Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

General LCBO Debate & Discussion Thread

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

.....on a sort of related note to this single bottle, can't sell thing....does the LCBO ever allow consumers to sample products? (outside of when the official brewery/winery is there doing it)

Sure. Many of the larger stores have the "try before you buy" stand thingie (Summerhill, Avenue & Lawrence, etc). Pretty heavily wine focused though.

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

The Summerhill LCBO has a sampling bar, but I believe each sample costs some amount of money. And only certain products are available for sampling.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Yes. This is what I meant. Also avenue & Lawrence, Queens Quay, and others.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Regarding orphan bottles, I just bought a single bottle of Mackeson Stout without incident or comment from the gentleman taking the cash. Thought he had done me a favour, but when I got home and looked at the bill, it said "Mackeson Stout $2.20". So does that mean there is a code for a single of that particular beer (which comes in an open six pack)? If so, why can't there be a code for a single Green Flash? Also, for the record, I did not break a full six pack to do this, as that doesn't seem right to me somehow. But this one was already broken, so i considered it fair game. But now that I've learned single Mackesons appear to swipe, I guess I shouldn't feel badly at all!

EDIT: now notice there is a bar code on this individual bottle of Mackeson, whereas there is not, I presume, on a bottle of Green Flash. I guess that is the reason?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

andrewrg wrote:The Summerhill LCBO has a sampling bar, but I believe each sample costs some amount of money. And only certain products are available for sampling.
I overheard someone sampling a wine at Queens Quay last week. It cost her 50 cents.

---

When I was getting my Elysian they hadn't set up the computers for it yet, so it didn't get added to my bill. The cashier didn't notice, so I could have just walked out without paying if I felt like it. I actually did walk out without paying for Green Flash a couple of weeks ago for the same reason, because I didn't catch the mistake until I got home.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

andrewrg wrote:The Summerhill LCBO has a sampling bar, but I believe each sample costs some amount of money. And only certain products are available for sampling.
Still and sparkling wines, fortified wines and spirits is generally all you get. Sample is per 1/2 oz or oz if you like, and per-oz cost is set a break-points based on the product prices.

Which in some cases can seem a little rip-offy. But it can point you to a damn good wine, like this Gassier Cuvée Loubiero I stumbled on last week - absolutely crazy aroma for a fifteen dollar wine I just had to buy, so there you go.
If you miss out on the Gassier, the Val Joanis coming out this Saturday should be great value too.
In Beerum Veritas

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

midlife crisis wrote: EDIT: now notice there is a bar code on this individual bottle of Mackeson, whereas there is not, I presume, on a bottle of Green Flash. I guess that is the reason?
there are barcodes on many of the ones they won't sell individually....but they aren't in the system or scan as a 6-pack code. That was the case when I tried to grab the single Sam Adams Latitude 48.

AND....my plan to give in, buy a 6-pack, leave one at home and return the 5-pack because I didn't like it...backfired.

Without thinking I said I didn't need my receipt when I bought a sixer of the Sam Adams...so upon arriving home and drinking one I realized I now had to drink the rest....

Haha...not really a problem, I do like this one, just have more than enough beer around at the moment.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

you can exchange items at the lcbo without receipt.. I do it all the time. Haven't had a single issue.
El Pinguino wrote:
midlife crisis wrote: EDIT: now notice there is a bar code on this individual bottle of Mackeson, whereas there is not, I presume, on a bottle of Green Flash. I guess that is the reason?
there are barcodes on many of the ones they won't sell individually....but they aren't in the system or scan as a 6-pack code. That was the case when I tried to grab the single Sam Adams Latitude 48.

AND....my plan to give in, buy a 6-pack, leave one at home and return the 5-pack because I didn't like it...backfired.

Without thinking I said I didn't need my receipt when I bought a sixer of the Sam Adams...so upon arriving home and drinking one I realized I now had to drink the rest....

Haha...not really a problem, I do like this one, just have more than enough beer around at the moment.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Any new item (ex. Latitude 48, Founders, Elysian) in a 6 pack, regardless if it is open, does not have a single bottle code for the first 3 months. The only exception is if was once available became delisted and then returned to the LCBO at some point (ex. Mackeson/Royal Extra Stout).

I look forward to answering this question again in 3 days hen someone can't buy a single Immortal or something like that.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I'd never heard about that 3 month rule PeenSteen - thanks!
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

icemachine wrote:I'd never heard about that 3 month rule PeenSteen - thanks!
Sometimes its longer...Boneshaker still doesn't have one, I think it's up to the brewery/agent if they give it a single code as well.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

I bought a single of Immortal within the last week. No idea what code was used. It scanned first as a 6 pack, then the cashier did some magic and I paid. No idea what the exact amount was.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

rejtable wrote:I bought a single of Immortal within the last week. No idea what code was used. It scanned first as a 6 pack, then the cashier did some magic and I paid. No idea what the exact amount was.
Most likely as a domestic single bottle, but all that does is write off the rest of the 6 pack and if it keeps happening these products will eventually become delisted and may be tougher to get similar products or other offerings from Elysian in the future. So while it may be a win to get the single bottle you want, in reality it effects the fate of other interesting options becoming available.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

PeenSteen wrote:Most likely as a domestic single bottle, but all that does is write off the rest of the 6 pack and if it keeps happening these products will eventually become delisted and may be tougher to get similar products or other offerings from Elysian in the future. So while it may be a win to get the single bottle you want, in reality it effects the fate of other interesting options becoming available.
Well, first off I grabbed it from a pack that already had 2-3 bottles gone. I don't typically grab singles unless I see that someone else has before me. I'm a follower, not a leader.

Selling me a bottle from that pack is a curious way of writing it off.

I assume that the procedures you describe (even though they weren't actually followed in my case) are there because the inventory would be messed up once you start breaking up packs. If that's a limitation of the LCBO inventory/POS system, that's a shame.

EDIT: and for the record, I don't really care if the LCBO sells singles or not. I can live a full life either way. But it would make that full like a tiny bit easier if they had ONE policy and STUCK TO IT.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

EDIT: and for the record, I don't really care if the LCBO sells singles or not. I can live a full life either way. But it would make that full like a tiny bit easier if they had ONE policy and STUCK TO IT.
Yes, and while I now try (as personal policy) to adhere to generally classy and balanced BT postings, I say screw the LC for blaming problems like this on the consumer. There is not reason to assume people here as elsewhere on the planet won't break six packs, especially open packs, and this simple natural act of consumer behavior should not cause the whole system to explode or melt down, while putting remaining stock in limbo as 'unsellable' and causing de-listings and supplier reluctance, etc etc. That is just immature, foot-dragging, irresponsible retail. Please DEAL WITH IT LCBO. Either 'seal' those open six-packs, or charge us for the single bottles in a standard policy of pricing singles like any retail store would (and does.) You can even charge us more if you want, add on a cost premium, I really don't mind either way.
In Beerum Veritas