Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

General LCBO Debate & Discussion Thread

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

I just sent them a complaint. This was kind of a needless change to functionality in the name of aesthetics. I wonder if they intend to re-brand the brick and mortar operation as well.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

The change was probably partly done to bring demand on their servers down. On the other hand, the new site seems slower to me, so who really knows.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Oh well, I'm sure it only cost several hundred thousand dollars, which could have otherwise gone into the tax coffers of Ontario.

Cadbury102

Post by Cadbury102 »

ChrisK wrote:I just sent them a complaint. This was kind of a needless change to functionality in the name of aesthetics. I wonder if they intend to re-brand the brick and mortar operation as well.
I sent them a complaint too, but just about the fact that we can no longer see an exhaustive list of stores and availabilities with the new search function.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

midlife crisis wrote:Oh well, I'm sure it only cost several hundred thousand dollars, which could have otherwise gone into the tax coffers of Ontario.
That's a pretty low estimate, in my opinion. I'd wager this cost them more than a mil.

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

It looks like this may have broken drinkvine. Nothing is showing stock, I cannot search any stores. Is anyone else experiencing the same problems?

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

The new browse by style feature is somewhat useful, but the lack of an option to see which stores stock it without giving a location is bothersome. I used to like seeing all the stores within Toronto that carried a specific product.

Then again, now a-days I only use the LCBO website to update drinkvine, which has had a browse by style feature forever, lets you see stock either in all stores (everywhere) or the ones you live near by, and to keep track of and watch products. And I know for a fact that didn't cost hundreds or thousands of taxpayers dollars. Don't really see the point of the LCBO website... :roll:

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

This searching issue is stupid.
I know a lot of us here will drive around town / out of town for certain beers.

Sending a complaint as well.

Alternatively on my next beer run I may call up their customer service and get them to do the searching for me.

"I want A,B and C beers....and X,Y,Z beers too. I am starting at this LCBO" which location is closest for beer A?" ok, and after I go there, where is the closest location for beer B? Excellent...and from there where do I go for beer C?....."

A few dozen of those kind of calls could help get it changed ;)

Number8

Post by Number8 »

Nice job LCBO.

[/code]

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Messed up!

Search for Pyramid Outburst or #365692, returns (0) matches!

Fortunately Drinkvine still shows the correct info.

I wonder how much other product is missing?

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

wow, the search function is brutally slow.

*edit* by postal code it's pretty brutal. Quicker by location but still far less user-friendly than the old site.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

Well, I always knew that one day the LCBO would update their website and it would cause drinkvine to puke. I actually expected it come a long time ago.

I'll need to do some development and figure out what they've done and what's now possible. I can't get their new site to show me ANY product inventories currently. Wonderful!

I'll send out an email to all the users letting them know that things are not working properly for the time being. Hang in there.
drinkvine.com - a better way to find your beer and wine.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

GregClow wrote:
ercousin wrote:
midlife crisis wrote:Yes, they've taken something that actually provided useful information, and ruined it. God bless the LCBO!

What is ruined about it? I can still search by brewery, beer, and product number just fine.

But it looks like you can no longer get a full list of all stores that have a particular product in stock.

Not get a full listing?! I haven't even been able to get a single store come up! Every attempt I've made says "No stores were located using your criteria." :evil:

And I'm trying searching for common things and/or things I searched for in the last few days with success. It also appears they have changed some of the product numbers. And I've been typing in text that used to give me results but now doesn't.

WTF!! Brutal.

groulxsome wrote:The new browse by style feature is somewhat useful, but the lack of an option to see which stores stock it without giving a location is bothersome. I used to like seeing all the stores within Toronto that carried a specific product.

El Pinguino wrote:This searching issue is stupid.
I know a lot of us here will drive around town / out of town for certain beers.

This has killed the most useful feature of the site for me. If there is a beer I'd like to try, but it's not available in Burlington, I have used the site countless times to see where it is in stock. I can then plan stops if I'm travelling anywhere. I can't count the number of times I have done this.

I'm furious. Time to go write my complaint.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

ercousin wrote:What is ruined about it? I can still search by brewery, beer, and product number just fine.
I searched for Grand River and got 19 pages of results! I only looked at the first two and only saw one Grand River beer. Also saw Beau's Beaver River, Lake of Bays River Walker Summer Ale, and lots and lots of wine.

I searched for Side Launch Wheat - got a few beers, but not this one.

I searched for 384750. This is (was?) the number for Railway City Witty Traveller. I successfully searched it a day or two ago. Tonight? No results.

And as I explained in another post, if I was to get a successful result, I want to see a list of all the stores that have....like we used to.

For me, all of this is what is ruined about it.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I tried putting Grand River in quotes: "Grand River". I was hopeful that this would produce an "and" search rather than the "or" search you seem to be getting with your 19 pages of results. But in this case, I get exactly one result: Grand River Dog Stalker. No Plowmans? No Galt Knife? Tailgate? Did they test this application at all?