Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

General LCBO Debate & Discussion Thread

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

instantkamera wrote:
Frere Ambroise wrote:Yep - for no real reason the LCBO has decided to have neither RIS or Vintage this year.

I recently discussed this with my boss about the doing a one-time "private order" here on Bar Towel and to the licensees.

Would you folks be up for that? If so - let me know and I'll get the ball rolling on this just so I can tell the brewery how many cases to allocate to Ontario.

Cheers,
B
I'd take a "mixed sixer" - three of each RIS & Vintage.
Ditto.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Frere Ambroise wrote:Yep - for no real reason the LCBO has decided to have neither RIS or Vintage this year.
Argh. I really enjoy both of these beers and have saved a couple of bottles from each one I could get in recent years.

Cadbury102

Post by Cadbury102 »

instantkamera wrote:
Frere Ambroise wrote:
Yep - for no real reason the LCBO has decided to have neither RIS or Vintage this year.

I recently discussed this with my boss about the doing a one-time "private order" here on Bar Towel and to the licensees.

Would you folks be up for that? If so - let me know and I'll get the ball rolling on this just so I can tell the brewery how many cases to allocate to Ontario.

Cheers,
B

I'd take a "mixed sixer" - three of each RIS & Vintage.

Ditto.
Me too. (I think that's three people in total now).

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

maybe someone should start a thread in the private order forum, might help with the organizing

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

so October 29th and the Ottawa area never even received half of the Halloween/Pumpkin beers, or any of the Mikkeller feature. And the Halloween/Mikkeller beers are now listed as discontinued on the lcbo website. The Lcbo is so frustrating.

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

Its an absolute joke and why I only buy beer from the US r breweries directly.
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

mgmoney wrote:Its an absolute joke and why I only buy beer from the US r breweries directly.
That is basically where I'm at these days too.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

spinrsx wrote:so October 29th and the Ottawa area never even received half of the Halloween/Pumpkin beers, or any of the Mikkeller feature. And the Halloween/Mikkeller beers are now listed as discontinued on the lcbo website. The Lcbo is so frustrating.
We don't have the Halloween beers but the Xmas packages are starting to show up. I picked up the Bernadous and English Ale packages at Hunt Club/Merivale on Wed.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

cfrancis wrote:
spinrsx wrote:so October 29th and the Ottawa area never even received half of the Halloween/Pumpkin beers, or any of the Mikkeller feature. And the Halloween/Mikkeller beers are now listed as discontinued on the lcbo website. The Lcbo is so frustrating.
We don't have the Halloween beers but the Xmas packages are starting to show up. I picked up the Bernadous and English Ale packages at Hunt Club/Merivale on Wed.
Is there a list of Christmas gift packs available yet? I sure hope they will bring in glassware this year.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Lukie wrote:
cfrancis wrote:
Is there a list of Christmas gift packs available yet? I sure hope they will bring in glassware this year.
I know there was a list of potential that was floating around.

The only ones that I noticed with glassware was a Samuel Smith three pack with a pint glass that has been here before. A best of Belgium with a Leffe glass I believe. That was it that I noticed.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

cfrancis wrote:
Lukie wrote:
cfrancis wrote: We don't have the Halloween beers but the Xmas packages are starting to show up. I picked up the Bernadous and English Ale packages at Hunt Club/Merivale on Wed.
I know there was a list of potential that was floating around.

The only ones that I noticed with glassware was a Samuel Smith three pack with a pint glass that has been here before. A best of Belgium with a Leffe glass I believe. That was it that I noticed.
It would be awfully disappointing if those were the only ones, although Leffe Radieuse is pretty decent. Last year we didn't have any glassware gift packs so it would be great to see them back as its really the only feasible way to get your hands on the abbey glassware. I wonder why the BO would stop bringing them in - lack of sales, damage during shipping? Hmm, I suppose most gift packs were a bit unwieldy (and a bit cheap) to give as a gift for Christmas.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

I think Peter had mentioned last year that there were issued with breakage during shipping. This would cause all kinds of problems, can't sell the beer, safety concerns for employees, etc.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I was trying to drink this kinda bad 18-dollar Barbera wondering how many of the rumored 'specially tweaked' Ontario version wines are sent to our market in the guise of "90 rating" etc... the Google led me
here to this recently disgraced auction (shut down?? for strongly suspected fakes)...

Might be some good LCBO / wine discussion on there though. Enjoy!
In Beerum Veritas

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

Just wanted to throw a quick kudos to the Parkway Mall (Vic Park and Ellesmere) LCBO. They have really stepped it up on selection recently and ordered every beer. The beer guy is intent on getting everything he can. They even had a bunch in stock tonight that Laird didn't even have out yet (like Bolshevik 4-pk, La Resolution, Nickelbrook Cuvee, etc...).

Up and coming store for sure.