Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

General LCBO Debate & Discussion Thread

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

maybethewater wrote:That's cool, prices appear to be off though.
there are a couple bugs on the site that i'm sure will get fixed eventually. caskhunter and LCBOWatch both have the same ABV sorting bug (anything over 9.9% gets sorted on the bottom or top). LCBOWatch doesn't even let you sort by price.

another third party site https://www.liquery.com/

maybethewater

Post by maybethewater »

JaseWescott wrote:
there are a couple bugs on the site that i'm sure will get fixed eventually. caskhunter and LCBOWatch both have the same ABV sorting bug (anything over 9.9% gets sorted on the bottom or top). LCBOWatch doesn't even let you sort by price.

another third party site https://www.liquery.com/
Thanks, hopefully it does get fixed. Good to have lots of options.

DerekD

Post by DerekD »

That's true- when I made it I was never concerned with the exact prices, I really wanted to know what was in stock. The prices listed right now are what the products first listed at on lcbo.com.

When I get around to updating I'll make it re-scrape pricing and log any changes. Then I can create a "price drop" page.

EDIT: Updated the scraper and re-scraped. Pricing should hopefully be correct from now on. I'm storing the price history so I'll add "Price drop" icons and a price chart when I get time.
Last edited by DerekD on Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DerekD

Post by DerekD »

JaseWescott wrote: caskhunter and LCBOWatch both have the same ABV sorting bug (anything over 9.9% gets sorted on the bottom or top). LCBOWatch doesn't even let you sort by price.
Ack! I never noticed this. EDIT: Fixed by adding a leading zero to ABV.

Just noticed that the "size" field sorts funny, but I don't think that's worth fixing...

maybethewater

Post by maybethewater »

DerekD wrote:
That's true- when I made it I was never concerned with the exact prices, I really wanted to know what was in stock. The prices listed right now are what the products first listed at on lcbo.com.

When I get around to updating I'll make it re-scrape pricing and log any changes. Then I can create a "price drop" page.

EDIT: Updated the scraper and re-scraped. Pricing should hopefully be correct from now on. I'm storing the price history so I'll add "Price drop" icons and a price chart when I get time.
Thanks!

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

The Buck-A-Beer Program is returning Fri Feb 14-16. if you're not interested in No Name Beer they usually put 6 packs of DAB, Henninger or Bavaria on sale for $9.90 (Good Filler beer).

No Name Beer is sold online and in-store but you can kinda circumvent the sale past Monday if you order online and have it delivered to a local LCBO for free, it will take 12-14 days but you will get every case you ordered at sale price 8) the next sale isn't until April.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JaseWescott wrote:The Buck-A-Beer Program is returning...
Such as it is. Link. Not feasible for brewers with the currently imposed tax structure.

I guess the race to the bottom wasn't such a competitive idea after all.
In Beerum Veritas

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

Belgian wrote:
JaseWescott wrote:The Buck-A-Beer Program is returning...
Such as it is. Link. Not feasible for brewers with the currently imposed tax structure.

I guess the race to the bottom wasn't such a competitive idea after all.
the date on that blog post is over 12 months old? Buck-A-Beer didn't start until Family Day 2019 :o you're probably right but according to LCBO it will keep on chugging this upcoming weekend with at least No Name (Brick) returning. who knows how long it will last? :-?

I tried No Name last year and found it to have fruity yeast esters like a Euro Lager albeit boosted with syrup but drinkable compared to 90% of the Inventory sold at The Beer Store. there is no real branding behind it so I don't think any Homer is gonna fall in love with it but it's certainly not a bad beer, some bloggers torched it unfairly. Barley Days beers were decent except every long weekend I would look under the cans and they always read Sep 2018 :oops:

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

LCBO has switched to some flimsy cardboard 6-pack carriers. Introducing them was a good idea (10+ years too late) but please be careful. These new flimsy carriers do not support the weight of 6 beers, the handle will fail under the weight. I sent a sharply-worded email to the LCBO customer service and received the following reply:

"We always appreciate feedback from our customers, so please be assured that I have forwarded your comments concerning the carriers’ structural integrity to our marketing team for review."

:roll:

maybethewater

Post by maybethewater »

JaseWescott wrote:The Buck-A-Beer Program is returning Fri Feb 14-16. if you're not interested in No Name Beer they usually put 6 packs of DAB, Henninger or Bavaria on sale for $9.90 (Good Filler beer).

No Name Beer is sold online and in-store but you can kinda circumvent the sale past Monday if you order online and have it delivered to a local LCBO for free, it will take 12-14 days but you will get every case you ordered at sale price 8) the next sale isn't until April.
Thanks for the heads up man, looks like it's only no name right now.

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

maybethewater wrote:
JaseWescott wrote:The Buck-A-Beer Program is returning Fri Feb 14-16. if you're not interested in No Name Beer they usually put 6 packs of DAB, Henninger or Bavaria on sale for $9.90 (Good Filler beer).

np. you can't buy No Name Beer online anymore. I was hoping DAB would be on sale but I'll still buy No Name for the nights when my palate is shot and I don't feel like diving into my cellar.

maybethewater

Post by maybethewater »

JaseWescott wrote:
maybethewater wrote:

np. you can't buy No Name Beer online anymore. I was hoping DAB would be on sale but I'll still buy No Name for the nights when my palate is shot and I don't feel like diving into my cellar.
Yeah, the availability isn't great in my area either, it's too bad, buck-a-beer was good while it lasted.

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

maybethewater wrote:
JaseWescott wrote:
maybethewater wrote:Yeah, the availability isn't great in my area either, it's too bad, buck-a-beer was good while it lasted.
that sucks. my local LCBO had over 30 cases, they didn't even bother building a display or change the price tag (still read $9.90 a case)

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

I noticed today they have updated the Utopias price. Has this come and gone and I missed it? Or, is it coming? Anyone have an idea?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Coronaeus wrote:I noticed today they have updated the Utopias price. Has this come and gone and I missed it? Or, is it coming? Anyone have an idea?
Just showed up, there's stock online, but they also email blasted it so it might go fast.