Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

General LCBO Debate & Discussion Thread

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

esprit wrote:We were the agents for both DFH and VICTORY and were of course saddened by their decision to withdraw from the Ontario market. Domestic demand and too many hassles dealing with Ontario (spraying each layer on a pallet with non-skid adhesive as shrink wrap was not good enough to prevent movement, penalties were imposed). Some good news on this same front, after an absence of some 11 years, SMUTTYNOSE of New Hampshire is coming back. Their ROBUST PORTER will be part of the AUTUMN release this year. We're going to piggyback orders for some of their other beers with this order which will ship in July/August. Anyone interested can visit their website (www.smuttynose.com) and let us know what might interest them.

Peter
espritagencies@sympatico.ca
That's awesome. I remember buying Smuttynose from the LCBO ages ago, it was one of the most interesting craft imports available at the time.

The S'Muttonator Doppelbock would be a good choice for autumn.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Any chance at getting some stuff from their big beer series? I'd be interested in a few of them, including the wheat wine which their website says ships next month.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

midlife crisis wrote:
atomeyes wrote:An interesting Vice on how the LCBO's monopoly was already proven to be illegal, but no one's doing anything about it.

http://m.vice.com/en_ca/read/the-lcbo-s ... ly-illegal
That is a very interesting piece, thanks. It is just one lawyer's opinion about a pretty esoteric area of law, when it comes down to it, but on the other hand he may very well be right...
Well income tax is technically not legal. It was a temporary measure and it's voluntary, albeit extremely hard to fight. Unreasonable search and seizure is a charter violation, but cops make up bullying excuses to do this all the time. Canada is f-cked in so many other ways besides the IILA and none of those things help us...
In Beerum Veritas

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

What's going on with the LCBO site. A while back Rochefort 10 disappeared even though stores still had stock. Now Cuvee Van de Keizer, La Trappe Quad and Fuller's Vintage (among others, probably) are gone. Yet there remain others that haven't had stock in over a year.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Is the Keizer still in stock anywhere? I only got the one bottle of that, I'd love to snag a few more for the cellar.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

lcbo site is really screwed up today.. showing only store with stock of Nickel Brook Naughty Neighbour American Pale for example

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

spinrsx wrote:lcbo site is really screwed up today.. showing only store with stock of Nickel Brook Naughty Neighbour American Pale for example
I was just about to post this, and it's affecting DrinkVine in turn. All of my drinks that had (multiple) locations yesterday have fallen into the unmatched/watch list again.

Harry porter, for instance, was in several stores yesterday, now it shows in one location.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

instantkamera wrote:
spinrsx wrote:lcbo site is really screwed up today.. showing only store with stock of Nickel Brook Naughty Neighbour American Pale for example
I was just about to post this, and it's affecting DrinkVine in turn. All of my drinks that had (multiple) locations yesterday have fallen into the unmatched/watch list again.

Harry porter, for instance, was in several stores yesterday, now it shows in one location.
Some sort of system upgrade happening, wont take more than a couple days.

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

Ukie wrote:
Some sort of system upgrade happening, wont take more than a couple days.
ಠ_ಠ

kevinlater

Post by kevinlater »

it's fixed now lol

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

And Big Beer Money seems to have beaten down the PC party:

Surprise, surprise.
Craft beer hipster before it was cool

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

Wow. The 'BO site is really messed up this morning. I can't search anything.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

ya, I get the same thing
Ceecee wrote:Wow. The 'BO site is really messed up this morning. I can't search anything.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Noticed the 'craft beer company' anounced that they represent la trappe now. Wonder who used to represent them and why the change

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Premier Brands used to rep LaTrappe (in the Konigshoeven days). No idea why the switch