Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I will be pleasantly surprised if these actually go on sale that Friday AM.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

sprague11 wrote:I will be pleasantly surprised if these actually go on sale that Friday AM.
I just heard that these failed lab testing and are being sent back to the States. The vanilla levels exceed Ontario liquor limits by .005 ppm

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

The price is great.. they were $27.99 in Chicago last year, so pretty much on par............ see you there.

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

BakaGaijin wrote:
sprague11 wrote:I will be pleasantly surprised if these actually go on sale that Friday AM.
I just heard that these failed lab testing and are being sent back to the States. The vanilla levels exceed Ontario liquor limits by .005 ppm
Lol. I doubt the government could tell AB Inbev anything except "yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir". But everyone feel free to listen to BakaGaijin, don't show up on Black Friday, the Vanilla Rye won't be there...

Does anybody know the format? Are they sold in bombers or 4-packs?

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

PeenSteen wrote:
Care to elaborate on your well thought out post that clearly contributes meaningfully to this discussion?

Are you implying that the bottle count is low? Or the price is too high? I mean you can always just walk in to any bottle shop and pick one up off the shelf if that suits you better I suppose.
please Josh Rubin do not write a story on Black Friday...

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

AugustusRex wrote:
BakaGaijin wrote:
Lol. I doubt the government could tell AB Inbev anything except "yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir". But everyone feel free to listen to BakaGaijin, don't show up on Black Friday, the Vanilla Rye won't be there...

Does anybody know the format? Are they sold in bombers or 4-packs?
Bombers.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Somebody cover my bail money and I'll take care of Josh Rubin tonight.

so what time are we all lining up for this? :D
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

ckoop

Post by ckoop »

Well, if bellwoods releases Boyd that too, I think I'll take the day off work and likely skip bcbs hunting in buffalo.

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

This would be released at 10 am when Summerhill opens right?
GTA Brews - Toronto's Homebrew Club - http://www.gtabrews.ca/

Eric's Brewing Blog - Advanced Homebrewing for the Intermediate Brewer - http://www.ericbrews.com/

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

According to Goose Island's website, the Vanilla Rye has 35 IBU and uses only Columbus, which is a concentrated hop. Doesn't sound like a lot of hop. Are they going for something really sweet? Doesn't sound like a flavour profile I would usually go for, but I will make an exception.

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

AugustusRex wrote:According to Goose Island's website, the Vanilla Rye has 35 IBU and uses only Columbus, which is a concentrated hop. Doesn't sound like a lot of hop. Are they going for something really sweet? Doesn't sound like a flavour profile I would usually go for, but I will make an exception.
You are correct, bourbon county brand stout in general is a very sweet imperial stout wit the focus placed heavily on bourbon, vanilla, and chocolate flavors. The Vanilla Rye variant is going to be very heavy on sweet vanilla flavour with a bit of spice from the rye barrels according to what I've read. If you're not a fan of sweet stouts then you might find yourself disappointed.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Anyone know anything about a new Black Oak beer in the Epiphany series? I enjoyed those brews!

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

ChrisK wrote:
AugustusRex wrote:According to Goose Island's website, the Vanilla Rye has 35 IBU and uses only Columbus, which is a concentrated hop. Doesn't sound like a lot of hop. Are they going for something really sweet? Doesn't sound like a flavour profile I would usually go for, but I will make an exception.
You are correct, bourbon county brand stout in general is a very sweet imperial stout wit the focus placed heavily on bourbon, vanilla, and chocolate flavors. The Vanilla Rye variant is going to be very heavy on sweet vanilla flavour with a bit of spice from the rye barrels according to what I've read. If you're not a fan of sweet stouts then you might find yourself disappointed.
I'm certainly no tasting expert, but I drank a pretty good amount of this a few months ago at some GI events in DC and it is a big vanilla bomb, in the best way possible!! Definitely very sweet. It hit the mark for me, for sure.

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

ercousin wrote:This would be released at 10 am when Summerhill opens right?
Good luck with that.

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

Blasphomet wrote:Anyone know anything about a new Black Oak beer in the Epiphany series? I enjoyed those brews!
I heard talk of Epiphany no.3 a few months ago. I'll be there tomorrow, maybe I can give you an update. :D