of beer....

walz22

Post by walz22 »

From what I heard, the Goose reps and some LCBO guys by the door were actually encouraging people to grab a second ticket and line back up to get a second bottle

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I can confirm that some people did get a second bottle and that the GI staff explained to the front of the line that you could queue up again after your first bottle to get a second if you want. Both first-hand. :D

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

ercousin wrote:LCBO and Goose Island definitely both worked on the event. LCBO social media manager was there and the summerhill store manager was also there, both engaging with the Goose and Breakfast Television folks. Hope to see more LCBO coordinated releases in the future, easy location to get to compared to Queens Quay.
Fair enough. It just seemed to me that anyone who was engaging with customers in line and generally making it a more pleasant experience was Goose, not LCBO.

skootles

Post by skootles »

spinrsx wrote:Anyone know if amsterdam tempest is coming back to the lcbo this year? Id like to keep my vertical going..
I've heard rumours that there won't be a 2015 version. Personally I think that's crazy, but they also dodged my question about it on Twitter when I asked a couple of times.

I also want to keep my vertical going. Did a 2011/2013/2014 last year (couldn't get 2012, but we did find it in a bar a few weeks later and enjoyed it then) and they'd aged very nicely.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Every time I've had a tempest more than 2 years old, I didn't like it. The flights they did a couple years ago really proved that to me. To each their own, of course, but I liked it best with one year on it.

HeliKOOPter

Post by HeliKOOPter »

MeltedOzark wrote:
rfrf wrote:
Did anyone actually do that? I overheard an LCBO employee emphasizing the one bottle limit. Didn't know you could do that. Maybe it's best I didn't find out so as to avoid spending $70 on 1.3L of beer....
I heard an announcement while I was paying for my first bottle.

Unfortunately by the time my wife returned from my car, there weren't any tickets remaining.

I found it surprising, however, that ticket #209 was the final ticket handed out. It appeared as though there were at least a few bottles remaining as I left the store for the second time.

HeliKOOPter

Post by HeliKOOPter »

The event ran smoothly. The donuts were delicious. The coffee satisfying.

The only improvement I would make on this, an encouraged bottle share. I understand some needed to go to work, but line shares are among the greatest moments known to man.

beerguykw

Post by beerguykw »

Personally, I'd like to see a few more "flagship" stores in the province. As it is the LCB of ONTARIO, i don't think its fair to the rest of the province that only those in Toronto are lucky enough to get anything. I would have had to take the day off work and leave at 5 30 in the morning to get to Summerhill in any reasonable amount of time. Every one in the province contributes to their livelihood, but only the 'privileged' in Toronto get to reap the full benefit.