Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

General LCBO Debate & Discussion Thread

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Streets

Post by Streets »

Did you ask him what happened to the other bottles? If there were singles on the shelf then I presume the rest of the six pack must have been stolen or broken? :lol:

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

If I ask my local LCBO to start carrying certain beers, any chance they will? Who picks what's on the shelves? The manger? Do they listen to suggestions?

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

schomberger wrote:
HONESTLY, WHAT"S WRONG WITH THE MANAGER / STAFF at YONGE and H7????
Don't tell us... call 1-800-668-5226

schomberger

Post by schomberger »

Actually I emailed my original post to the LCBO site; they replied with a form answer, basically saying that singles need to have a special label over the cap to ensure product integity. Of course, this a bunch of bureaucrap from my perspective.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Boneshaker is a pry off- not twist off cap. there is no need for a strip seal unless they have changed the requirements
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

icemachine wrote:Boneshaker is a pry off- not twist off cap.
It is? I could swear otherwise...

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

velovampire wrote:
100% pry off

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

schomberger wrote:I again suggest he can by using the right code, he refuses -- On my way out he calls out that he knows what he's talking about, cause he works there.
Or he doesn't know what he's talking about, yet he works there!

Happens all the time: staff will make stuff up on the spot just to tell the customer something, but fail to explain that it is purely a guess on their part.

Don't worry about it, some LC people are good strong customer support staff and I ignore the rest. :)
In Beerum Veritas

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

TheBeeraholic wrote:
velovampire wrote:
100% pry off
Yup, you're right. Read the initial post reversed...thought he said twist-off, not pry-off... :oops:

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Hudak weigs in:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/s ... -lcbo.html

Will be interesting to see if it actually went through if we would end up with something similar to Alberta, the US, Quebec, or the Macro's having more power in the market. (Though I'm still convinced this is more about Union Busting and Public Sector cuts than more choice for consumers).
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I hate being a negative nancy, but as I tweeted today, David Peterson promised this 27 years ago.

I've been running Bar Towel since circa 1998 as in that time (14 years, oh god) there has been no significant change in alcohol retailing in Ontario. LCBO has gotten better as they've identified new ways to make money (craft) and TBS is same as always.

I really wouldn't hold my breath that anything is going to change. Please government of Ontario, prove me wrong!

The bottom line (IMO) is that the Ontario people just don't want it bad enough.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

sprague11 wrote: (Though I'm still convinced this is more about Union Busting and Public Sector cuts than more choice for consumers).

This is just it. When asked why he'd sell off a company that pulls in 2 billion dollars, he just says he's opposed to government running businesses. He'd sacrifice it on the basis of pure ideology.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The LCBO will never budge because it is so deeply entrenched. It has gotten better for craft beer, and slowly cleaned up its act in little ways. It will always improve just enough to stay in control.

It's milking the cow at a loss rather than innovating for more profits which the LC doesn't really care about.
In Beerum Veritas

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Belgian wrote:
It's milking the cow at a loss rather than innovating for more profits which the LC doesn't really care about.
Hey Belgian,

I'm not sure how they operate at a loss when net income was 1.56 billion in 2010, and has been increasing steadily for 17 years. Unless there's something I'm not getting

http://www.lcbo.com/aboutlcbo/annualreport2011.shtml

They may do some things poorly, but making money doesn't seem to be one of them.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

Cass wrote: I really wouldn't hold my breath that anything is going to change. Please government of Ontario, prove me wrong!
That's the thing. It is easy to throw out a promise that if elected you will "allow beer in corner stores" but until someone says here is an actual plan for improving beer selling in Ontario (which just saying beer in corner stores doesn't do), then it really means nothing to me.