Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

And in a year you can buy aged versions for $5 more!
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

Does anybody know if Westmalle Tripel will be coming to the LCBO? It has been listed now for about 6 months.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

skootles wrote:Muskoka's got their Summerweiss and a new beer series coming out.

http://www.canadianbeernews.com/2015/05 ... le-series/
I sorta think Muskoka missed their chance to develop into Ontario's Sierra Nevada, and now SN and Goose are actually here.

They had a promising start six or so years ago when the Weisse was a great, competitive canned product, and the other cans were OK but had potential. I'm not sure they are building on their strengths, and instead are trying to tell us how impressed we are with large bottles and high prices (is that what they call marketing in Ontario nowadays?) They were once on my radar but now I don't think really about them. Summerweiss vintage bottled? Still care?

Amazed they will let a good opportunity slip away, and embrace branding silliness.
In Beerum Veritas

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Muskoka is putting their summer weiss in cans again this year

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Belgian wrote:
skootles wrote:Muskoka's got their Summerweiss and a new beer series coming out.

I sorta think Muskoka missed their chance to develop into Ontario's Sierra Nevada, and now SN and Goose are actually here.

They had a promising start six or so years ago when the Weisse was a great, competitive canned product, and the other cans were OK but had potential. I'm not sure they are building on their strengths, and instead are trying to tell us how impressed we are with large bottles and high prices (is that what they call marketing in Ontario nowadays?) They were once on my radar but now I don't think really about them. Summerweiss vintage bottled? Still care?

Amazed they will let a good opportunity slip away, and embrace branding silliness.

100% agree with this. Maybe they'll back track a little bit. That Saison needs to be no more than 10 bucks. Perhaps $11. It will probably be $13.95 though. Sucks.

mahcinesquad

Post by mahcinesquad »

Blasphomet wrote:
Belgian wrote:

100% agree with this. Maybe they'll back track a little bit. That Saison needs to be no more than 10 bucks. Perhaps $11. It will probably be $13.95 though. Sucks.
At $10 I'd still balk at it.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I missed mentioning Muskoka Mad Tom. I really do love that beer… no smoke and mirrors, just a good product.
In Beerum Veritas

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

Muskoka made a good move by canning so many of it's products IMO; it's a no-brainer for their cottage brewery image and they are good offerings. Their good, but not exceptional, beers in 750 mL bottles at exceptional prices, can go sit on the nice warm LCBO shelves for all I care.

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

ErkLR wrote:Muskoka made a good move by canning so many of it's products IMO; it's a no-brainer for their cottage brewery image and they are good offerings. Their good, but not exceptional, beers in 750 mL bottles at exceptional prices, can go sit on the nice warm LCBO shelves for all I care.
Agreed on all accounts. I like most of their year-round offerings just fine (the two Mad Tom beers and their Cream Ale remain camping staples for me), but their seasonals, despite being of fair to good quality, come in dumb formats and are not worth the price tag.

On the plus side, they seem to have abandoned the 750 mL format for their Summerweiss, which remains a fairly good hefe IMO. Remember in 2012 when they bundled it as a 2-pack of 750 mL bottles? That was one of the goofiest formats I've ever seen.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Part of the format thing and possibly the pricing thing has to do with the LCBOs shelving policies. It's way easier to get an overpriced 750mL bottle on the shelves than it is cans or an affordable 6-pack. Or, God forbid, single 355s.

The LCBO have also been found guilty in the past of forcing suppliers to manipulate prices to create supply in various segments of the market. I wouldn't at all be surprised to find out that they looked at their sales a couple years back and figured there was an untapped market for premium Ontario beers, so they told reliable suppliers like Lake of Bays and Muskoka to go fill that void, whether they had worthy product or not. I think a lot of the strange things Ontario brewers do with regards to packaging and pricing have to do with access to LCBO shelves.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

Belgian wrote:

Same things can be said of Flying Monkeys...oh the unfulfilled potential destroyed due to half baked 750ml "unique" brews at exorbitant prices. I mean, these breweries know much more about economics of this business than we do, but the outstanding Quebec breweries seem to satisfy their bottom line and consumers' tastes and demands just fine.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Flying Monkeys-Belle Epoque
Flying Monkeys-Acadian Groove
Innis & Gunn-White Oak Wheat Beer
Philips-Blue Buck
Collective Arts-State Of Mind Session IPA
Amager-Sundby Stout
Sweetgrass-Golden Ale
Rogue-Voodoo Donut Lemon Cruler Ale
Rogue-Sriracha Stout
Nickel Brook-Summer Mix Pack 4-pk Can
Brimstone Brewing-Enlightenment Ale
Liberty Village-504 Pale Ale
Session Gose 2015
Brasserie Les 2 Frères-Hickson IPA
Stone-IPA
Stone-Arrogant Bastard
Stone-Cali-Belgique IPA

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

!@#!%$#!%$

PeenSteen wrote:Stone-IPA
Stone-Arrogant Bastard
Stone-Cali-Belgique IPA

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

lots of stuff to try
Reliable Beer Critic

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Haven't purchased Summerweiss in years sadly but just brought home some Sierra Nevada Pala Ale. I went through a Goose IPA 12-pack very quickly (like s##t through a proverbial Goose, you might say) so for half a buck more I will see how the SN fares as a "low-commitment relationship…"

Is anybody putting together a Rogue Voodoo Donut vertical of sorts, for a shared tasting because I could imagine the event (and the resultant hangover) to be unforgettable. I've yet to try one of these freakish creations. Are they even sorta good?
In Beerum Veritas