Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beer boutique

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

xocoatl

Post by xocoatl »

What could possibly shift things for these beer boutique stores would be having draft taps and doing growler fills. Imagine if you could go into one of these stores and select from a dozen or so seasonals, one offs, and special imports.

Maybe if enough people write to them, they will consider it.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I think we're more likely to see pigs fly sadly. Unless you really want a growler of Blue.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Tonight there is an opening event at the BB, not sure what's going to happen. Will check it out and report back.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I think a better in the system we have is for the LCBO to open a location similar to this one, in a real boutique fashion. Specialty beers and interesting releases a la vintages style.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Fess up - which one of you is this? :lol:
kevin / June 13, 2011 at 1:33 PM WE WANT ST. PAULI GIRL!!! BRING US THAT DELICIOUS GERMAN LAGER!

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

I was pleasantly surprised by the number of negative comments on the BlogTO regarding this. Unless of course BlogTO caters to people of taste then its not so surprising.

Steve Beaumont

Post by Steve Beaumont »

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

And here's my take - slightly longer than Steve's, but drawing pretty much the same conclusion:

http://www.beerboozebites.com/2011/06/1 ... -boutique/

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

The proof will be in the putting as they say. I'd be very curious to compare the sales numbers at this store vs. other stores in a few months.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I may be losing it but Greg's article photos make me kind of hopeful - just maybe all the visible shelf space won't later be jammed with Blue & pseudo-micros like Rickard's. Who's making sure this doesn't happen?

Good visibility may start the ball rolling for good Micros.
In Beerum Veritas

Grey

Post by Grey »

Belgian wrote:I may be losing it but Greg's article photos make me kind of hopeful - just maybe all the visible shelf space won't later be jammed with Blue & pseudo-micros like Rickard's. Who's making sure this doesn't happen?

Good visibility may start the ball rolling for good Micros.
I visited the boutique on Tuesday and found out it really is essentially TBS but with a better retail experience for the customer.

I got talking to someone there (possibly the manager) about the beer boutique and initially he tried to make it sound as if this is a different store. Sure, the retail experience is far nicer than any TBS I have been in, but as soon as I asked about offering beers that aren't currently available at TBS, I found out it is no different than TBS for product availability. The same rule applies; a brewer must pay the "membership fee" and the beer can be listed in the 400+ stores.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Here's my take on it. As per usual, it's approximately forty three times longer than it needs to be. Fortunately for you, you don't need to read it since there's audio.

http://saintjohnswort.ca/2011/06/14/the-beer-boutique/
saintjohnswort.ca

Dokta Owange

Post by Dokta Owange »

If you curve the aisles, add some bricks & dim the lights and call it a "boutique", people might lured into thinking they are buying exceptional products.

Based on these pictures, it looks like the same old Blue + Corona, Heineken, etc.

Gotta love that marketing!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

saints_gambit wrote:Here's my take on it. As per usual, it's approximately forty three times longer than it needs to be. Fortunately for you, you don't need to read it since there's audio.

http://saintjohnswort.ca/2011/06/14/the-beer-boutique/
I never read that slagheap of blather. Who writes that thing anyway??? And anyway most of us can read ons the internets.
:lol:

Only kidding man. Youse the Jord. As per alwaze.
In Beerum Veritas