Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

General LCBO Debate & Discussion Thread

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

$

General LCBO Debate & Discussion Thread

Post by $ »

[ADMIN NOTE: This thread was originally part of another thread discussing the LCBO Summer 2011 release, but was split due to going off topic. It can now be used for general debate, discussion and complaining about the LCBO.]

2XIPA / SOUTHERN TIER BREWING CO. INC. / 8.2 / 355 / $2.95

$1.99 at Premier...the amazing power of the lcbo to buy in bulk discount for the benefit of all Ontarians...losers

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Lakewood to Buffalo doesn't involve crossing any borders and the extra duties that incurs. Loser
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

icemachine wrote:Lakewood to Buffalo doesn't involve crossing any borders and the extra duties that incurs. Loser
Does the lcbo have to pay any import duties?

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

mintjellie wrote:
icemachine wrote:Lakewood to Buffalo doesn't involve crossing any borders and the extra duties that incurs. Loser
Does the lcbo have to pay any import duties?
The importing agent (R+R) does I believe, and they are going to pass those on to the customer
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

$ wrote:2XIPA / SOUTHERN TIER BREWING CO. INC. / 8.2 / 355 / $2.95

$1.99 at Premier...the amazing power of the lcbo to buy in bulk discount for the benefit of all Ontarians...losers
12 of these at the LCBO: $35.40

12 of these at Premier: $23.88
Plus Cost of Gas going to Buffalo: $30.00
Plus Crossing the bridge: $3.50
Plus Potential Taxes if I get a not so nice border agent coming back into Canada: $7.00

Total Cost: $64.38

Signed:

A loser.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

sprague11 wrote:
$ wrote:2XIPA / SOUTHERN TIER BREWING CO. INC. / 8.2 / 355 / $2.95

12 of these at the LCBO: $35.40

12 of these at Premier: $23.88
Plus Cost of Gas going to Buffalo: $30.00
Plus Crossing the bridge: $3.50
Plus Potential Taxes if I get a not so nice border agent coming back into Canada: $7.00

Signed:

A loser.

John,

Trolls don't understand common sense and logic. But at least you can say you tried. :)
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
sprague11 wrote:

Signed:

A loser.

John,

Trolls don't understand common sense and logic. But at least you can say you tried. :)
Good points to consider John. But most people would not drive to Buffalo for one six-pack of something that already sells here (and might be fresher.)

More likely a traveler to Premier / Consumers / VBM would amortize the 'hard costs' over a larger number of bottles, and focus on hard-to-find or desirable/seasonal US beers not ever, ever, ever sold here. I literally add 30% to the 'shelf' price of anythng I put in the cart, adding it up in my brain - then am grateful if it works out cheaper after all costs. Housewares and clothing can also be so cheap these offset other costs a LOT.

Plus it would be almost foolish to not plan to go have a good time at Coles, Elmwood Village etc. It's partly just a fun adventure. All of which I'm sure you already know! ;)
In Beerum Veritas

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
sprague11 wrote:
$ wrote:2XIPA /

John,

Had a much bigger response, and lost it in submission...

I don't have a dog in this fight, but the point shouldn't be what it would cost an individual to buy from either source.

I think it is legitimate to point out that a giant like the LCBO is charging an alleged premium for a product compared to a much smaller retailer nearby. Edit: for example while they are a big retailer, they are probably not a comparatively big purchaser of this product??
Perhaps there are legit reasons for that. But the cost of gas for me to go to Buffalo is not one of them.

notdan

Post by notdan »

As much as we all complain about the LCBO, I have trouble doing so over the pricing of imports. While $3 may not be a bargain for 2XIPA, I think it's reasonable. Most of all, I'm grateful to have constant access to beers like Weihenstephaner and Aventinus (and semi-regular access to Chimay, Orval, Westmalle, Het Anker, etc.) for half the price they are in US stores (at least the ones I've visited in Vermont and Michigan).

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Belgian wrote:

More likely a traveler to Premier / Consumers / VBM would amortize the 'hard costs' over a larger number of bottles, and focus on hard-to-find or desirable/seasonal US beers not ever, ever, ever sold here. I literally add 30% to the 'shelf' price of anythng I put in the cart, adding it up in my brain - then am grateful if it works out cheaper after all costs. Housewares and clothing can also be so cheap these offset other costs a LOT.

Plus it would be almost foolish to not plan to go have a good time at Coles, Elmwood Village etc. It's partly just a fun adventure. All of which I'm sure you already know! ;)
True - I never grab anything that is at Beer Store or LCBO when I cross the border. I just thought it was nutty from Dollar Sign to crap on the LCBO price when buying the same thing at Buffalo would cost a lot more unless you're bringing back 2 cases worth. As a Follow Up in the name of fairness I give you:

Cost of Gas to Buffalo: $30.00
Cost of Bridge: $3.50
12 Troeggs Nugget Nectar: $28.00
12 Dales Pale Ale: $20.00
4 Southern Tier Oak Aged Unearthly: $40.00
Food and drinks at Blue Monk: $40.00
Tax on beer: $22.00

Somehow I have an easier time justifying $180 spent for a good meal with a couple drinks and some bottles (and cans) we never see in Canada. :wink:

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

For the most part the value of the LCBO seasonals is unquestionable. At least 3 out of 4 beers they import from pretty much anywhere in the world work out to cheaper than you'd get them in the border states. What people fail to consider when it comes to a beer like Southern Tier is that orders from upstate NY can't be consolidated in shipping like, say, European beer orders. There's no wine or liquor being shipped from upstate New York so the smaller orders, like ST, get charged a shipping premium.

While there are legitimate issues with some of the policies of the LCBO pricing is generally not one of them.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

Jon Walker wrote:While there are legitimate issues with some of the policies of the LCBO pricing is generally not one of them.
Agreed. And let's not forget that any discussion comparing prices in Canada and the U.S. should begin and end with one word: taxes.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

sprague11 wrote: Somehow I have an easier time justifying $180 spent for a good meal with a couple drinks and some bottles (and cans) we never see in Canada. :wink:
Going to Buffalo as a mini-vacation is a high-value experience, even for a few hundred bucks spent. Still a cheap day-cation! I always come back relaxed and refreshed (and feeling I've gotten the better of Ontario's uptight regulators.)
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

biegaman wrote:
Jon Walker wrote:While there are legitimate issues with some of the policies of the LCBO pricing is generally not one of them.
Agreed. And let's not forget that any discussion comparing prices in Canada and the U.S. should begin and end with one word: taxes.
Yes we also pay a lot of taxes twice crossing back (and probably some tax-on-tax.)

With Southern Tier 2X let's not prejudge our store prices. I think importers Roland & Russel have always been thoughtful and fair in setting their margin to introduce exciting new stuff while attracting enough sales and also somehow make a living. Remember - they adjusted (downward) the once-high price of ST IPA as soon as they were able and it's a steal once again.
In Beerum Veritas

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

AND 2xIPA is an IIPA which always costs a premium over single IPA's. Again, you guys are lucky to have a beer of that quality available at that price.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.