Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

General LCBO Debate & Discussion Thread

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

spinrsx wrote:this is new..

It's easy to figure out what's in there as the SKU numbers are on the bag. They're not for bartowelers, they're for people curious about craft, don't know where to start and like surprises. It's like a candy surprise bags kids get, but for adults.

I like this think this is my idea. I pitched this to a Beer Ambassador in Strathroy over a year ago (provided there was LB in there :wink:), but her manager wouldn't let her. Fast forward 9 or so months and these started showing up on shelves in London, which is where I believe she was transfered to.

It's possible someone else also had the idea, however I'm taking credit for them until otherwise corrected.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

spinrsx wrote:this is new..

Innes has been doing it for a few months.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

How would some of you rate the three Goose Island tall cans that are in the LCBO right now (IPA, Honkers, Endless)? Are these all being brewed by Sleeman or some other brewery up here now? I can't remember the exact situation there. Are the beers suffering at all from this? I haven't had any since I heard that someone else was breweing them. Not that I considered any of them great to begin with, but just curious on some opinions as I've been really close to picking some up after getting a nice new Goose Island glass for the still solid Sofie and Matilda.

Also... are Sofie and Matilda being brewed up here now too?

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

Blasphomet wrote:How would some of you rate the three Goose Island tall cans that are in the LCBO right now (IPA, Honkers, Endless)? Are these all being brewed by Sleeman or some other brewery up here now? I can't remember the exact situation there. Are the beers suffering at all from this? I haven't had any since I heard that someone else was breweing them. Not that I considered any of them great to begin with, but just curious on some opinions as I've been really close to picking some up after getting a nice new Goose Island glass for the still solid Sofie and Matilda.

Also... are Sofie and Matilda being brewed up here now too?

Endless>IPA>Honkers.

I also like hoppy things. Endless has less of a backbone, also sessionable.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

If I had to drink one I guess I'd go with IPA?

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

I really don't mind the IPA at all, I think it's solid. I polished off a few 12 packs last summer. Endless is typical session IPA, thin bodied, but nice and fruity. I really disliked the honkers, much different than I remember it being after having in the states a few years back.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

About a year ago I spent some time with a GI QC lab guy out of Chicago at a Migration event in DC. Was talking about how their big beers are mostly brewed off site now and were talking about the stuff being done out of Canada (Mtl?). Anyway, he was telling me that once or twice a year (I forget the frequency), they rebrew those recipes on the old Chicago systems. And then they ship in cases from the offsite plants and compare.

So take from that what you will about differences in the beers depending on location, but assuming he wasn't bullshitting me it sounds like GI are definitely trying to make sure the beer is identical no matter where it is made.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

sofakingdrunk wrote:I really don't mind the IPA at all, I think it's solid. I polished off a few 12 packs last summer...
+1. Goose Island is a good-value IPA that is fresh and flavorful, and that's a good product ethic.
In Beerum Veritas

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

So just a few questions here that hopefully someone can assist me with regarding the online shopping...

Am I able to buy Evil Twin beer through the LCBO online? Or do I have to use that other site (insert site name here) where you have to buy full cases? And if I am able to buy through the LCBO, am I able to buy single bottles/cans or six packs of stuff or do I have buy entire cases?

Is the LCBO online site providing interesting stuff that I am unable to get in store?

Rather than wade through all these threads here, I figured it would be easier to just ask. I haven't paid much attention to this whole online thing. As many details as possible will be greatly appreciated regarding how much I need to buy, and how interesting some stuff is.

Also a link to their online shop would be rad too.

Cheers! :D

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Full cases only, stock varies so you have to check. Evil twin has been around. Yes, there are online exclusives. The link is...www.lcbo.com.

This is the direct link to the online exclusives in the Ales category, which is where most stuff people around here will be interested in are:

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/catalog/ale/11 ... ttype=ajax

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Craig wrote:Full cases only, stock varies so you have to check. Evil twin has been around. Yes, there are online exclusives. The link is...www.lcbo.com.

This is the direct link to the online exclusives in the Ales category, which is where most stuff people around here will be interested in are:

LOL!

$80+ for a case of Evil Twin Bikini Beer? Bikini Beer... more than $20 a six pack. Looooool! You can now consider me a person who has zero interest in using this complete shit service. Leave it to the LCBO to fuck up something that could be so great by demanding you puchase an entire case of a beer you've never had for upwards of $100 on the cheaper end... with no break in the prices like you'd get by buying a case of anything at the beer store.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

As others have mentioned, you can buy a case and keep 1 beer and then return the remaining 23 beers for a refund.

Orval_Al

Post by Orval_Al »

Belgian wrote:
sofakingdrunk wrote:I really don't mind the IPA at all, I think it's solid. I polished off a few 12 packs last summer...
+1. Goose Island is a good-value IPA that is fresh and flavorful, and that's a good product ethic.
I like the regular Goose IPA too, but to me it drinks more like a session IPA. Bland, but refreshing and serviceable. I find beers like Naughty Neighbor and even Canuck Pale Ale more hoppy and flavourful, despite the lesser ABV.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Blasphomet wrote:LOL!
$80+ for a case of Evil Twin Bikini Beer? Bikini Beer... more than $20 a six pack. Looooool! You can now consider me a person who has zero interest in using this complete shit service.
$3.33 a bottle for ET is that bad? :-? I would look at a few things.

A) The cost of buying that Bikini Beer stateside & then bringing it back across with or without the added 30% border fees Ontario charges you as thanks for doing all the work for them. Not even factoring the border hit or the gas, taking just the exchange fees plus added taxes and deposit can bring it close to $20 CAD a six pack if not well beyond.
You might drink these beers more cheaply (and fresher) in Ontario using this ordering service if you actually do the research.

B) Some LC online things (like Oude Beersel Kriek for under ten bucks) are obviously a better price here. So then is it a terrible service, or does the pricing depend on the item with its particular add-up of costs?

If a bazillion Ontarians started buying Evil Twin Bikini reducing the price to buy it, would you really complain about that re-scaling of costs, based on the identical math principles?
And since we're talking about Evil Twin, tell me, when are guys like ET and Mikkeller ever all that cheap in Ontario to begin with, in the stores and bars? Perspective, dude... 8)
In Beerum Veritas

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

Blasphomet wrote:
Craig wrote:Full cases only, stock varies so you have to check. Evil twin has been around. Yes, there are online exclusives. The link is...www.lcbo.com.

LOL!

$80+ for a case of Evil Twin Bikini Beer? Bikini Beer... more than $20 a six pack. Looooool! You can now consider me a person who has zero interest in using this complete shit service. Leave it to the LCBO to fuck up something that could be so great by demanding you puchase an entire case of a beer you've never had for upwards of $100 on the cheaper end... with no break in the prices like you'd get by buying a case of anything at the beer store.
I'm guessing you don't buy beer too often. This isn't the first time you've complained about a $20 six pack. I can get 6 different beers, and more often than not, it will be over $20.
"There's always money in the banana stand."