Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

General LCBO Debate & Discussion Thread

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Given that I'm frequently up in the Barrie area, I've had my fair share of their brews since their inception. Right from the get-go I thought they were very good. My favourite is Leather Interior.
lister

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

lister wrote:Given that I'm frequently up in the Barrie area, I've had my fair share of their brews since their inception. Right from the get-go I thought they were very good. My favourite is Leather Interior.
I love air ride. Clutch is definitely the best consistent APA at the lcbo.

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

Agree on Clutch...the Bobcaygeon Common Loon was nowhere near as good. Not even close...I'll take a pass on it moving forward unless they change the recipe
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

I agree the Clutch is very good. My wife loves it too. Nice and hoppy. We had the Double Clutch at the Georgetown Beer Fest and thought it was the best in show. It is available in crowlers at the brewery.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

mgmoney wrote:Agree on Clutch...the Bobcaygeon Common Loon was nowhere near as good. Not even close...I'll take a pass on it moving forward unless they change the recipe
Good to know. I'll still give it a shot but assume if you like Clutch then you are on the same track as me opinion-wise. At least when it comes to this style.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Blasphomet wrote:I'm not sure there is a better Pale Ale than Redline's Clutch that is in stores right now. It better be a main stay... and they better never change it! :) And I hope when I see some of their other beer pop up in-store, it's of what in my opinion is superior quality. Just a juicy, delicious beer the likes of which are so rare in store.

From the picture I've seen though, the Bobcaygeon Brewing Common Loon APA looks damn nice too. Any thoughts or opinions?
Completely agree on the Redline. Clutch is probably my favourite readily available Ontario APA right now. When it's fresh I prefer it to Canuck and NN by a long shot.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Had Redline's Kollision for the first time last night which is their dry-hopped vienna lager. Very nice.
lister

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Big fan of GLB here, and with the excitement that Karma Citra seems to be garnering as it appears on LCBO shelves... I'm curious... is this everyone's favourite GLB IPA? Personally mine is Lake Effect. But I don't recall the excitement around that, and Octopus when they started to show up at stores in cans.

What say you?

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

Blasphomet wrote:Big fan of GLB here, and with the excitement that Karma Citra seems to be garnering as it appears on LCBO shelves... I'm curious... is this everyone's favourite GLB IPA? Personally mine is Lake Effect. But I don't recall the excitement around that, and Octopus when they started to show up at stores in cans.

What say you?
Between Karma, thrust, octopus and lake effect I find it hard to pick a favorite. They are all great, slightly different ipa's. Citra is the hop that really got me hooked so I guess that's why I'm so excited about karma returning to the lcbo.
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Lake effect is by far my fav. I enjoy karma citra but put it below LE, thrust,octopus and robohop(I know it's a dipa)

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Blasphomet wrote:Big fan of GLB here, and with the excitement that Karma Citra seems to be garnering as it appears on LCBO shelves... I'm curious... is this everyone's favourite GLB IPA? Personally mine is Lake Effect. But I don't recall the excitement around that, and Octopus when they started to show up at stores in cans.

What say you?
Hard to say I had a strong favourite, and I don't keep tasting notes, but Robohop is the one I remember most fondly.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I find they vary so much from year to year my favorite changes. The first year of lake effect was the best, but the year after I liked Thrust better.

I don't like octopus or my bitter wife as much as the others.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

Currently drinking Bobcaygeon Common Loon, not a fan, but just realised it was canned in June. I suppose I would give it another chance if it's fresh, but right now, there's not much there but malts.

I also had cans of Bench Ball's Falls, and Redline Clutch. I much prefer the both of those.

All that being said, I'm so happy I can make weekly visits to Barncat. Even though they opened in April, I'm pretty sure I've spent more money there than the LCBO ytd, liquor included.
"There's always money in the banana stand."

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Kish84 wrote:Currently drinking Bobcaygeon Common Loon, not a fan, but just realised it was canned in June. I suppose I would give it another chance if it's fresh, but right now, there's not much there but malts.

I also had cans of Bench Ball's Falls, and Redline Clutch. I much prefer the both of those.

All that being said, I'm so happy I can make weekly visits to Barncat. Even though they opened in April, I'm pretty sure I've spent more money there than the LCBO ytd, liquor included.

Just finished a loon myself and didn't enjoy it, like you say, all malts. I'll have to check the date....but now I'm assuming it's old much like yours. I've been trying to get to back to barn cat the last two weekends but haven't been able to, did you get any of the sour, if so how is it, as good as everything else?

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

sofakingdrunk wrote:
Kish84 wrote:Currently drinking Bobcaygeon Common Loon, not a fan, but just realised it was canned in June. I suppose I would give it another chance if it's fresh, but right now, there's not much there but malts.

Just finished a loon myself and didn't enjoy it, like you say, all malts. I'll have to check the date....but now I'm assuming it's old much like yours. I've been trying to get to back to barn cat the last two weekends but haven't been able to, did you get any of the sour, if so how is it, as good as everything else?
Lol me three. Actually drain poured it last night. Which I never do. I am guessing my can was old too by what you guys are saying... and in it's defence, I drank it immediately after a Clutch.