Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

General LCBO Debate & Discussion Thread

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Blasphomet wrote:Aromatherapy finally showed up locally in Oshawa. $4.50 a can eh? Fucking joke. But I still bought three. It better be great otherwise I'll never buy it again at that price.
Just had an Aromatherapy. Really good beer. Way overpriced.

Stoked at an opportunity to quote myself.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Blasphomet wrote:
Blasphomet wrote:Aromatherapy finally showed up locally in Oshawa. $4.50 a can eh? Fucking joke. But I still bought three. It better be great otherwise I'll never buy it again at that price.

Agreed, I bought two, about 6 months ago just to see if it was worth the $. Good, but not as good as others around and costs more. I actually think Pink Fuzz is a better beer and it's a lot cheaper. I highly doubt I'll ever buy another aromatherapy unless they drop the price significantly

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

sofakingdrunk wrote:
Blasphomet wrote:

Agreed, I bought two, about 6 months ago just to see if it was worth the $. Good, but not as good as others around and costs more. I actually think Pink Fuzz is a better beer and it's a lot cheaper. I highly doubt I'll ever buy another aromatherapy unless they drop the price significantly
The price makes zero sense to me when you compare the Pink and the Pale other than total fuckery and trying to lure people. Fuck that price, BTP. Dumb. I'm drinking a 19/09 Clutch right now and it's inferior to the previous batch and I'd rather drink this rad inferior batch for the price any day of year.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

I've immediately changed my mind after cranking another Aromatherapy here and it's better than the clutch that came before in this particular case but fuck $4.50 still.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Blasphomet wrote:I've immediately changed my mind after cranking another Aromatherapy here and it's better than the clutch that came before in this particular case but fuck $4.50 still.
Off topic, as this has nothing to do with discussing the annoyances or virtues of the LCBO itself. :D But...

What are people paying for Beau's 600mls like the totally solid Kissmeyer Pale? And for Bellwoods 500ml IPAs? Oh yeah more! I guess any new brewery can try this 'charge it and see' game. It seems if you can get out of the 'value' market and actually sell less product for more money per unit you can still do OK.

Look at Godspeed! 355mls for $3.75, so even a 17% higher cost per ml than Aromatherapy and I can't say I blame either of them. I probably won't buy armloads of either and maybe it doesn't matter.
In Beerum Veritas

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Bellwoods now has Jutsu in cans at $5 each. I think that is 50¢ or $1 lower than the bottles were, but I think you might have to buy 4-packs. I like Aromatherapy better than Jutsu and it's cheaper. However, I can never find a date on BTP cans, which will be unforgivable if I ever get a bad can.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

BTP stamps their can dates on the cardboard that the cans come on. So if you're lucky enough to find a stack of undisturbed/full cases, just check the cardboard for the dates.
beerstodiscover wrote:Bellwoods now has Jutsu in cans at $5 each. I think that is 50¢ or $1 lower than the bottles were, but I think you might have to buy 4-packs. I like Aromatherapy better than Jutsu and it's cheaper. However, I can never find a date on BTP cans, which will be unforgivable if I ever get a bad can.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Belgian wrote:
Blasphomet wrote:I've immediately changed my mind after cranking another Aromatherapy here and it's better than the clutch that came before in this particular case but fuck $4.50 still.
Off topic, as this has nothing to do with discussing the annoyances or virtues of the LCBO itself. :D But...

What are people paying for Beau's 600mls like the totally solid Kissmeyer Pale? And for Bellwoods 500ml IPAs? Oh yeah more! I guess any new brewery can try this 'charge it and see' game. It seems if you can get out of the 'value' market and actually sell less product for more money per unit you can still do OK.

Look at Godspeed! 355mls for $3.75, so even a 17% higher cost per ml than Aromatherapy and I can't say I blame either of them. I probably won't buy armloads of either and maybe it doesn't matter.
For me the price really determines whether I just buy one and try, or buy repeatedly. I like to try almost every beer, but I'll probably never buy another Aromatherapy again at that price. Seeing as Canuck is under $3/can and there are several other great IPAs around $3-3.50, those are the beers that get repeat purchases and ultimately a lot more money from me.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Belgian wrote:

I don't buy Beau's. Bellwoods is way better. I don't buy Godspeed.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

We have also experienced an extended period of affordable credit / historic low interest rates (& even a 'house rich' mentality of home owners) making some people feel they can afford to freely enjoy their money more. This has supported years of upward-surging prices, and now it may change a bit.

What I anticipate is a gradual tightening of Ontarians' sense of consumer wealthiness & people becoming more conservative about discretionary purchases in favor of not over-extending oneself & saving for a rainy day.

With this 'pulling back' I predict a cooling of bar and brewery prices to reflect more competition for a more selective & financially-reserved public.
seangm wrote:For me the price really determines whether I just buy one and try, or buy repeatedly. I like to try almost every beer, but I'll probably never buy another Aromatherapy again at that price. Seeing as Canuck is under $3/can and there are several other great IPAs around $3-3.50, those are the beers that get repeat purchases and ultimately a lot more money from me.
In Beerum Veritas

ThomasHunter

Post by ThomasHunter »

Cans of Omnipollo Zodiak would sometimes contain a best before date instead of a canned on date. Does anyone know what the freshness window of the best before dates are? Is it 4 months or 6 months?

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

does anybody know whats going on with Four Fathers Shevchenko 9 Ukranian Lager? I bought a can online and PKG ON date reads "2017/01/27" so I opened the can and was immediately hit with pungent rubbing alcohol.

a beertuber reviewed it recently and he mentioned his PKG ON date was April 2017. did the LCBO delay this release or did Four Fathers mess up?

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

JaseWescott wrote:does anybody know whats going on with Four Fathers Shevchenko 9 Ukranian Lager? I bought a can online and PKG ON date reads "2017/01/27" so I opened the can and was immediately hit with pungent rubbing alcohol.

a beertuber reviewed it recently and he mentioned his PKG ON date was April 2017. did the LCBO delay this release or did Four Fathers mess up?
The one I had was nothing to write home about, but not bad by any means.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

JaseWescott wrote:does anybody know whats going on with Four Fathers Shevchenko 9 Ukranian Lager? I bought a can online and PKG ON date reads "2017/01/27" so I opened the can and was immediately hit with pungent rubbing alcohol.

I've bought a couple cans now and haven't experienced any flaws. I can't recall the canning dates but I'm pretty sure they were fairly recent, for what it's worth I purchased them at the Ellesmere/Victoria Park LC.

I've enjoyed it overall, thought it was a good dunkel and it's certainly nice to have considering the style is under-represented at the LCBO.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

I was in an LCBO today, saw this beer, remembered this question, checked the date.....September 29!