Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

GregClow wrote:
PeenSteen wrote:Alexander Keiths Cascade Hop Ale
Alexander Keiths Hallertauer Hop Ale
:o

Wow. That's... interesting...
Yeah, that's what jumped out at me too, despite the Goose Island inclusions (which are great to see BTW). Does Keith's actually have a craft division now?

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
GregClow wrote:
PeenSteen wrote:Alexander Keiths Cascade Hop Ale
Alexander Keiths Hallertauer Hop Ale
:o

Wow. That's... interesting...
Yeah, that's what jumped out at me too, despite the Goose Island inclusions (which are great to see BTW). Does Keith's actually have a craft division now?
Wonder if it's similar to the stuff they had at cask days...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

StevenThrasher

Post by StevenThrasher »

esprit wrote:As of yesterday, Orval is in 23 stores around the province with more to come in the next few days.
Grabbed a case at the Richmond Hill location.
Good to see they have dividers in the 24 packaging now, unlike 5 or so years ago last time I bought it.

Bottles say bottled on 09/10/2012
This is very young for me. Of course a fine brew. Needs another year at least I think to bring out its true brilliance, but that yeast I love so much is there.

StevenThrasher

Post by StevenThrasher »

StevenThrasher wrote: Bottles say bottled on 09/10/2012
This is very young for me. Of course a fine brew. Needs another year at least I think to bring out its true brilliance, but that yeast I love so much is there.
Now that I can finally buy this again I had to break open one of the last three stragglers from my first purchase.

These say:
bottled on 22.07.2004 so 8 1/2 years old and technically "expired" 3 1/2 years ago.

The head and hops were noticeably lighter but the beer is far darker and more complex. That lovely "horse blanket" can't be denied.
These were my favourite batch (had some 2005s too) and they are a little past their prime but even so I like them better then the current state of the new batch. Time will tell what the new batch turns into.
Think I will have to get some more to last me the next 8 1/2 years.

zombi69

Post by zombi69 »

I was reading that the Keith's Hop offerings were only going to be on tap to see how they sell to see if they are worthy of bottling...

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

zombi69 wrote:I was reading that the Keith's Hop offerings were only going to be on tap to see how they sell to see if they are worthy of bottling...

mmmmmm, lcbo kegs

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

matt7215 wrote:
zombi69 wrote:I was reading that the Keith's Hop offerings were only going to be on tap to see how they sell to see if they are worthy of bottling...
mmmmmm, lcbo kegs
YES. All Keith's beers really have to be experienced at home, on kegs to really 'get' these beers and why those that like them like them a lot.
In Beerum Veritas

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

very excited about those Keiths offerings.
will trade my Westy 12 for them. straight up.

zombi69

Post by zombi69 »

Belgian wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
mmmmmm, lcbo kegs
YES. All Keith's beers really have to be experienced at home, on kegs to really 'get' these beers and why those that like them like them a lot.
I'm enjoying my keg right now in fact!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

zombi69 wrote:
Belgian wrote:
matt7215 wrote: mmmmmm, lcbo kegs
cool, whats the lcbo product #? id like to get some of these kegs shipped to a local lcbo outlet

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

matt7215 wrote:
zombi69 wrote:
Belgian wrote: YES. All Keith's beers really have to be experienced at home, on kegs to really 'get' these beers and why those that like them like them a lot.
cool, whats the lcbo product #? id like to get some of these kegs shipped to a local lcbo outlet
They will ship a minimum of one case of kegs to any LC outlet. Tricky to move, of course but worth having a few spare kegs on hand for beer trades.
In Beerum Veritas

heebes

Post by heebes »

is the sarcasm on this board this thick or am i actually reading that wrong...?
you want a KEG of keiths?!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

heebes wrote:is the sarcasm on this board this thick or am i actually reading that wrong...?
you want a KEG of keiths?!
- the LCBO doesnt deal in kegs, these beers are coming to the LCBO,
- it was posted that these beers are only availible in kegs and that a keg was being consumed
- so either the LCBO is doing a special keg release of these brand new exciting keiths offerings or were getting less exciting bottles or cans of 2 different keiths products

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

LCBO doesn't deal with kegs, period. It's outsourced to a number of companies, The Beer Store itself being one of them.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Cass wrote:LCBO doesn't deal with kegs, period. It's outsourced to a number of companies, The Beer Store itself being one of them.
oh no! if this is true then what zombi said cant be true and there must be a problem with the internets!

quick, someone, check the tubes!