Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beer boutique

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Spab

Post by Spab »

JerCraigs wrote:That said - how come Quebec gets away with allowing convenience stores to carry Quebec products? Did that pre-date NAFTA?
Quebec is grandfathered in relation to wine in "grocery stores" by the Canada-US FTA (the provision right after private wine stores in Ontario and BC) - paragraph 3 of Article 804:
Nothing in this Agreement shall prohibit the Province of Quebec from requiring that any wine sold in grocery stores in Quebec be bottled in Quebec, provided that alternative outlets are provided in Quebec for the sale of wine of the United States of America, whether or not such wine is bottled in Quebec.

Steve Beaumont

Post by Steve Beaumont »

Imported and out-of-province beers have been sold at depaneurs for years in Quebec. It was part of the brokered deal after the FTA challenge, same as when the BeerStore had to change policies. Any brewery selling in corner stores, however, must maintain an office in the province, which not a lot can be bothered with.

It's all about equality of access, which is why an OCB store would never work. Any retail has to comply with NAFTA regulations allowing for equal apparent access, even if things like user fees (TBS) and product panels (LCBO) make the access largely theoretical.

zane9

Post by zane9 »

Steve, are these nightmarish NAFTA provisions particular to alcohol only? How, for example, does Roots manage to operate stores which sell only its branded products? How does Roots withstand a NAFTA challenge in which a competing brand could argue it has no access to Roots stores?

On the matter of apparent equal access, nothing would prevent an OCB retail operation offering such access. The likelihood of access uptake is unknown. You might see the micro divisions of the macro brewers seeking access for Granville Island and Creemore, but those products are already widely available now in the relevant markets.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

zane9 wrote:Steve, are these nightmarish NAFTA provisions particular to alcohol only? How, for example, does Roots manage to operate stores which sell only its branded products? How does Roots withstand a NAFTA challenge in which a competing brand could argue it has no access to Roots stores?

On the matter of apparent equal access, nothing would prevent an OCB retail operation offering such access. The likelihood of access uptake is unknown. You might see the micro divisions of the macro brewers seeking access for Granville Island and Creemore, but those products are already widely available now in the relevant markets.
Roots isn't part of a government mandated clothing duopoly that presents a potential barrier to free trade.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Google NAFTA Chapter 11 for some interesting cases on how this has worked out. I thought it was mostly Canada getting sued (and mostly by environmentally sketchy US businesses) but apparently Canadian companies have also sued the US.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Belgian wrote:
saints_gambit wrote:Here's my take on it. As per usual, it's approximately forty three times longer than it needs to be. Fortunately for you, you don't need to read it since there's audio.

http://saintjohnswort.ca/2011/06/14/the-beer-boutique/
Who writes that thing anyway???

:wink:
In Beerum Veritas

IPA_Lover

Post by IPA_Lover »

Was in the "Boutique" last night. Nice to look at but I wouldn't wanna marry it. As everyone else has mentioned, it looks like the same old tired BS stock layed out in a new way.

I did see some IPA from Sasketchewan in there (forget the name) with a train on the box and saying it carried "a heavy haul of hops".

Saw nothing that would make me stop going to the LCBO for my craft beer.
^^^Hop-head ^^^

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

IPA_Lover wrote:Was in the "Boutique" last night. Nice to look at but I wouldn't wanna marry it. As everyone else has mentioned, it looks like the same old tired BS stock layed out in a new way.

I did see some IPA from Sasketchewan in there (forget the name) with a train on the box and saying it carried "a heavy haul of hops".

Saw nothing that would make me stop going to the LCBO for my craft beer.
That would be the Paddock Wood, good stuff as long as its fresh.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Regarding the NAFTA stuff, there's some more info and commentary in this thread: http://www.bartowel.com/board/viewtopic ... 00eab75efb

I'm sure just about anything can be done if the right people would put their minds to it. Whether there's the political will is another story....