Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

midlife crisis wrote:Apparently the Centre of the Universe has shifted slightly from Yonge & Summerhill to 600 King St. West:

http://www.canadianbeernews.com/2017/11 ... o-toronto/
Excellent! Really close by now! 8)

Has there been any announcement on purchase restrictions? Will probably buy 3-4 bottles.
lister

Charchuk

Post by Charchuk »

I was really interested in this until I found out they wanted $25 a bottle. Especially considering BOYD is coming this weekend and CBS will be coming soon after - at much better prices.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Charchuk wrote:I was really interested in this until I found out they wanted $25 a bottle. Especially considering BOYD is coming this weekend and CBS will be coming soon after - at much better prices.
Fair enough. At least it's in a smaller container this year though. As I mentioned above, the last time it was here I'm sure it was $35 (for either 650 or 750 ml., I forget which).

Charchuk

Post by Charchuk »

midlife crisis wrote:
Charchuk wrote:I was really interested in this until I found out they wanted $25 a bottle. Especially considering BOYD is coming this weekend and CBS will be coming soon after - at much better prices.
Fair enough. At least it's in a smaller container this year though. As I mentioned above, the last time it was here I'm sure it was $35 (for either 650 or 750 ml., I forget which).
The last time it was here it was the Vanilla Rye variant in 650ml bombers. That's one of the most sought after variants they've ever released. So it was easier to justify the price. And the price lined up with what they charged in the US for those bottles. Not so much here. All that being said, it's still cool that it's getting brought in.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

OK - good to know. What variant are we getting this year?

Charchuk

Post by Charchuk »

midlife crisis wrote:OK - good to know. What variant are we getting this year?
No variant this year. Just the regular BCBS.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Cameron’s Brewing has announced that an award-winning beer originally released in the spring is now back for a holiday release at the LCBO.

Where The Buffalo Roam (13% abv) is a barley wine that was named the World’s Best Pale Beer in the 2017 edition of the World Beer Awards.

http://www.canadianbeernews.com/2017/11 ... o-release/

distr0

Post by distr0 »

spinrsx wrote:Cameron’s Brewing has announced that an award-winning beer originally released in the spring is now back for a holiday release at the LCBO.

Where The Buffalo Roam (13% abv) is a barley wine that was named the World’s Best Pale Beer in the 2017 edition of the World Beer Awards.

Cool. Cameron's was making some solid stuff, then they just sorta dropped off the radar.

Don't think i'd classify any barleywine i've ever had as a 'pale beer' though.. seems strange

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

distr0 wrote:
spinrsx wrote:Cameron’s Brewing has announced that an award-winning beer originally released in the spring is now back for a holiday release at the LCBO.

Cool. Cameron's was making some solid stuff, then they just sorta dropped off the radar.

Don't think i'd classify any barleywine i've ever had as a 'pale beer' though.. seems strange
Strange indeed, photos of it show a very dark chestnut brown colour. I have seen the odd lighter barley wine though, I recall Brooklyn's Monster Ale was more of an orange-tinted amber, similar to some American IPAs heavy on the crystal malts.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

spinrsx wrote:Where The Buffalo Roam (13% abv) is a barley wine that was named the World’s Best Pale Beer in the 2017 edition of the World Beer Awards.
Anyone tried the Barley Wine?

I found Cameron's last limited release ( Foeder-Aged Boreal Inspired Wild Ale) a little underwhelming.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

beerstodiscover wrote:
spinrsx wrote:Where The Buffalo Roam (13% abv) is a barley wine that was named the World’s Best Pale Beer in the 2017 edition of the World Beer Awards.

I found Cameron's last limited release ( Foeder-Aged Boreal Inspired Wild Ale) a little underwhelming.
I did a side by side with Solstice d'hiver bourbon and Where the Buffalo Roam destroyed it. That was the first batch of WTBR though. Early Bird Breakfast was even better than WTBR. Legit beers and not pale ales.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

this BW is soooooo good. highly recommend.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

BakaGaijin wrote:
beerstodiscover wrote:

I did a side by side with Solstice d'hiver bourbon and Where the Buffalo Roam destroyed it. That was the first batch of WTBR though. Early Bird Breakfast was even better than WTBR. Legit beers and not pale ales.
cosigned 1000%

shame early big breakfast isn't coming back too

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

I picked up a few of the Cameron's Where The Buffalo Roam based on the comments here. $6.95 for 473 ml of 13% barrel-aged barley wine sounds too good to be true. Hopefully lives up to the hype. Interesting packaging, a tall can inside a box.

nickw

Post by nickw »

I presume that there's still going to be a wider rollout of the Founders Breakfast Stout and Backwoods Bastard in Toronto stores?