Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

General LCBO Debate & Discussion Thread

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

atomeyes wrote:
cannondale wrote:
atomeyes wrote: so how much was in the cantillon sample?
As a scientist, you should know that the answer to that question is '> 500 ppb'.

As to the exact concentration, you would have to ask the LCBO or the importer for the CofA (or perhaps the raw data, if the actual concentration is not indicated on the CofA). But really, that is neither here nor there, isn't it.
you're assuming it exceeded that amount. i wouldn't mind knowing the exact amount reported in that one bottle, and why that science can't be applied to all of Canada.
Tell ya what professor...start your research with this handy gizmo..

http://www.bartowel.com/board/search.php

And refer to these..

http://www.lcbotrade.com/pdf/Product_Pa ... s_2011.pdf
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regu ... index.html
http://apps.who.int/ipsc/database/evalu ... hemID=3881
http://www.who.int/foodsafety/chem/jecf ... index.html
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

The Cantillon thing, huh?

I find it interesting that you're unable or unwilling to let go of the idea that you were at one point denied a product due to LCBO adhering to governmentally imposed food safety standards and that you've chosen to base your opinion of them on that.

I get it. It's good beer that you didn't get to drink. However, you've been denied one variety of beer that would have possibly given you a couple of hours of pleasure before you turned it into urine. For some reason, the scale of this injustice is such that you are willing to condemn the efforts of the LCBO in perpetuity?

You know, when I was six I got the Justice League playset from my parents for Christmas. All of the action figures were there. Martian Manhunter, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Batman, Robin, Superman, Wonder Woman, Red Tornado (who is like the Bud Light of the Justice League: I don't know why he exists, but he seems to be a fixture), Aquaman, The Flash.

You know what, though? The elevator on the playset didn't work because there was a part missing.

It's just that this doesn't colour my relationship with my parents. It was a minor setback. It would be moronic to call up Dad periodically at the office and hold him accountable for that all these years later.

You want the LCBO to provide information on a decision they made years ago because you feel that the decision was not up to your standards? You want detailed chemical analyses from the universe to justify why you were unable to enjoy something for two hours about five years ago? You're going to do what with that information? Demand that they fire someone for following the rules? Hound them to the ends of the earth until they send an intern to your house with a case of rare Belgian beer and a letter of apology signed by Dalton McGuinty?
saintjohnswort.ca

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

honestly, are you that simple to think that 1) its my only bone on contention with the LCBO? 2) that my life is shattered due to a lack of Cantillon? 3) your Justice League playset story was slightly relevant or entertaining?

i don't get it...
we have pages of complains about the LCBO and you think that my one specific example about one specific beer is either THE lone issue or MY lone issue with the LCBO?

like, really?

RayOhm

Post by RayOhm »

saints_gambit wrote: You know, when I was six I got the Justice League playset from my parents for Christmas. All of the action figures were there. Martian Manhunter, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Batman, Robin, Superman, Wonder Woman, Red Tornado (who is like the Bud Light of the Justice League: I don't know why he exists, but he seems to be a fixture), Aquaman, The Flash.

You know what, though? The elevator on the playset didn't work because there was a part missing.

It's just that this doesn't colour my relationship with my parents. It was a minor setback. It would be moronic to call up Dad periodically at the office and hold him accountable for that all these years later.
Hilarius
I don’t care what the U.N. says, I don’t recognize countries that don’t produce beer.

The Mick

Post by The Mick »

atomeyes wrote:honestly, are you that simple to think that ... 3) your Justice League playset story was slightly relevant or entertaining?
like, really?
Justice League is always relevant and entertaining.
I don't always drink beer ... because sometimes my friends win and we have to go to macro-only establishments.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

its no Insectors, so the comparison is irrelevant. :)

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

atomeyes wrote:honestly, are you that simple to think that 1) its my only bone on contention with the LCBO? 2) that my life is shattered due to a lack of Cantillon? 3) your Justice League playset story was slightly relevant or entertaining?

i don't get it...
we have pages of complains about the LCBO and you think that my one specific example about one specific beer is either THE lone issue or MY lone issue with the LCBO?

like, really?
1) No, you've clearly stated that as a businessman you've deduced that the fact that the phone is ringing means that they are too large to exist. That's certainly an issue other than Cantillon that you have

2) Only insofar as you've taken up the last page of the thread to argue for the release of the records from the LCBO lab like a birther trying to get Obama to release his long form birth certificate. This in spite of the fact that the beer, which has been destroyed can neither be impeached nor recalled.

3) It was funny because I was using an analogy to explain how you were behaving like a disappointed six year old, worrying away at an unanswerable point long after it has ceased to be relevant to anyone's life.
That's why it was funny. Also, I compared Red Tornado to Bud Light because they both suck.
saintjohnswort.ca

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

King & Spadina LCBO. Another single bottle out of a open style six pack issue today. I don't frequently break open six packs but since three bottles were already gone of Tree Brewing Hophead India Pale Ale I figured I'd take a bottle myself to try. It of course doesn't scan at checkout. I was told it can't be sold since it doesn't scan and that it's part of a six pack. I point out that the six pack is an open style six pack and is already broken with three missing. I said ring it up as a single domestic. She said that she can't do that. She confers with another floor staff who parrots the same thing. I mention that other LCBOs do ring up stuff like this and she says that LCBOs are run differently. I say that for a government run monopoly that shouldn't be the case. She says that since she's logged into the cash register she could get into trouble. :roll:

Email sent off to LCBO customer service...

Would it help in this situation to say that I'm writing the LCBO customer service about this?
lister

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

lister wrote:I mention that other LCBOs do ring up stuff like this and she says that LCBOs are run differently. I say that for a government run monopoly that shouldn't be the case...
Each LCBO store is a beautiful, unique snowflake.
In Beerum Veritas

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Tried again, same store, same single bottle of beer, different employee. I was told that there are new rules that we're not allowed to break up six packs and that it messes up inventory.

So Len and PeenSteen what's the story? Some new rules come down the pike? Employees not have a clue or properly informed? Or is the manager being a dick and doing things against Mother LCBO?

Presumably will hear back from LCBO customer service later this week.
lister

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

lister wrote:Tried again, same store, same single bottle of beer, different employee. I was told that there are new rules that we're not allowed to break up six packs and that it messes up inventory.

So Len and PeenSteen what's the story? Some new rules come down the pike? Employees not have a clue or properly informed? Or is the manager being a dick and doing things against Mother LCBO?

Presumably will hear back from LCBO customer service later this week.

Any beer in an open format, with the exception of St. Ambroise Pale and Lug Tread, can be sold individually. There are single codes for all of these beers. If the employee rings it up correctly there will be no inventory discrepancy. I'm pretty sure that new rules thing is a bunch of bullshit because the LCBO has a whole "mix and match" program designed for people to buy singles. The LCBO makes more money on people buying 6 single different beers than a six pack of one item anyway.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

lister wrote: but since three bottles were already gone of Tree Brewing
Hophead India Pale Ale I figured I'd take a bottle myself to try.
If you took the "six-pack" to the checkout, would they charge you the six-pack price for the three bottles that were left?

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Any beer in an open format, with the exception of St. Ambroise Pale and Lug Tread, can be sold individually. There are single codes for all of these beers. If the employee rings it up correctly there will be no inventory discrepancy. I'm pretty sure that new rules thing is a bunch of bullshit because the LCBO has a whole "mix and match" program designed for people to buy singles. The LCBO makes more money on people buying 6 single different beers than a six pack of one item anyway.
So you say, and I have absolutely no reason to doubt you, but I've had the same experience as Lister on more than one occasion. Why can't the majority of LCBO employees be even slightly trained to do their job properly?

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

midlife crisis wrote:
Why can't the majority of LCBO employees be even slightly trained to do their job properly?
with all respect, "why can't some LCBO employees be better trained" Fortunately, I have never had this issue.

lyndonk

Post by lyndonk »

midlife crisis wrote:
Why can't the majority of LCBO employees be even slightly trained to do their job properly?
I've got no complaints....Normally I can get any open-case six pack bottle for $2. I've picked up Rogue Dead Guy and bought it for $2 a bottle...so long as I buy under six bottles I get a discount. On the other hand if you buy a bottle that comes from a six pack costing <$12 you don't really come out on top...Sometimes they do it "correctly" and charge 1/6 of the six pack cost though....