Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

Fat Tug is so, so good fresh. Rarely found fresh tho.

gjkerr

Post by gjkerr »

KBS has been added to LCBO site as product #491613 - $7.25/355ml bottle ... SOON!

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

gjkerr wrote:KBS has been added to LCBO site as product #491613 - $7.25/355ml bottle ... SOON!
It's like the time they brought in 4D from Kuhnhenn. LCBO being weird again.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

ChrisK wrote:
gjkerr wrote:KBS has been added to LCBO site as product #491613 - $7.25/355ml bottle ... SOON!
Still have a few 4D kicking around, such a great beer.

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

Masterplan wrote:
ChrisK wrote:
It's a shame it was only a one-off. "It sold out in a matter of days? Welp, better not ever bring it in again."

That is, of course, if Kuhnhenn actually wanted to do business with the LCBO after the fact. I can't imagine the importation process being fun for such a small brewer.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Masterplan wrote:
ChrisK wrote:
Had a 4D on Sunday, down to my last 3 .

Really surprised how mellow they are now, in a good way.

They were pricey at $7.95 back in 2013, doesn't seem like in now though.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

so I heard that the KBS is from 2016? leftover stock that was made for the 'international market' some such

was 2016 11.9%? whats the 2017 version? lcbo version showing as 11.9%

gjkerr

Post by gjkerr »

Untappd showing KBS 2017 as 12% ... too close to call? That said, it does show 2016 as having two variants - 12.4 and 11.9. Would be nice to know. Consider as well Founders' own statement on the KBS Week site FAQs:

Is KBS cellarable? What's the shelf life?
The suggested shelf life is 365 days. Like all of our beers, we suggest that you drink it fresh. We like to say that if it's meant to be aged, we age it for you.

For what it's worth given the international market comment, there's a slew of recent Untappd check ins on the 2016 11.9% version ... all in eastern Europe and Scandinavia.

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

I emailed Founders about 20 minutes ago about KBS at the LCBO and got a reply already.
Thanks for your interest in Founders!

We are excited to come back to Ontario and bring KBS and All Day to the LCBO to get things going.

Regarding the KBS product, our international business has a separate batch of KBS that gets made in December so this product comes from that.
It is NOT from last March’s batch that the US business had.

Thanks again for your support!

Have a great week,

gjkerr

Post by gjkerr »

Good sleuthing.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Wonder when we get the All Day ipa..

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

jeremyg wrote:Fat Tug is so, so good fresh. Rarely found fresh tho.
just FYI,
Fat Tug was on tap at beerbistro last night, so delicious.
In Beerum Veritas

skootles

Post by skootles »

jeremyg wrote:Fat Tug is so, so good fresh. Rarely found fresh tho.
You should try it fresh from the source sometime, it's just heaven. You can also do a nice little brewery tour - Phillips, Hoyne, Vancover Island Brewing, and Moon Under Water are all within walking distance of Driftwood's brewery in Victoria.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

It's a shame.....was in Victoria for a wedding in 2006. However this was a couple years before I was in to real beer and all i was interested in was drinking my Keith's or Stella. Would have been great to hit up some of these places if only I'd known good beer.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

sofakingdrunk wrote:It's a shame.....was in Victoria for a wedding in 2006. However this was a couple years before I was in to real beer and all i was interested in was drinking my Keith's or Stella. Would have been great to hit up some of these places if only I'd known good beer.
I have this same regret when I was in burlington, vt back in 2009. The guy we stayed with kept telling me how great the beer in vermont was, but I was like nahhh I want the cheap stuff. Now I go to VT just to drink.