Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

General LCBO Debate & Discussion Thread

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Esprit represented them for years under both names...even when they lost their Trappist designation. Today they hang on to it tenuosly as the brewery in the monastery brews Bavaria beers as well to keep busy and they are always under scrutiny for their commercial operations.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bought a decent Soave Classico AND a Cotes de Nuits 2012 Burgundy here in Hamburg - all for about eight Euro fifty. Lots more examples of great buys everywhere too, and very few staggering drunks that I can see. Wine and beer are just a grocery commodity enjoyed in moderation.

What I find offensive is not that the LCBO taxes so much on alcohol (fair play) but that they ALSO offer almost zero quality wine options in a sub-ten dollar range. To buy anything reasonably pleasant and drinkable usually falls into an extortionate mark-up in the price.

I mean it's silly that people of lesser means in Ontario cannot easily access good product within their budget range - this speaks to me not of 'social reponsibility' or 'health concerns' but of cynical, monopolistic profiteering. Big fat red herring is what I call it.
In Beerum Veritas

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

Not sure where to put this but according to the LCBO website, Fuller's London Pride and Fuller's London Porter have been discontinued.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

maybe they're switching to bottle format? (not sure why they would do this)

can't see this being due to low sales..
Ceecee wrote:Not sure where to put this but according to the LCBO website, Fuller's London Pride and Fuller's London Porter have been discontinued.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

I sure hope they're not discontinuing these products, they're two excellend beers.

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

spinrsx wrote:maybe they're switching to bottle format? (not sure why they would do this)

can't see this being due to low sales..
Ceecee wrote:Not sure where to put this but according to the LCBO website, Fuller's London Pride and Fuller's London Porter have been discontinued.
Wow, after all these years. London Pride recently went up about 20 or 30 cents in price. Even though it is not much hitting the $3 threshold put me off buying it this past weekend. No sign yet of the ESB, which is still listed at $2.75, being discontinued. I don't know much about the business side of things but if they stop sending the Pride and Porter I can see them not bothering with the ESB.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

My guess is that they're switching the Fullers beers to bottle format. The Price and ESB are already in the Beer Store in bottles, so probably moving to that format in the 'BO as well.

Seems odd given the strong move towards cans over the past few years, but hopefully that's the reason. It would be a shame to lose these beers from the market.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

$3.05/500mL can at the LC and $3.25/500mL bottles at the Beer Store, no idea why they'd switch to bottles unless its agent shenanigans
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Buddy was talking to LCBO employee last night and said he saw a new listing in the system for four packs of London Pride and London Porter much like Boddingtons and Guiness.

That makes sense.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

cfrancis wrote: Buddy was talking to LCBO employee last night and said he saw a new listing in the system for four packs of London Pride and London Porter much like Boddingtons and Guiness.

That makes sense.
That seems like a good move. When I see Fuller's go through a cash it's generally a bunch of them in a cart.
Craft beer hipster before it was cool

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

Any ever been asked for postal code at LCBO? First time being asked today, wonder if this is new.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

ercousin wrote:Any ever been asked for postal code at LCBO? First time being asked today, wonder if this is new.
They do that when they are collecting customer information to determine if/where new stores are needed.

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
ercousin wrote:Any ever been asked for postal code at LCBO? First time being asked today, wonder if this is new.
They do that when they are collecting customer information to determine if/where new stores are needed.
Theoretically they could use that info to track alcohol purchasing habits of certain households. Like the LCBO was originally tasked when it started in the 20's. I'll take off my tinfoil hat now lol.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

They usually ask if you don't present an air miles card. To track your purchases to a general local. I usually say "no" and they punch in some made up code.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

ercousin wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:
Theoretically they could use that info to track alcohol purchasing habits of certain households. Like the LCBO was originally tasked when it started in the 20's. I'll take off my tinfoil hat now lol.
Only if your house covers an entire postal code.