Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

TenFiddy?
here?
in Ontario?

(not surprised. just happy)

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

Any word on what Founders stuff we'd see?
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Modern times would be fantastic, I love their stuff. Also, Ten Fidy at the lcbo would be great. (or any other American RIS for that matter)

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Old Rasputin is coming, I haven't seen anything that would suggest Ten Fidy coming (at least this year on shelves, online maybe?) would be nice though

As far as Founders goes, someone has been working on bringing them back since they left. I think if anything we may see some kegs before we see bottles here.

Bons Voeux is coming in 375ml bottles for the holidays.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

PeenSteen wrote:Old Rasputin is coming, I haven't seen anything that would suggest Ten Fidy coming (at least this year on shelves, online maybe?) would be nice though

As far as Founders goes, someone has been working on bringing them back since they left. I think if anything we may see some kegs before we see bottles here.

Bons Voeux is coming in 375ml bottles for the holidays.
The Director of Spirits and Beer told me Ten Fidy was ordered in a phone conversation we had yesterday. Maybe's it'll be online....I don't know. That's what he said.

portwood

Post by portwood »

BakaGaijin wrote: Saison Dupont coming back as well....but in the smaller bottle format. They were disappointed with sales during the last release in the 750ml format. It did not do well.
As one that dislikes large bottle sizes, I welcome the smaller bottles/cans!
I would rather pay a small premium for two 355ml bottles over one 750ml that I won't drink in one day.
@markhamwhisky

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Old rasputin will be a nice consolation if ten fidy never arrives.

skaghevn

Post by skaghevn »

PeenSteen wrote:Old Rasputin is coming
It's officially Christmas in my book then. :D

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

BakaGaijin wrote:Saison Dupont coming back as well....but in the smaller bottle format. They were disappointed with sales during the last release in the 750ml format. It did not do well.
Because 'they' are clearly experts at marketing these beers and understand who they are selling it to...

All humor aside, this is a case-buy beer so if they do sell 750mls online, I'd buy it. I buy Dupont by the case anyway. It's a fine cellar grab item.
In Beerum Veritas

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

Belgian wrote:
BakaGaijin wrote:Saison Dupont coming back as well....but in the smaller bottle format. They were disappointed with sales during the last release in the 750ml format. It did not do well.
Because 'they' are clearly experts at marketing these beers and understand who they are selling it to...

All humor aside, this is a case-buy beer so if they do sell 750mls online, I'd buy it. I buy Dupont by the case anyway. It's a fine cellar grab item.
Actually, dude admitted that they need to do a better job of educating the average beer drinking and find ways to get them to try things like Saison Dupont. Not sure what they do. Fill Coors Light cans with Belgian Saison liquid?!?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

BakaGaijin wrote:Actually, dude admitted that they need to do a better job of educating the average beer drinking and find ways to get them to try things like Saison Dupont. Not sure what they do. Fill Coors Light cans with Belgian Saison liquid?!?
They could start by distributing 'world class' standard-bearers like Dupont in a more consistent way, and offer promotional pricing to encourage markets that are on the cusp of acceptance.
I don't know ANYONE who doesn't think a $7-8 dollar beer tastes better at one dollar off, and let's be totally frank about it, the LCBO just makes up target prices to begin with anyway, so what's the big deal if they sell a few hundred cases at a promotional discount.

They could offer point-of-sale promo information (a blurb on a slip of paper, indie reviews, history, food and serving suggestions to take home.) LCBO are obstinately terrible at telling consumers exactly what they are buying, while they great at telling you what THEY want you to think of it.

But the scattershot distribution of SD and poor support of existing buyers (do they even keep track where it sells, and respond?) ensures the LC declares a lot of products a 'commercial failure' when their own retail model (such as it were) is failing to secure a viable niche for the same product that sells consistently in other countries when correctly placed.

I mean HOW is SD not still supported at Summerhill and Cooper St - at the very least? It defies comprehension.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

BakaGaijin wrote:Saison Dupont coming back as well....but in the smaller bottle format.
There is small and mini, the 330 ml would be preferred and the 250 ml is like you 'might as well pour in two at a time...'
In Beerum Veritas

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

Belgian - I really think online sales will be a turning point. Products like Saison Dupont will benefit from it.

I was talking to the agent for Boon a few weeks ago trying to place a private order for some Mariage Parfait and Boon Framboise and Kreik. She said she had to wait to place the order because my order didn't meet the minimum amount.

For fucks sakes. You place 20 cases of each online and they will sellout in a week.

mojo

Post by mojo »

BakaGaijin wrote: Actually, dude admitted that they need to do a better job of educating the average beer drinking and find ways to get them to try things like Saison Dupont. Not sure what they do. Fill Coors Light cans with Belgian Saison liquid?!?
They could post a label with the BA/RB 100 digit rating much like they do with the wines. It'd draw attention to a "world class" level beer with a high number attached to it. People will be curious and would consider buying a $5-8 bottle of a 99 rated beer.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

mojo wrote:
BakaGaijin wrote: Actually, dude admitted that they need to do a better job of educating the average beer drinking and find ways to get them to try things like Saison Dupont. Not sure what they do. Fill Coors Light cans with Belgian Saison liquid?!?
They could post a label with the BA/RB 100 digit rating much like they do with the wines. It'd draw attention to a "world class" level beer with a high number attached to it. People will be curious and would consider buying a $5-8 bottle of a 99 rated beer.
I like this idea.