Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

General LCBO Debate & Discussion Thread

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

atomeyes wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:Everyone here seems to be an expert at running a business. How many of you have your own businesses? Since we are all self proclaimed experts, I am guessing at least 99% of Bartowelers own their own business. It must be a fact.

and as a scientist, i still have no idea how Cantillon's OK for Quebec and BC but its poisonous for Ontario???

And as a citizen scientist I can tell you that the Olive-sided Flycatcher nests in Boreal Bogs in Canada, is one of the latest spring migrants to come through our area, and one of the first fall migrants to leave. Have fun.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

saints_gambit wrote: Clearly, Len needs a damned good thrashing. I mean, we warned you, Len, but just... man. I can't believe the things that guy did.

Down with Len.
We will get him eventually. He is the heart of the evil empire.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Then trash me at Gambrinus.....I will always be up for a thrashing. :)As long as you mean business. Cause I always do.

You just need to get by my army knife, box cutter,anthrax, pepper spray, and 15 man crew. After all....mess with the bull, you get the horns. and I'll give the horns ANYTIME. And I mean it.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I have the imagination of a squid. I like my dead-end day job, and it's just RUDE to talk about a world outside this prison of imaginary security.

Ontario is like my Mommy.
In Beerum Veritas

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Belgian wrote:I have the imagination of a squid. I like my dead-end day job, and it's just RUDE to talk about a world outside this prison of imaginary security.

Ontario is like my Mommy.
As a scientist, I'm pretty sure squids don't have imaginations...unless they're giant squids.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

atomeyes wrote:and as a scientist, i still have no idea how Cantillon's OK for Quebec and BC but its poisonous for Ontario???
1) It was one specific Cantillon beer (Kriek, I think?) that was disallowed, not all of them, as proven by the fact that you can get a number of Cantillon beers at beerbistro and other locations.

2) It had nothing to do with the LCBO/AGCO - it was due to federal food safety regulations.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

GregClow wrote:
atomeyes wrote:and as a scientist, i still have no idea how Cantillon's OK for Quebec and BC but its poisonous for Ontario???
1) It was one specific Cantillon beer (Kriek, I think?) that was disallowed, not all of them, as proven by the fact that you can get a number of Cantillon beers at beerbistro and other locations.

2) It had nothing to do with the LCBO/AGCO - it was due to federal food safety regulations.
then it doesn't explain why you can get most of the Cantillon product line in BC at Firefly

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Basically the LCBO was the only provincial agency that enforced the law as written.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

To get the relevant facts straight (yet again):

The CFIA enforces the Canadian Food & Drugs Act, and it's associated Regulations.

The Canadian Food & Drug Regulations do not provide guidelines for Potassium Ferrocyanide, with respect to beer. However, they do provide guidelines for potassium ferrocyanide with respect to wine. It is permitted as a fining agent in wine, at a maximum level of use consistent with Good Manufacturing Practices.

The LCBO has Quality Assurance Guidelines for Chemical Analysis. In those guidelines, there is a limit for potassium ferrocyanide in beer. The limit is 500 µg/L.

The LD50 (oral/rat) for potassium ferrocyanide is 6,400 mg/kg. Hydrolysis of aqueous solutions of potassium ferrocyanide can produce HCN (hydrogen cyanide gas). The LDLO (lowest published lethal dose/man) for HCN is <1 mg/kg.

Have at it fellas...
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

atomeyes wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:Everyone here seems to be an expert at running a business. How many of you have your own businesses? Since we are all self proclaimed experts, I am guessing at least 99% of Bartowelers own their own business. It must be a fact.

open the market like they did out in BC
BCLDB make the LCBO look effecient!!!!

SMC

Post by SMC »

Torontoblue wrote:BCLDB make the LCBO look effecient!!!!
Seriously as someone that also buys spirits, I'm glad I'm not in BC. I'd much rather be in Alberta.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

cannondale wrote:To get the relevant facts straight (yet again):

The CFIA enforces the Canadian Food & Drugs Act, and it's associated Regulations.

The Canadian Food & Drug Regulations do not provide guidelines for Potassium Ferrocyanide, with respect to beer. However, they do provide guidelines for potassium ferrocyanide with respect to wine. It is permitted as a fining agent in wine, at a maximum level of use consistent with Good Manufacturing Practices.

The LCBO has Quality Assurance Guidelines for Chemical Analysis. In those guidelines, there is a limit for potassium ferrocyanide in beer. The limit is 500 µg/L.

The LD50 (oral/rat) for potassium ferrocyanide is 6,400 mg/kg. Hydrolysis of aqueous solutions of potassium ferrocyanide can produce HCN (hydrogen cyanide gas). The LDLO (lowest published lethal dose/man) for HCN is <1 mg/kg.

Have at it fellas...
so how much was in the cantillon sample?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

atomeyes wrote:so how much was in the cantillon sample?
I've heard it was like 9/11 - times a thousand!

In Beerum Veritas

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

atomeyes wrote:

Have at it fellas...
As a scientist, you should know that the answer to that question is '> 500 ppb'.

As to the exact concentration, you would have to ask the LCBO or the importer for the CofA (or perhaps the raw data, if the actual concentration is not indicated on the CofA). But really, that is neither here nor there, isn't it.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

cannondale wrote:
atomeyes wrote:

Have at it fellas...
As a scientist, you should know that the answer to that question is '> 500 ppb'.

As to the exact concentration, you would have to ask the LCBO or the importer for the CofA (or perhaps the raw data, if the actual concentration is not indicated on the CofA). But really, that is neither here nor there, isn't it.
you're assuming it exceeded that amount. i wouldn't mind knowing the exact amount reported in that one bottle, and why that science can't be applied to all of Canada.