Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beer boutique

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

jaymack

Beer boutique

Post by jaymack »

Sorry, I'm sure it's been posted somewhere on here already but...

http://torontoist.com/2011/04/the_beer_ ... illage.php

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

"The store's products will remain the same."

That saves me a trip to Liberty Village to check it out.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Gedge wrote:"The store's products will remain the same."
Doesn't anybody remember laughter?
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

phirleh wrote:Doesn't anybody remember laughter?
Doesn't anyone remember Laker?

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Gedge wrote: "The store's products will remain the same."

That saves me a trip to Liberty Village to check it out.
+ 1

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

Deal killer:

"But what won't change at The Beer Boutique is the selection of beers available. Beer Store president Ted Moroz says the process by which brewers sell beer through The Beer Boutique will remain the same as at existing locations, meaning selection at the new store will be about on par with The Beer Store's larger current locations."

Not exactly lying but talk about a spin doctor:

"Moroz rejects the criticisms that the listing fees limit choice. "We actually have import and craft brews in all of our stores," he says. "I think one of the things that gets missed is that because our stores don’t have that self-serve shopping experience, a lot of people don’t realize that those products are actually there, they’re in the store." He says The Beer Boutique will fix this problem by better featuring The Beer Store’s selection of craft and imported beers."

But there is a glimmer of hope. Perhaps this new more public format will put more pressure on BS to actually improve their bs inventory.

xocoatl

Post by xocoatl »

And its not just the public that doesn't know the craft brews are there. I went into my local beer store a few weeks back after seeing it listed as carrying the Paddock Wood 606 IPA. Didn't see any on the 'wall of beer' while waiting in line, asked the guy at cash if they had it, and he says never heard of it. Tries to find it on computer, says doesn't see anything. Asks the store manager beside him, he says never heard of it. After another minute or so of searching, the manager says 'isn't that whats on the skid in the back corner?' and employee goes back and comes back with a 6-pack for me.

And Paddock Wood is paying that store a listing fee to carry their product. Even knowing the product was supposed to be there, I almost left without it.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

xocoatl wrote:And its not just the public that doesn't know the craft brews are there. I went into my local beer store a few weeks back after seeing it listed as carrying the Paddock Wood 606 IPA. Didn't see any on the 'wall of beer' while waiting in line, asked the guy at cash if they had it, and he says never heard of it. Tries to find it on computer, says doesn't see anything. Asks the store manager beside him, he says never heard of it. After another minute or so of searching, the manager says 'isn't that whats on the skid in the back corner?' and employee goes back and comes back with a 6-pack for me.

And Paddock Wood is paying that store a listing fee to carry their product. Even knowing the product was supposed to be there, I almost left without it.
You should forward that information to Paddock Wood.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

DragonOfBlood wrote:
xocoatl wrote:And its not just the public that doesn't know the craft brews are there. I went into my local beer store a few weeks back after seeing it listed as carrying the Paddock Wood 606 IPA. Didn't see any on the 'wall of beer' while waiting in line, asked the guy at cash if they had it, and he says never heard of it. Tries to find it on computer, says doesn't see anything. Asks the store manager beside him, he says never heard of it. After another minute or so of searching, the manager says 'isn't that whats on the skid in the back corner?' and employee goes back and comes back with a 6-pack for me.

And North American Craft who is repping this beer in Ontario
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

xocoatl

Post by xocoatl »

I already sent that off to North American Craft the night it happened. But really, what can they do. The beer store can pretty much dictate their terms and treat the craft brewers like crap becuase the only other option is to try to get listed at the LCBO, which seems like a long hard process.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

That is ridiculous. There is defintiely a reason why I have only visited the beer store once in the past 2 years.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

DragonOfBlood wrote:

I had a similar experience with Trois Pistoles when they first got the product. And considering that its owned by Sleeman, you'd figure they would know something about it. These people are clueless when it comes less popular beers. One logical pre-requisite of being able to work at a Beer Store or the BO should be to know something about product that you're selling. At the very minimum, what you have and what you don't have (and how to package it correctly!!!).

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Getting the Paddock Wood here has been really frustrating. I've managed to get a six of the IPA once. I've yet to find the pilsner.

TJ

Post by TJ »

A sneak peak at the mediocrity that is to come:

(Click to see a larger image.)

Streets

Post by Streets »

Thank god, I was having trouble finding the right package size of Corona at other stores.