Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

General LCBO Debate & Discussion Thread

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

portwood

Post by portwood »

midlife crisis wrote:Cite the evidence that "privatize the LCBO" was part of the new government's platform. I'm sure you will find it was not.
They had a platform?
Wow, and the whole time I assumed Drug Fraud was just making shit up as he went along ...
@markhamwhisky

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

midlife crisis wrote:Cite the evidence that "privatize the LCBO" was part of the new government's platform. I'm sure you will find it was not.
Perhaps I would, if that had been a thing that I had actually said and not merely a strawman of your own construction.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

darmokandjalad wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote:
darmokandjalad wrote:Conservatives love dismantling profitable public corporations and then selling off the parts. They would much rather see that cash cow being milked by their friends and cronies in the private sector.
hmmm. 91 years since a Conservative government started the LCBO and 11 Conservative Premiers before Doug Ford all point to you being incorrect.
If you're seriously suggesting that the PCs will keep their hands off the LCBO explicitly because it was originally a brainchild of the conservative movement a century ago then... well, thank you for saving me the time that I would have otherwise wasted attempting to have an intelligent discussion with you.
Yes, I’m suggesting history, alongside no promise of future privatization, point to you being incorrect. But you’re obviously the intelligent one and I’m just a dumb dumb, so what do I know.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

darmokandjalad wrote:
Perhaps I would, if that had been a thing that I had actually said and not merely a strawman of your own construction.
I obviously misinterpreted "dismantling profitable public corporations". This is a beer-related board so you might see how I could infer that you were talking about the LCBO. Simple me. No doubt you were having much deeper thoughts.

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

You're right guys, I'm sorry for suggesting that the Doug Ford-led PCs may do something stupid for short-term gain. How silly of me.

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

midlife crisis wrote:
I obviously misinterpreted "dismantling profitable public corporations". This is a beer-related board so you might see how I could infer that you were talking about the LCBO. Simple me. No doubt you were having much deeper thoughts.
You asked me to cite evidence of something I didn't assert (namely, that I produce evidence that Ford said he was going to privatize the LCBO, which again, is not something I said). I know damn well Ford hasn't said anything about privatizing the LCBO, which is why I did not say that.

What I said is that I do not trust conservatives to leave well enough alone, based on the fact that I paid attention during the last time they were in power. My post was merely a manifestation of my own pessimism, not a prediction of the future.

Also, you guys sure are friendly, calling me smart and stuff.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

quote="darmokandjalad"]You're right guys, I'm sorry for suggesting that the Doug Ford-led PCs may do something stupid for short-term gain.[/quote]

Don't disagree with that. I'm not supporting Doug Ford as the optimal outcome for Ontario. I'm just saying I think there is little chance that he intends to privatize the LCBO. On balance, I think he may turn out to be more open to a loosening of some of the dumber rules surrounding beer that all of us on here hate, compared to either of the other parties. Buck a beer, baby!
Last edited by midlife crisis on Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

midlife crisis wrote:Don't disagree with that. I'm not supporting Doug Ford as the optimal outcome for Ontario. I'm just saying I think there is little chance that he intends to privatize the LCBO. On balance, I think he may turn out to be more open to a loosening of some of the dumber rules surrounding beer that all of us on here hate than either of the other two parties would have been.
I've seen no inclination that Ford himself has any interest in doing it, yet. I also don't think he's a real conservative either, but that's neither here nor there. It's the people who he surrounds himself with who will determine what happens.

If it turns out that the Liberals have been fudging the fiscal numbers (again - not something I'm asserting, just floating it as a possibility), selling off the LCBO is one guaranteed way to make a quick buck, 407 style. A paranoid thought, sure, but we live in an increasingly ridiculous world.

I'd love to see some of those dumb rules loosened, but Ford doesn't seem the type of person to pay a lot of attention to nitty gritty social policy-wonk details like those mentioned upthread (e.g. growler fill rules or making the import system less byzantine). One exception: the extension of alcohol sales hours could be a winner for him, because that's the sort of thing that (should be) easy to change and will win him easy points (and not just from his base).

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

if anybody is wondering where the 2018 Autumn Import/Seasonal list is this year. HelloLCBO seems to have goofed up

https://hellolcbo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1017

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

JaseWescott wrote:if anybody is wondering where the 2018 Autumn Import/Seasonal list is this year. HelloLCBO seems to have goofed up

https://hellolcbo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1017
Autumn Seasonal Craft Beer Release 2017

What products will be part of the Seasonal Beer Program this fall?

Our selection of Autumn Seasonal Craft beer start rolling out to stores the week of September 16th, 2018 and continue throughout the Fall period. Autumn Ales are available in participating Premium Specialty Beer locations until December 8th, or while supplies last.

Here is a list of products available through this program (click on any product number to view availability):

LCBO 58875 Aventinus Eisbock - 500 ml - Germany
LCBO 374629 Fullers Russian Imperial Stout- 500 ml - United Kingdom
LCBO 397695 New Holland Dragon's Milk - 650 ml - United States
LCBO 526491 Cuvee Van De Keizer Imperial Blond - 750 ml - Belgium
LCBO 157834 Gouden Carolus Ambrio- 330 ml - Belgium
LCBO 617530 Morangie Barrel Aged Hibernator Oatmeal Stout- 330 ml - United Kingdom
LCBO 84889 Hofbrau Oktoberfestbier - 500 ml - Germany
LCBO 106237 Doppel Hirsch Doppelbock - 500 ml - Germany
LCBO 518720 St-Ambroise Pumpkin Ale- 473 ml - Canada
LCBO 629386 Ommegang - Rosetta - 750 ml - United States
LCBO 618603 Bring out the Imp- 330 ml - United Kingdom
LCBO 629394 Boulevard - Whiskey Barrel Stout - 355 ml - United States
LCBO 417014 Ayinger October Fest Marzen - 500 ml - Germany
2017 release hitting stores the week of September 16, 2018? That seems about right. ;)

Might as well start a new thread for this: http://www.bartowel.com/forum/viewtopic ... 15&t=10972
Here's to the slow path.

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

boozewatch.ca was acting up again. it wasn't able to properly inventory all the Autumn beers or any new ciders the last 30 days or so. appears to be fixed :)

roland

Post by roland »

The Dragon's Milk stout price increase is annoying. Last fall, it was $8 and then it jumped to $10 a few weeks later.
When it hit the shelves last week, it was $9.95 and now it's $10.70. Won't be surprised it will rise again next month.

munrets

Post by munrets »

A moment of reflection:

KBS has been sitting at my local 'BO for ages, not moving whatsoever.

KBS is effectively now a shelf turd.

2018, amirite?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Lol, same. I was in today to get some DuPont and they had KBS and regular breakfast stout just sitting there in volume.

Orval_Al

Post by Orval_Al »

I was one of those lucky bastards who bought a couple KBS four packs for the price of one. Ever since then I haven't been able to pay the price for just one.