Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

PeenSteen wrote: Bons Voeux is coming in 375ml bottles for the holidays.
Nice! I picked up one of the magnums a year and a half ago out of curiosity, but it's been sitting in my cellar all this time. You need the right type of event and company to commit to cracking 1.5L of abbey tripel. Maybe I'll hold off until the new ones arrive and do a little vertical comparison.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

BakaGaijin wrote:
mojo wrote:
BakaGaijin wrote: Actually, dude admitted that they need to do a better job of educating the average beer drinking and find ways to get them to try things like Saison Dupont. Not sure what they do. Fill Coors Light cans with Belgian Saison liquid?!?
They could post a label with the BA/RB 100 digit rating much like they do with the wines. It'd draw attention to a "world class" level beer with a high number attached to it. People will be curious and would consider buying a $5-8 bottle of a 99 rated beer.
I like this idea.
as an aside...
a week ago, i was in an LCBO and one of the guys in vintages was talking with me. long story short: the LCBO is firmly focused in increasing the customer experience at store level. they've made some new hires and are trying to roll it out across the province. natch, there's lots of (lazy) staff pushback.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Provost Drunk wrote:
Nice! I picked up one of the magnums a year and a half ago out of curiosity, but it's been sitting in my cellar all this time. You need the right type of event and company to commit to cracking 1.5L of abbey tripel. Maybe I'll hold off until the new ones arrive and do a little vertical comparison.
Love this. Great to see it coming here - might even displace Orval as my Christmas day beer. I urge you to find an excuse to crack that magnum!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

BakaGaijin wrote:Belgian - I really think online sales will be a turning point. .... You place 20 cases of each online and they will sellout in a week.
Right. It really does connect the buyer directly with the supply, instead of sending 20 cases of something exotic to a store in Collingwood!

The BA/RB scores might sometimes be effective, but here's the thing - look at stores as they are now, those tiny shelf-tags - it's the complete ABSENCE of nearly all P-O-S information that makes me think they avoid all effort to educate or encourage the consumer. So that's a big change, and can you imagine lots of little information cards for them to keep track of?
But without that, the customers have to google it on the spot to get honest information and I don't think we should have to do all the work.
(Vintages can be almost as annoying, it seems very controlling of the monopoly that they withhold some basic educational information or give a 'Vintages Panel' review in lieu of third-party recommendations.)

Online ordering almost assumes attracting people who already know their stuff, the product sells itself. Maybe the popularity of some online products (and the media's sometimes encouraging reviews) will spill over into introducing some of these products into stores.
In Beerum Veritas

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

midlife crisis wrote:
Provost Drunk wrote:
Love this. Great to see it coming here - might even displace Orval as my Christmas day beer. I urge you to find an excuse to crack that magnum!

I picked up two of the magnums when they were here. One Cracked one for Xmas dinner with the family, it was the perfect amount for the number of people drinking it, also went over well even with a couple of bud light lime drinkers. Now that the smaller format is coming I'll need to find an excuse to pop that second magnum

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bons Voeux 1500ml was a steal for $25 considering they probably hand-bottle them. I look forward to my 2014 magnum.
In Beerum Veritas

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Belgian wrote:Bons Voeux 1500ml was a steal for $25 considering they probably hand-bottle them. I look forward to my 2014 magnum.
Magnums are great fun....I've got a few including Tripel Karmeliet, a favourite of mine, and plan to have a nice celebration this winter.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Belgian wrote:Bons Voeux 1500ml was a steal for $25 considering they probably hand-bottle them. I look forward to my 2014 magnum.
Agreed. Terrific beer. That's the one beer I was kinda hoping would come back in that format.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

I've been serving them at every Thanksgiving and Christmas, but I'm down to only one left... *tear*

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

Ten Fidy confirmed for December. :D

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Who is oskar blues ontario agent?

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

spinrsx wrote:Who is oskar blues ontario agent?
No idea. Could be LCBO dealing with them directly?!?

Confirmed by Chris Robertson.

Mentioned they'll be dealing with more breweries that open up East Coast facilities.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Westmalle Dubbel
Twice As Mad Tom (tall can)
Finest Kind (tall can)
Goose Island Rambler IPA
Collective Arts Sour Pumpkin Saison
Collective Arts Wet Hopped Wheat Ale
Trooper Porter
Charlie Wells Dry Hopped Lager
Royal City Autumn Ale
Nickel Brook Wet Hopped Pale Ale (tall can)
Beau's St. Luke's Verse
Big Rig Midnight Kissed My Cow Stout
Boulevard BBQ
Nogne Rye Porter
Schneider Tap X Marie's Rendezvous
Red Racer Pumpkin Ale
Parallel 49 Pumpkin Ale
Propeller IPA (tall can)

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Boulevard BBQ, sweet! Wonder what the price tag on this will be.

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

BakaGaijin wrote:
Belgian wrote:
BakaGaijin wrote:Saison Dupont coming back as well....but in the smaller bottle format. They were disappointed with sales during the last release in the 750ml format. It did not do well.
Because 'they' are clearly experts at marketing these beers and understand who they are selling it to...

All humor aside, this is a case-buy beer so if they do sell 750mls online, I'd buy it. I buy Dupont by the case anyway. It's a fine cellar grab item.
Actually, dude admitted that they need to do a better job of educating the average beer drinking and find ways to get them to try things like Saison Dupont. Not sure what they do. Fill Coors Light cans with Belgian Saison liquid?!?
You're joking but kind of on the right track as sampling it for customers in the store would go a long way. They already do it with the more accessible beers like Keith's or Mill St, though I wouldn't presume to know how much choice each LCBO store exercises regarding what they sample in-store.