Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

midlife crisis wrote:Yes. Cannot be taken seriously. Is Flying Monkeys even on tap in Greece? I presume not.

I'm not a ticker, so this is a serious question -- does this happen a lot on RB and/or BA? Are there many ratings that are either obviously fake or at least questionable?
Are you suggesting they are fake or questionable on FM's part? I could see maybe the wrong beer being checked-in or something, but I don't think FM would fake ratings from Greece & Belgium. So many Ontario breweries do ship out of country, FM being one of the first. I remember back in Smashbomb's heyday their rep was complaining they couldn't get any Smashbomb for his licensees yet their was a skid being shipped to Sweden.

Overall this beer could be the best damn RIS every made, but FM haven't done anything lately to justify that type of price point. I'm not suggesting they're overcharging, for I have no idea how much it cost to make it. I'm suggesting even if they're breaking even, I don't have that type of cash for anything FM makes right now. How about hitting it out of the park on some less expensive types of beers, in order to build confidence in the brand, and then release something like this. I don't know if I'd pay that much from any Ontario brewery, but certainly not FM at this point.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I have no information on which to suggest anything, but you have to agree that it is a little curious that a new beer comes out from a small Ontario brewery and all the ratings are from Europe, don't you? If FM regularly exports to Greece in particular or Europe in general then that would explain it.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

I used to like flying monkeys years ago, I thought they were on the ball and ahead of the curve vs other ontario brewers, but such hasn't been the case for a long long time. Even up until about 3 years ago I'd still buy Hopical or Netherworld or smashbomb every now and then. But then they started not tasting as good.
I'm not going to immediately dismis it as shit, even though thy havnt made anything good in ~5/6 years(although I quite enjoyed the "matador". But come on, what have they been smoking to charge this. Yes, I get it.....pappy barrels aren't exactly abundant, but no. You're not Bellwoods/Great Lakes/nickelbrook who have been consistently been producing good-great beers for the past x number of years. You've been throwing out hot mess/sickly sweet/bland and boring/whatever else for that time. It's a giant leap of faith for Someone to part with 40$ for a bottle of this, when you can get 3 bottles of top end Bellwoods stuff for about the same $ and know, it's going to be good at the very least

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:
midlife crisis wrote:Yes. Cannot be taken seriously. Is Flying Monkeys even on tap in Greece? I presume not.

I'm not a ticker, so this is a serious question -- does this happen a lot on RB and/or BA? Are there many ratings that are either obviously fake or at least questionable?
Are you suggesting they are fake or questionable on FM's part? I could see maybe the wrong beer being checked-in or something, but I don't think FM would fake ratings from Greece & Belgium. So many Ontario breweries do ship out of country, FM being one of the first. I remember back in Smashbomb's heyday their rep was complaining they couldn't get any Smashbomb for his licensees yet their was a skid being shipped to Sweden.

Overall this beer could be the best damn RIS every made, but FM haven't done anything lately to justify that type of price point. I'm not suggesting they're overcharging, for I have no idea how much it cost to make it. I'm suggesting even if they're breaking even, I don't have that type of cash for anything FM makes right now. How about hitting it out of the park on some less expensive types of beers, in order to build confidence in the brand, and then release something like this. I don't know if I'd pay that much from any Ontario brewery, but certainly not FM at this point.

^^^^aaaaand as I was writing my reply, you basically made the same point lol :lol:

MattS

Post by MattS »

midlife crisis wrote:I have no information on which to suggest anything, but you have to agree that it is a little curious that a new beer comes out from a small Ontario brewery and all the ratings are from Europe, don't you? If FM regularly exports to Greece in particular or Europe in general then that would explain it.
Flying Monkeys have been appearing in random spots across Europe for a while. I was in Barcelona last year and every decent beer bar had something of theirs on tap. One of the RB reviews was from Biercab in Barcelona, which was one of the bars carrying Matador last year. Don't know about Greece specifically, but no reason to assume that this beer hasn't found it's way there.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

OK, in that case I am uninformed and that explains it. Sorry FM!

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

I remember doing a double take when I saw a bunch of FM stuff at a bottle shop in Valencia a few years back. Think I spotted it in Rome as well.

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

it looks like they have been exporting to europe for a while now: http://exportwise.ca/flying-monkeys-bre ... ll-itself/

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

Yeah, FM in Europe is nothing new. The bottle of Matador 2.0 that I bought at the LCBO like three years ago had contact information for the Spanish importing agency printed on the label. It's certainly not a stretch to think that some of their stuff is shipped to Greece or Italy, too.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

In my opinion Flying Monkeys is getting lapped by the competition and have been for a while. The ltd. edition big bottles are so hit and miss that a $38 bottle of anything they do now is an absolute pass. I didn't even try the Aurora Hearts when it hit stores because when I had a bottle from the brewery I couldn't even bring myself to consider it a stout as it's labeled.

Thank goodness they released that Deep Tracks in cans... it's the best thing they've done in a long while if you ask me. But I haven't seen it around Durham in a while now.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Yeah, deep tracks is decent.....surprised me a little,honestly.

peterchiodo

Post by peterchiodo »

Blasphomet wrote:In my opinion Flying Monkeys is getting lapped by the competition and have been for a while. The ltd. edition big bottles are so hit and miss that a $38 bottle of anything they do now is an absolute pass. I didn't even try the Aurora Hearts when it hit stores because when I had a bottle from the brewery I couldn't even bring myself to consider it a stout as it's labeled.

Thank goodness they released that Deep Tracks in cans... it's the best thing they've done in a long while if you ask me. But I haven't seen it around Durham in a while now.

As per my other post:
I’d be happy to have a few of you bt-ers up to the brewery this week after work on Thursday. I'll open up a few bottles of Invictus and maybe a few others for you to enjoy. Feel free to email me if you are interested. Also, if you have any questions on the development of this brew, my brewery and/or my beers, I’d rather speak face-to-face than via posts. We can connect via peter@theflyingmonkeys.ca. We released Invictus last year in Europe at our Biercab tap-takeover.

FYI - Respectfully folks, the beer is not over-priced from a cost perspective. The costs are crazy and the waste is insane. They are what they are. I have been working on this recipe and process development since 2009. This beer was blind tasted against the highest rated RISs and faired exceptionally well. I am proud to say it is from Ontario. I released Invictus to Europe and the USA prior to Canada because Ontario bloggers/BTers are very hard on Ontario brewers--sometimes rightly and sometimes not. I figured an unbiased market was a good and fair release point (which it was). While we have fermented to 18% on our pilot system, fermenting in a 75HL vertical conical FV above 15% is quite tricky--hostile for the yeast to stay alive.....ask any brewer. This beer was not freeze distilled. The method came from a brewer from Brussels who Milos and I had beers with after brewing a IIPA collab with De Kaapse Brouwers in Rotterdam. This guy knew a another brewer who interned on the Utopias project and shared their technique. I really hope you enjoy my magnum opus brew. We are working on releasing Divinity in the next few years.

Yours in brewing,
Peter
Flying Monkeys

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

peterchiodo wrote:
Blasphomet wrote:In my opinion Flying Monkeys is getting lapped by the competition and have been for a while. The ltd. edition big bottles are so hit and miss that a $38 bottle of anything they do now is an absolute pass. I didn't even try the Aurora Hearts when it hit stores because when I had a bottle from the brewery I couldn't even bring myself to consider it a stout as it's labeled.

As per my other post:
I’d be happy to have a few of you bt-ers up to the brewery this week after work on Thursday. I'll open up a few bottles of Invictus and maybe a few others for you to enjoy. Feel free to email me if you are interested. Also, if you have any questions on the development of this brew, my brewery and/or my beers, I’d rather speak face-to-face than via posts. We can connect via peter@theflyingmonkeys.ca. We released Invictus last year in Europe at our Biercab tap-takeover.

FYI - Respectfully folks, the beer is not over-priced from a cost perspective. The costs are crazy and the waste is insane. They are what they are. I have been working on this recipe and process development since 2009. This beer was blind tasted against the highest rated RISs and faired exceptionally well. I am proud to say it is from Ontario. I released Invictus to Europe and the USA prior to Canada because Ontario bloggers/BTers are very hard on Ontario brewers--sometimes rightly and sometimes not. I figured an unbiased market was a good and fair release point (which it was). While we have fermented to 18% on our pilot system, fermenting in a 75HL vertical conical FV above 15% is quite tricky--hostile for the yeast to stay alive.....ask any brewer. This beer was not freeze distilled. The method came from a brewer from Brussels who Milos and I had beers with after brewing a IIPA collab with De Kaapse Brouwers in Rotterdam. This guy knew a another brewer who interned on the Utopias project and shared their technique. I really hope you enjoy my magnum opus brew. We are working on releasing Divinity in the next few years.

Yours in brewing,
Peter
Flying Monkeys
i assume it's a low to no sparge method?

and interesting as to what you say about not releasing in Ontario. i see it working both ways. some breweries get a pass regardless of what they put out (Beau's, for example). but, just for your information, i'm one of the people who'd be hard on your brewery, and i think that my opinion was fair. as a poster posted above, FM was lapped by a number of breweries. i think that perception comes from the IPAs/APAs that you'd put out, and then what one may say were the "gimmick beer" (the musician-related beer, which, regardless of their taste, does come across as a gimmick. sorry.)

i've plopped down big money for the big Struise and Bruery beer. but i understand the people who say that this beer is overpriced. there's little to no background on it flavourwise. i looked on Beeradvocate. here are the reviews:
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10796/275798/

so yeah. hard to get beer drinkers to commit that money for a beer that we know little to nothing about. just some honest feedback for you, Peter

peterchiodo

Post by peterchiodo »

atomeyes wrote:
peterchiodo wrote:

As per my other post:

Yours in brewing,
Peter
Flying Monkeys
i assume it's a low to no sparge method?

and interesting as to what you say about not releasing in Ontario. i see it working both ways. some breweries get a pass regardless of what they put out (Beau's, for example). but, just for your information, i'm one of the people who'd be hard on your brewery, and i think that my opinion was fair. as a poster posted above, FM was lapped by a number of breweries. i think that perception comes from the IPAs/APAs that you'd put out, and then what one may say were the "gimmick beer" (the musician-related beer, which, regardless of their taste, does come across as a gimmick. sorry.)

i've plopped down big money for the big Struise and Bruery beer. but i understand the people who say that this beer is overpriced. there's little to no background on it flavourwise. i looked on Beeradvocate. here are the reviews:
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10796/275798/

so yeah. hard to get beer drinkers to commit that money for a beer that we know little to nothing about. just some honest feedback for you, Peter
I appreciate your honest feedback and I'm certainly not here to criticize it. With our growth over the years, we have outgrown some of our original followers. Our operating principals and brewing ideology have never wavered. Our small village of 60 are non-judgmental. We support artistic expression and love collaborating with other breweries and people/bands we like (wouldn’t you?). We re-invest every penny back into the business buying better equipment and creating more jobs. We truly enjoy what we do. We work hard to grow and support the brethren of craft beer in Ontario, helping nanos, startups and working on special projects like getting beer into grocery stores.

My generosity still extends to you if you would like to come up on Thursday evening to sample some Invictus with me. I’d be more than happy to discuss sparging, our brewing methodology, and your views on IPAs face-to-face.

Yours in brewing,
Peter

Craft beer is 99% asshole free, are you the one?

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

peterchiodo wrote: My generosity still extends to you if you would like to come up on Thursday evening to sample some Invictus with me. I’d be more than happy to discuss sparging, our brewing methodology, and your views on IPAs face-to-face.

Yours in brewing,
Peter

Craft beer is 99% asshole free, are you the one?
i am probably the 1%. lol.
your offer's great. i work 12 hour days on thursdays. 6-6. driving up to Barrie in rush hour isn't feasible. but thank you.