Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

General LCBO Debate & Discussion Thread

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

That is excellent news, you've just made my day.
Still haven't seen any O'Hara's hit shelves yet. Wife says it's constantly showing back order. My hope is fading that it's actually going to arrive.
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Craig wrote:Wow, I never thought I'd see the day. is the website doing the same thing?
From what I can tell, yes.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

CoolB wrote:
That is excellent news, you've just made my day.
Still haven't seen any O'Hara's hit shelves yet. Wife says it's constantly showing back order. My hope is fading that it's actually going to arrive.
That is less excellent news, but I'll keep my hopes up! At least the LCBO is finally carrying more sessionable/dry stouts lately. I was actually surprised by the Woodhouse Stout, it's not bad. Skinny Dipping is finally in the LC too so that'll tide me over. Overall the selection of darker beers seems to have really grown in the past year or so.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

[PRICE INCREASE] Nickel Brook Old Kentucky Bastard (750 mL bottle) is now $16.50 (↑ ¢55)

:(

Urotsukidoji

Post by Urotsukidoji »

spinrsx wrote:[PRICE INCREASE] Nickel Brook Old Kentucky Bastard (750 mL bottle) is now $16.50 (↑ ¢55)

Too bad, I really liked this years, but at these prices it's a one bottle a year treat

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

spinrsx wrote:[PRICE INCREASE] Nickel Brook Old Kentucky Bastard (750 mL bottle) is now $16.50 (↑ ¢55)

Whoa, it's as if Nickel Brook is charging a buck per each ABV percentage point. I really respect NB and this beer is quite powerful, but just nowhere near complex enough to be a good sipper at this price point. I already bought one this year under the previous price but just too much molasses for me, to come back to it this season.
Last edited by Lukie on Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Was looking on the lcbo site for camerons RPA. Not much to be found, so I tweeted to camerons "@CameronsBrewing any plans to get RPA back to the lcbo? Perhaps in cans?"

their reply: "Hi there thanks for your question. RPA is a delicious award winning beer. We are not brewing that style at the moment. If you like hoppy beers have you tried the smoked ale or the dark lager from our new 4 pack?"

:-? odd hoppy beer suggestions..

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Yeah I enjoy the hell out of most Nickel Brook beers, but as for respect... it's hard to hold that same respect after a price increase on a beer that is already on shelves. Fuck that bullshit. I didn't buy it at it's exorbitant previous price but was lucky enough to share a bottle. I certainly won't be purchasing it at that price. or any of their future big beer bottles (winey bastard) if it is coming in at similar pricing. Didn't buy the cuvee this year either. I'll just stick to their cans of quality beer. And looking forward to them opening their webshop.

But seriously fuck them for raising the price on a beer already on shelves. I don't even recall that happening before, but I could be wrong.
Last edited by Blasphomet on Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

It happens all the time.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Craig wrote:It happens all the time.
On seasonal beers that have only been on shelves for two months max?

This just screams to me of "OUR ORIGINAL PRICE POINT ON KENTUCKY BASTARD WAS SO SHIT NO ONE IS BUYING IT SO WE NEED TO JACK THE PRICE TO MAKE UP THE DIFFERENCE!!". Fuck off. Your beer is quality, but it ain't that special.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

That's silly.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

K.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Actually NB have fucked up a few times this past year imo. It's too bad, because I have always considered them one of the top tier breweries that is readily available in store. Not that I think their quality has dipped, but the price hike is not impressive.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Or maybe we've reassessed our costs and realized the beer cost us more than we originally thought.

Also, many LCBOs at this time of year will put the beer on clearance. Guess who eats that clearance price? We do.

Happy to hear you drink our cans however I'm sad to hear you think we're purposely trying to rip our customers off. I get that it's expensive (out of my price range too, tbh) but ripping on us for false assumptions is uncalled for. Maybe next time just ask why?
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

It really just puts the beer in the same price range of other comparable beers. Calling you guys assholes for giving us incredible deals for years but not anymore is silly.