Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

General LCBO Debate & Discussion Thread

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Orval_Al

Post by Orval_Al »

And it doesn't surprise me that it sits on the shelf. The layman isn't going to drop $7.50 on a 350ml stout. I bet it would move way better at $4.95.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Orval_Al wrote:I was one of those lucky bastards who bought a couple KBS four packs for the price of one. Ever since then I haven't been able to pay the price for just one.
Same, and somehow I managed it again with the CBS. I felt a bit guilty, but I've spent massive amounts of money at the LCBO so that guilt quickly vanished.

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

No Tax hike coming Nov (as per usual) 8)

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

I don't know if it's coming to Canada but it's real. Labatt USA product from Rochester, NY in 12 and 16 oz cans :D

ry_kinney

Post by ry_kinney »

Feb 6th Life In The Clouds cans are tasting as good as ever. Maybe a tweaked recipe as the description is now "Double Dry Hopped IPA."

Tastes a little less sweet and little more hoppy. Visually opaque and pure haze.

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

launching Feb 2020 with regular KBS, hopefully it makes it's way to Canada :)

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

JaseWescott wrote:launching Feb 2020 with regular KBS, hopefully it makes it's way to Canada :)
Somewhat related, apparently after one final production run Founders is discontinuing CBS. Perhaps it relates to the logistics of procuring the bourbon aged maple syrup bourbon barrels for production? Hopefully some of this last run will make its way north of the border for the LCBO winter release.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

ry_kinney wrote:Feb 6th Life In The Clouds cans are tasting as good as ever. Maybe a tweaked recipe as the description is now "Double Dry Hopped IPA."

Tastes a little less sweet and little more hoppy. Visually opaque and pure haze.
So many of these VE-style hop-dusty cloudy IPAs/Pales with tropical overnotes are becoming pretty good, that I now wonder if not only is it becoming more competitive for this style, they are in their perfection also becoming harder to tell much apart? When you've had Sunsplit and Greenwood and a few others, it's hard to find better.

Just to say Collective Arts is wise to stay on its game as one of the best Ontario brewers of Vermont-style IPAs.
In Beerum Veritas

Orval_Al

Post by Orval_Al »

Belgian wrote:
ry_kinney wrote:Feb 6th Life In The Clouds cans are tasting as good as ever. Maybe a tweaked recipe as the description is now "Double Dry Hopped IPA."

So many of these VE-style hop-dusty cloudy IPAs/Pales with tropical overnotes are becoming pretty good, that I now wonder if not only is it becoming more competitive for this style, they are in their perfection also becoming harder to tell much apart? When you've had Sunsplit and Greenwood and a few others, it's hard to find better.

Just to say Collective Arts is wise to stay on its game as one of the best Ontario brewers of Vermont-style IPAs.
Agreed, breweries are pulling up their socks on this style and the results have been fantastic. I've personally been drinking NEIPA's almost exclusively throughout these past warm summer months, and I can definitely tell the difference between them. Sunsplit, for instance, is nice but I find it a tad on the sweet side and really lacking in bitterness. Greenwood is fantastic and rivals anything from CA. My personal favourites these days are coming from Fairweather, CA, Great Lakes and Muddy York. Just a great time for Canadian hazy IPA fans.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

seangm wrote:
JaseWescott wrote:launching Feb 2020 with regular KBS, hopefully it makes it's way to Canada :)
Somewhat related, apparently after one final production run Founders is discontinuing CBS. Perhaps it relates to the logistics of procuring the bourbon aged maple syrup bourbon barrels for production? Hopefully some of this last run will make its way north of the border for the LCBO winter release.
it seems most US releases make it here if they have surplus sitting on shelves.
Reliable Beer Critic

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Belgian wrote:... Just to say Collective Arts is wise to stay on its game as one of the best Ontario brewers of Vermont-style IPAs.
.. and Beyond The Pale Yummy! NEPA is back in LCBO stores! As if there wasn't already great stuff. Fantastic.
In Beerum Veritas

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Belgian wrote:...the new LC on Spadina and Front.

This expansive new store in a slightly less useful location ...
Has this replaced the store at King/Spadina?

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

S. St. Jeb wrote:
Belgian wrote:...the new LC on Spadina and Front.

This expansive new store in a slightly less useful location ...
Has this replaced the store at King/Spadina?
Yes. The K&S building is coming down for a condo.

The S&F location isn't so bad. The space is nice. Lots of good beer. The whisky, particularly bourbon, selection is not good at all.
lister

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

I forgot to mention DerekD added a new feature to caskhunter.com recently that shows the complete store inventory w/ sorting options :D

maybethewater

Post by maybethewater »

That's cool, prices appear to be off though.