Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

General LCBO Debate & Discussion Thread

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Whoa.. this is something... is this at all lcbos? Can a single store in a government run chain have their own promotions?

7 bucks for a 4 pack of Imperial stout?
Start the car!!!
mds wrote:I was in the LCBO at Royal Bank Plaza (just north of Union in the PATH) this afternoon and noticed several beers at 30% off. I'm not sure if it's that location only (the prices aren't discounted on lcbo.com).

I picked up these:
10 Bitter Years dated April 14
Fat Tug dated March 16
Bolshevik Bastard
Collective Arts Stranger Than Fiction

ry_kinney

Post by ry_kinney »

I've seen a few instances in the last year where individual locations have sale price on certain items but other stores do not. Victoria Park/Ellesmere had some great deals a few months back and I grabbed Kentucky Bastard, the latest Best of Beau's, Stone Smoked Porter and Goose Island Mathilda all approx. 30% off.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

ry_kinney wrote:I've seen a few instances in the last year where individual locations have sale price on certain items but other stores do not. Victoria Park/Ellesmere had some great deals a few months back and I grabbed Kentucky Bastard, the latest Best of Beau's, Stone Smoked Porter and Goose Island Mathilda all approx. 30% off.
These deals are fun.

Apparently Social Responsibility does not REALLY dictate prices, and there's no Wicked Witch of the West after all...
In Beerum Veritas

portwood

Post by portwood »

spinrsx wrote:Whoa.. this is something... is this at all lcbos? Can a single store in a government run chain have their own promotions?
:lol: Looks like the beer crowd isn't familiar with Manager Sales :lol:

Although less frequent recently*, this used to be common practice with whisk(e)y. Store managers have discretion to discount slow moving product up to 30% off retail price. The procedure is to label them as final sale and put a mark through the UPC code to alert other stores if the customer tries to return to another store. The reduced price only shows in the computer of the store having the sale while the system maintains the regular price. These are not advertised beyond the store having the sale.

Yesterday I saw two bottles marked down: Compass Box Great King St (blended Scotch) and Stranahan's (American whiskey). Both of these are low profile brands known only to whisky nerds - more likely to sell in Toronto than Markham. Don't expect sales on high profile brands like Johnnie Walker or Jack Daniels .... or the macro beer equivalents :wink:

*this practice has become less common as the whisky selection has dropped significantly over the last year. Now, low distribution items are being stocked in a limited number of high profile Toronto stores so that inventory does not linger in outlying locations - thus reducing the need to clear out slow moving inventory!

I have bought many whisky bottles marked down 20% or 30%, I doubt I will ever buy beer marked down - whisky lasts decades in the bottle without deterioration, beer does not. We all know how poor LCBO distribution is, do you want a bottle of beer that has not been refrigerated for weeks/months before hitting store shelves then sits there for a few more months before manager decides to mark it down?
@markhamwhisky

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Yeah, I did wonder, for example, whether OP's Ten Bitter Years was brewed on March 16 or best before March 16.

DBN

Post by DBN »

http://www.lcbo.com/content/lcbo/en/cor ... 06-09.html So this is the guy we can blame for holding beer hostage.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

this is new..

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

whats in it? can't make out the writing on the label

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

It's been around for a bit. Mystery surprise bundles.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Sounds like a way to off load expiring beer...

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

bag o' trafalgar

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Been doing that for at least a month at my local. I can't imagine anything that interesting to bartowelers in there.

portwood

Post by portwood »

Masterplan wrote:Sounds like a way to off load expiring beer...
this was my first thought, BUT, I doubt the majority of LCBO employees know anything about expiry dates on beer.

Few stores seem to rotate stock properly. Just this afternoon I dug to the back of a shelf for a can thinking they would be fresher, when in fact the cans in the back were 3 months older than the product in front!

In any event, when I pull money out of my pocket I like to know what I'm buying, I don't like surprises. Then again different strokes...
@markhamwhisky

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Very funny comments on the shelf turds promo.

I want to say put these bags of indecisive consumer joy on a neighbor's porch, light them on fire and hit the doorbell...
Last edited by Belgian on Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

spinrsx wrote:this is new..

I guess the geniuses at Molson finley figured out a way for craft lovers to buy their beer.